Hemalurgic Spike Tips

JustQuestin2004

Question

If you add a non-Hemalurgic metal on the tip of a Pre-Charged Hemalurgic Spike then stabbed someone in the right Bindpoint, would the tip that isn't part of the Spike get in the way?

Like let's pretend you add a titanium tip to a Copper Spike to help with stabbing through some kind of armor, would the titanium part that stabs in first interfere with the Copper Spikes ability to rip people's memories out of them?

8 answers to this question

10 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

If you add a non-Hemalurgic metal on the tip of a Pre-Charged Hemalurgic Spike then stabbed someone in the right Bindpoint, would the tip that isn't part of the Spike get in the way?

Like let's pretend you add a titanium tip to a Copper Spike to help with stabbing through some kind of armor, would the titanium part that stabs in first interfere with the Copper Spikes ability to rip people's memories out of them?

Im going to say No, because the Intent element is so critical to what is taken when harvesting Spiritweb with a Spike. You'd either Rip out a chunk and charge the non-charged tip (assume it was a viable metal), Or you'd implant the pre-charged bit and ignore the bit in the way.  Or if the coating went around the whole object so the viable metal never touched blood, it might fail entirely and just cause a stab-wound.  

11 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

I read this title and sort of thought that it was tips on how to use Hemalurgic spikes, and I was very worried.

Ha! Nah it means what it means in a literal sense. I was just wondering about this since if you wanted to spike something that has armor on it you'd need a little something extra on the Spike to punch through said armor. Like trying to stab a Warform Singer to get with an Iron Spike to get extra Strength. 

12 hours ago, Quantus said:

Im going to say No, because the Intent element is so critical to what is taken when harvesting Spiritweb with a Spike. You'd either Rip out a chunk and charge the non-charged tip (assume it was a viable metal), Or you'd implant the pre-charged bit and ignore the bit in the way.  Or if the coating went around the whole object so the viable metal never touched blood, it might fail entirely and just cause a stab-wound.  

So what you mean is, so long as the added stabbing tip of the Spike isn't a viable metal and the rest of the actual Spike is touching the target's blood, then it would work?Am I geting that right?

11 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

So what you mean is, so long as the added stabbing tip of the Spike isn't a viable metal and the rest of the actual Spike is touching the target's blood, then it would work?Am I geting that right?

More or less.  You cant (by current in-world understanding) steal more than one attribute from a single person with a single stabbing.  You have to have specific Intent to rip that single piece off, one chunk per Ripping Action.  So if, for example, you took 4 different (viable) metals rods and twisted them into a function spike shape (but didnt heat them to alter their alloys or anything), you could stab the multi-spike into a person but could only Charge 1 of the four metals from that person.  You could do that three more times with three more victims and get all four metals charged, but you'd have to physically separate them an implant them in different Bind Points to get all 4 effects.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:00 AM, Shallan Stormblessed said:

I read this title and sort of thought that it was tips on how to use Hemalurgic spikes, and I was very worried.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:09 PM, JustQuestin2004 said:

Ha! Nah it means what it means in a literal sense. I was just wondering about this since if you wanted to spike something that has armor on it you'd need a little something extra on the Spike to punch through said armor. Like trying to stab a Warform Singer to get with an Iron Spike to get extra Strength. 

I was sad when I found out that it was litteral.

But, as to the original question, I think that if you were to tip a spike with a different metal to aid with piercing armor, then you could likely make it work, but as Quantus said, perception, Intent, and whether the metal metal intending to be charged touches blood is going to determine whether it is possible or not. But I would say that you could probably do it.

I don't know how to do spoilers, but for WoA:

Spoiler

I don't think the viable metal needs to be in contact with the blood, just the coated spike in general, due to vin's earring. Additionally, I think you could charge a viable metal coated in another viable metal.

Edited by IlstrawberrySeed

4 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I don't know how to do spoilers

Click the "Eye" icon then type in the spoiler box

4 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I don't think the viable metal needs to be in contact with the blood, just the coated spike in general, due to vin's earring. Additionally, I think you could charge a viable metal coated in another viable metal.

Vin's earring was described as bronze with a light silver gild (mostly worn off), implied to have been on the "stud" not the "post."

Spoiler

WoA Ch 5:
Vin reached up, fingering the simple bronze earring that was the only thing she had as a memento of Mother.

WoA Ch 33:
Absently, she pulled out her bronze earring—her mother’s earring—and worked it between her fingers, watching it reflect light. It had once been gilded with silver, but that had worn off in most places.

HoA Ch 54:
A servant approached Vin, bearing something on a small platter. Her mother’s earring. It was a dull thing, Allomantically, made of bronze with some silver plating. Much of the silver had worn off years ago, and the brownish bronze showed through, making the earring look to be the cheap bauble it was.