Lost Metal Chapters 14 and 15 reactions

Nathrangking

Very intriguing and game-changing chapters.

Are Ghostbloods connected to Sazed? Someone supposed (in Stormlight forum section, IIRC) that Ghostbloods could be Southern Scadrians intelligence, and i just thought: what if Harmony and Kelsier were conspiring all this time and Ghostbloods are their own intelligence troops?

And now i'm dying of curiosity about this harmonium piece...

2 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

https://www.tor.com/2022/10/31/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-fourteen-and-fifteen/

Waynes mystery men are investment bankers!! I never thought I'd see the day!!

LOL, I wonder if this was drawn at least partly from personal experience on Brandon’s part with his relatively sudden thrust into the big time, first by being tapped to complete TWoT and then with becoming the poster boy for Biggest Kickstarter Evah

Poor people get chased by debt collectors…

So it stands to reason that suddenly rich people with publicly known names and faces and contact info get chased by people with “investment plans”

Edited by robardin

1 hour ago, con1vm said:

Very intriguing and game-changing chapters.

Are Ghostbloods connected to Sazed? Someone supposed (in Stormlight forum section, IIRC) that Ghostbloods could be Southern Scadrians intelligence, and i just thought: what if Harmony and Kelsier were conspiring all this time and Ghostbloods are their own intelligence troops?

And now i'm dying of curiosity about this harmonium piece...

I don't think that Sazed and Kelsier are in close communication since in BoM Sazed says that no one is sarcastic towards him since Kelsier... something. Whatever the "something" is, it seems the two are not talking 

I can't wait to see if Wax, the absolute mad lad, managed to do the thing... The horrors and wonders that could be done.

Also, on a side note, I find it interesting that VenDell thinks Harmony is in equilibrium. Since sapience on Scadrial is via Preservation, Harmony would theoretically be tilted toward Ruin and thus slightly out of balance. I would have thought a studious seeming kandra like VenDell would be aware of this.

Edited by Knight Oblivion

7 minutes ago, Knight Oblivion said:

I can't wait to see if Wax, the absolute mad lad, managed to do the thing... The horrors and wonders that could be done.

Also, on a side note, I find it interesting that VenDell thinks Harmony is in equilibrium. Since sapience on Scadrial is via Preservation, Harmony would theoretically be tilted toward Ruin and thus slightly out of balance. I would have thought a studious seeming kandra like VenDell would be aware of this.

Whether or not VenDell or another kandra would have thoughts about this (or realized they should have thoughts about this), Cosmere readers have posed that to Brandon, and gotten an explicit acknowledgement and RAFO about "that extra bit of Ruin" that Harmony has been doing something with:

rags

How is Harmony balanced when a part of Preservation's power is expended on human sentience? Isn't that what caused all the trouble to begin with?

Brandon Sanderson

Indeed. Hm... What could Sazed be doing with that extra power...

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

Mojonero

In Era 1 there was an imbalance between Ruin and Preservation because humans had a bit more Preservation than Ruin in them. After Harmony became a thing did this imbalance become [ir]relevant because both powers turned into one, or is it something Sazed had (or has) to deal with?

Brandon Sanderson

This is a RAFO for now--should come up in Era 3.

General Reddit 2021 (Jan. 5, 2021)

39 minutes ago, robardin said:

Whether or not VenDell or another kandra would have thoughts about this (or realized they should have thoughts about this), Cosmere readers have posed that to Brandon, and gotten an explicit acknowledgement and RAFO about "that extra bit of Ruin" that Harmony has been doing something with:

I think the main hypothesis is Harmony is still creating Atium, or has some somewhere. I'd imagine he wouldn't let Marsh die once the atium he took in Era 1 runs out.

That does lead to the question of what happens when atium is burned, something I'm still a bit confused on. Where does that power go?

4 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

I must say that it is curious that they are coming into the open now. I'm also curious why Harmony is being cagier than usual which is saying something. Just wait until Wax remembers why the symbol looks familiar.

There's also the theory on the Ghostblood emblem being based on the Marewill flower (and we have canon art for it now which seems to support that - at least in this thread showing the swag pack, not sure where that's actually located).

Edited by Ashbringer

5 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

I think the main hypothesis is Harmony is still creating Atium, or has some somewhere. I'd imagine he wouldn't let Marsh die once the atium he took in Era 1 runs out.

That does lead to the question of what happens when atium is burned, something I'm still a bit confused on. Where does that power go?

There's also the theory on the Ghostblood emblem being based on the Marewill flower (and we have canon art for it now which seems to support that - at least in this thread showing the swag pack, not sure where that's actually located).

That is precisely where my mind went. If that is the case then Kel's involvement in events may become common knowledge across scadrial. 

I'm happy that we finally have a description as to what Lerasium actually looks like, a Blueish-White. I was thinking it would be the gold to Atium's silver. Looks like I was wrong.

Also the description of 'weird things happen when too much Harmonium is in one place' makes me wonder if perhaps this might be because it'll start bringing the Realms together? Not actually creating a full-blown Perpendicularity but just nudging things together.

Also Wax still hasn't asked about the letter he got, plus it seems he does actually want to become a Mistborn. Interesting.

Allik calling Harmony a 'False God' is hilarious to me, I can't wait to see if and how he reacts to the whole 'The Survivor and Sovereign are the same guy and isn't an actual God' reveal.

And the Ghostbloods are going to try to recruit Marasi? I think that if they try to do it the same way they did for Shallan then they'll either scare her off or p!ss her off or both.

The Wayne parts didn't quite interest me the same way but I do hope that Wayne will find a way to overcome his own crippling guilt and self-loathing.

Also he's gonna be rich! Good for him.

This week chapters were fun as now we finally get to meet more Ghost Bloods outside of morally ambiguous characters like Mraize. But as always if Sanderson is gonna use Chemistry and Science to explains his world I'm gonna dig into his use of it and its implications. So in the chapter we find out that Wax can almost separate the Larasium from the Atium by passing a current through Harmonium by pulling on it. This would never work on an actual alloy but I think what Sanderson is doing is trying to show us that the metal's positive and negative portions of it can be split by applying a positive and negative bias to it. The Larasium (positive) gets attracted to the anode and the Atium (negative) gets attracted to the cathode, and then pulling the anode and cathode apart would help separate the two. Did anyone else make this connection?

1 minute ago, Wolf Brother said:

What if Trell is an avatar of Harmony. We know he has to siphon off his excess Ruin. Maybe it gained sentience and became Trell. (Trell was an old religion that Sazed taught) The antithesis of Harmony.

Ehhhh I personally doubt it, because if that were the case then Harmony would know who is trying to mess with Scadrial, since it is his power and all, but he doesn't know a single thing about Trell. Plus the 'Red Ring around Scadrial' thing from BoM almost explicitly implies (to me at least) that Trell isn't from Scadrial. This theory doesn't quite add up for me.

3 hours ago, Oldbackpac said:

This week chapters were fun as now we finally get to meet more Ghost Bloods outside of morally ambiguous characters like Mraize. But as always if Sanderson is gonna use Chemistry and Science to explains his world I'm gonna dig into his use of it and its implications. So in the chapter we find out that Wax can almost separate the Larasium from the Atium by passing a current through Harmonium by pulling on it. This would never work on an actual alloy but I think what Sanderson is doing is trying to show us that the metal's positive and negative portions of it can be split by applying a positive and negative bias to it. The Larasium (positive) gets attracted to the anode and the Atium (negative) gets attracted to the cathode, and then pulling the anode and cathode apart would help separate the two. Did anyone else make this connection?

Is there an explanation why harmonium is repelled from Trellium at rest, but explodes when reacting with it in this "almost separated" state?

I think Harmonium always repels Trellium but the explosion was caused separating the two halves, Atium and Larasium from the Harmonium. I imagine the scene with the Harmonium forming a dumbell shape, with one circular glob of Larasium on the left, one circular glob of Atium on the right and the Trellium coming right in the middle like a knife forcing the two to apart and causing a big explosion. 

6 minutes ago, Yuliya said:

Is there an explanation why harmonium is repelled from Trellium at rest, but explodes when reacting with it in this "almost separated" state?

Any scientific explanation would probably need a lot more specifics on the "science" that is happening, but my guess is Trellium gets between the "atium" and "lerasium" and either 1) makes it release a lot of energy to overcome Trellium's repulsive force in order to recombine or 2) actually separates and releases a lot of energy that way. Or potentially annihilates the Trellium or Harmonium, which would work well with Steris's "how much energy can a piece of metal hold" comment, but would be weird magic-system-wise.

2 hours ago, Wolf Brother said:

What if Trell is an avatar of Harmony. We know he has to siphon off his excess Ruin. Maybe it gained sentience and became Trell. (Trell was an old religion that Sazed taught) The antithesis of Harmony.

Well, that would mean trellium was atium, which it isn't. And as mentioned, we have a WoB that seems to confirm Harmony is doing something with the excess Ruin rather than just ignoring it and hoping it goes away. The most common theory I've seen is he's creating some atium, perhaps for Marsh and Spook.

40 minutes ago, hitkay said:

Well, that would mean trellium was atium, which it isn't. And as mentioned, we have a WoB that seems to confirm Harmony is doing something with the excess Ruin rather than just ignoring it and hoping it goes away. The most common theory I've seen is he's creating some atium, perhaps for Marsh and Spook.

Maybe Harmony made a new Perpendicularity with it? Not sure where he'd put it or what reason it should narratively exist but he could have.

Hold on, Lerasium is blue, Harmony's suspected Perpendicularity from a news sheet is also described as blue. Coincidence? Perhaps. Or maybe this adds weight to Harmony having 2 Perpendicularities.