OK before I start spoilers for a rhythm of war so what’s going on with adolin it’s obvious in the book that Maya is getting better so what does that mean for adolin well he become a radian maybe a edgedancer Since Maya is a cultivation spren Or maybe something else it seems like in the book he doesn’t want to become a radiant I don’t know what do you guys think

Edited by Blue-phoenix186
Spell correct

11 hours ago, Blue-phoenix186 said:

OK before I start spoilers for a rhythm of war so what’s going on with adolin it’s obvious in the book that Maya is getting better so what does that mean for adolin well he become a radian maybe a edgedancer Since Maya is a cultivation spren Or maybe something else it seems like in the book he doesn’t want to become a radiant I don’t know what do you guys think

He might get some kind of powers, but likely won't become a radiant. At least not in the traditional sense. Because the way radiants work is a spren bonds a creature from the physical realm. But Maya can't bond anybody, shes too broken. Instead, Adolin is bonding her. We don't know the implications or effects of this yet, but It'll probably do something for one of them, or at the very least make Adolin the only non-surgebinder with a living blade. (An interesting compliment to his wife, who has 1 living blade and 1 half living blade.)

My prediction is that Adolin's rehabilitation is, in large part, fixing a problem in the Cognitive Realm by way of a Shard other than any of those on Roshar (my guess is Devotion). I don't think that that will grant Adolin any powers, at least on Roshar, as Surgebinding seems to have been pretty neatly locked away by Honor. I expect that Maya will be healed more or less fully. I do think that the implications of that process will be really important to addressing events on Sel, but we may not see that unfold for quite a while and Adolin might not be directly involved.

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, Kendelian said:

I’ve had the theory that Adolin would resurrect Maya and become an Edgedancer because his personality fits the Edgedancers pretty well and also because he is helping Maya. I think that if he swears the First Ideal then Maya will truly wake up.

That's not enough. Adolin isn't the person that broke Oaths. You need to do something more than reswearing Ideals in that case.

Spoiler

Questioner

And I also have a question about the nature of spren being dead. Specifically about whether or not they can be resurrected. Because ideas can never really die...

Brandon Sanderson

Ideas can never really die--

Questioner

... Cognitive creatures--

Brandon Sanderson

They are Cognitive creatures. This is theoretically possible but very difficult without the people who originally betrayed their oaths.

Words of Radiance Washington, DC signing (March 20, 2014)

Spoiler

Questioner

With Syl being able to be revived, is Adolin ever going to be able to revive his own blade, or--

Brandon Sanderson

Ah, that would be very difficult, because the original-- in most cases, the original person who broke the oath would have to be the one.

Firefight San Francisco signing (Jan. 17, 2015)

Spoiler

Kaladin al'Thor

I noticed my last time reading Words of Radiance that there were several times-- vines that were on Adolin's shardblade as he summoned it. So I was wondering if maybe the Radiant who used it had was an Edgedancer?

Brandon Sanderson

You are right.

Kaladin al'Thor

You mentioned before that it would be possible to revive a dead shard[blade], but it would be very difficult--

Brandon Sanderson

Very difficult.

Kaladin al'Thor

Like I think what you said is that it would have to be the same person that broke the bond?

Brandon Sanderson

That would be the-- Yeah.

Kaladin al'Thor

So if it was an Edgedancer's blade if he made those same oaths could potentially he…

Brandon Sanderson

That would most likely not be enough. Something else would have to happen. Good guess though.

Firefight release party (Jan. 5, 2015)

Edited by alder24

Yes he says that just re-speaking the oaths would not be enough and “something else” would have to happen.

But Adolin Has done something else.  He has initiated a new bond with Maya and is feeding her strength.  This hasn’t been done before with a Deadeye with a dead Radiant.

So this could be the “something else” or more could still be needed.

Others have speculated that Maya won’t fully heal unless BAM is freed from captivity which is a valid theory.

My personal theory is that the combination of Adolin, Renarin, and Dalinar could heal Maya.  Adolin to provide the physical bond, Renarin to provide the template for the “perfected” version of Maya, and Dalinar to re-connect her properly to the three realms.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

So..what if Adolin restores Maya fully but can't bond her like a regular radiant, but is close with Cultivation because of his bonding Maya the opposite way it's supposed to go..and then bonds the Nightwatcher? So there will be three Kholin bondsmiths? 

I don't think he would bond with the Nightwatcher, he doesn't look like a Bondsmith, he certainly has characteristics of Edgedancer. Bonding Nightwatcher isn't just about connection to Cultivation (everybody on Roshar has one) but about being worthy of being her Bondsmith. Lift bonding Nightwatcher is something that people theorize, because of her boon given to her by Cultivation, and she is one of the three people that met with her, and now one of those is Odium, second one is bonded with Honor remains, likely to restore Honor, so many think Lift will became Nightwatcher Bondsmith as well, and even Ascend to Cultivation later.

But yes, if Adolin becomes a Nightwatcher Bondsmith, there will be 3 Kholin Bondsmiths.

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

I don't think he would bond with the Nightwatcher, he doesn't look like a Bondsmith, he certainly has characteristics of Edgedancer. Bonding Nightwatcher isn't just about connection to Cultivation (everybody on Roshar has one) but about being worthy of being her Bondsmith. Lift bonding Nightwatcher is something that people theorize, because of her boon given to her by Cultivation, and she is one of the three people that met with her, and now one of those is Odium, second one is bonded with Honor remains, likely to restore Honor, so many think Lift will became Nightwatcher Bondsmith as well, and even Ascend to Cultivation later.

But yes, if Adolin becomes a Nightwatcher Bondsmith, there will be 3 Kholin Bondsmiths.

I am curious how it would work to be an Edgedancer and a Bondsmith? But, I realize that I can't say "This can't happen" because most of what is happening with the radiants now, is breaking "the rules" with Tanavast being dead in the first place. So sure, maybe Lift with do all that and more? I certainly love every second of her on screen.

15 minutes ago, JohnnyKaizen said:

I am curious how it would work to be an Edgedancer and a Bondsmith? But, I realize that I can't say "This can't happen" because most of what is happening with the radiants now, is breaking "the rules" with Tanavast being dead in the first place. So sure, maybe Lift with do all that and more? I certainly love every second of her on screen.

It's not that it could had happened before, it could, if both sprens would be willing to share the bond. And spren don't like to share their bond.

Spoiler

Questioner

Could someone bond with two spren and wield two swords?

Brandon Sanderson

It is theoretically possible, but the spren aren't going to like it.  So you are not going to see it very often.

Firefight Seattle Public Library signing (Jan. 7, 2015)

And there are limits of how much soul can take:

Spoiler

Questioner

Is someone limited to how many Nahel bonds they can form, or could someone go play Pokéspren and catch them all, getting access to all Surges?

Brandon Sanderson

There are limits to what a soul can handle. These limits are soft caps, not hard caps. Pokéspren is theoretically possible, but there would be hoops, not just the normal "I want to bond two spren" hoop, which is already a pretty big one.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 4 (June 16, 2022)

But yeah, any person who can be a Bondsmith and any other Order at the same time might get some very interesting and crazy power combinations. They can boost their own surges, create their own light, have new resonances, not to mention what they could do with connections.

I doubt Adolin will bond the Nightwatcher.

I theorized in another thread that Lift has Already bonded the Nightwatcher and is already a Bondsmith.  This would explain her knack with language, unique connection to Lifelight, and ability to freely enter Bondsmith visions.

If I’m wrong, I think the next most likely candidates are Leshwi, Moash (I know, unpopular theory lol) or Rock (no real reason, just feels right).

1 hour ago, Marabout said:

I doubt Adolin will bond the Nightwatcher.

I theorized in another thread that Lift has Already bonded the Nightwatcher and is already a Bondsmith.  This would explain her knack with language, unique connection to Lifelight, and ability to freely enter Bondsmith visions.

If I’m wrong, I think the next most likely candidates are Leshwi, Moash (I know, unpopular theory lol) or Rock (no real reason, just feels right).

I would be overjoyed for Leshwi to be radiant in any way, but as a Bondsmith, that would be fantastic. When my spouse and I talk about Moash, we generally refer to him as This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rulesing Moash, because well, he's a horrible person. That said, Dalinar was a monster, and he's the leader of the Knights Radiant. Szeth murdered how many people, including Dalinar's brother, and look where he is now. Moash is just as capable of redemption as anyone in the Cosmere. It's strange to me how some people don't want good for certain characters, when one of the strongest themes that Sanderson weaves through the Cosmere is that anyone can find the light again, if they reach for it. That said, I would prefer Moash be a windrunner if he breaks from evil..but whatever. In the mean time, he's a super jerk.

Rock can be anything and everything. I love that dude.

If Lift is a Bondsmith, or will be, I'd really appreciate it if Cultivation would give a bit more instruction or something. I LOVE Lift. I really do want to see much more of her. She clearly is something special for a multiplicity of reasons..I'm impatient though. lol.

Edited by JohnnyKaizen