Adonalsium… ium?

CognitiveShadow

So assuming Adonalsium operated in a similar way as His shards that we see in the cosmere… he’d have a god metal right? Would it be called adonalsiumium? Or is the name Adonalsium a reference to the god metal and His name is actually just Adonals? 

These are the questions keeping me up at night.

Hum yes! 'Tis an excellent question, sir! I would guess that Adonalsium would be the name of the Shard - after all, none of the other shards are known by their god metals. Therefore, Adonalsiumsium would be the name of the god metal.

BUT

We must also note that Adonalsium is also referred to as just "Ado" which could indicate that he perhaps has a shorter name than Adonalsium, such as Adonals.

But, in the end, I think that Adonalsiumsium is much more fun to say, and should therefore be the name of the god metal.

I hope this response will help you sleep at night!

39 minutes ago, Telrao said:

Adonalsium would be the name of the Shard

Eh, minor nitpick but we shouldn't get into the habit of calling Big A a measly Shard. He's the God of the Cosmere after all.

I assume that Adonalsium's Godmetal would either be found on Yolen or would form if you somehow alloyed all 16 God Metals together.

12 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I assume that Adonalsium's Godmetal would either be found on Yolen

I always assumed Dragonsteel was his Godmetal.

Though from, RoW spoilers

Spoiler

it still seems canon that Dragons have/grow Dragonsteel on their bodies(or at least some type of metal)  Im assuming its Dragonsteel cause thats how it was in Dragonsteel Prime.  So im not sure how that would play in...

Edited by Eternal Khol

10 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Hide contents

it still seems canon that Dragons have/grow Dragonsteel on their bodies(or at least some type of metal)  Im assuming its Dragonsteel cause thats how it was in Dragonsteel Prime.  So im not sure how that would play in...

Interesting, that would break the God Metal naming pattern but their name is already weird.

Would this imply that Ado could be a Dragon? Because everythings better with Dragons.

3 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Eh, minor nitpick but we shouldn't get into the habit of calling Big A a measly Shard. He's the God of the Cosmere after all.

I assume that Adonalsium's Godmetal would either be found on Yolen or would form if you somehow alloyed all 16 God Metals together.

All good points, I would assume that the Shards are the way they are because they follow how Adonalsium operated in some kind of pattern. Definitely worth keeping in mind that Ado was a whole heck of a lot different than the people running the show these days.

It makes sense that Yolen and a combination of the other godmetals would have / create his metal though. I like that. But what would it do?

3 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

Whoah interesting! I’ve never had a chance to read Dragonsteel prime. What does the dragonsteel do in that book? I wonder how dragons play into it all, maybe they had a special tie to Adonalsium or something?

6 minutes ago, CognitiveShadow said:

It makes sense that Yolen and a combination of the other godmetals would have / create his metal though. I like that. But what would it do?

Maybe Adonalsiumsium could turn whoever uses it into a a tiny Shard with a brand new Intent?

After all taking in pieces of Adonalsium's Pure Investiture was what caused the Original 16 Vessels to Ascend.

Edited by JustQuestin2004

1 minute ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Maybe Adonalsiumsium could turn whoever uses it into a a tiny Shard with a brand new Intent?

After all taking in pieces of Adonalsium's Pure Investiture was what turned the Original 16 Vessels to Ascend.

I like that, so maybe Adonalsiums intent was like “exalt” or something like that?

Just now, CognitiveShadow said:

I like that, so maybe Adonalsiums intent was like “exalt” or something like that?

I'm not sure if Adonalsium had the same kind of 'Intents' as Shards do.

With everything shown thus far I think that the 'Intents' might just be Aspects of Adonalsium's own personality.

Also I could see Adonalsiumsium becoming an incredibly valuable macguffin in Era 4, with all the intergalactic societies trying to get their hands on all the God Metals they can to do just this. After all this theory of Adonalsiumsium granting Divinity to anyone seems like too big a possibility to ignore, especially as info about Adonalsium and the nature of the Shards becomes more and more known across the Cosmere.

9 minutes ago, CognitiveShadow said:

What does the dragonsteel do in that book?

I havent read it but you can get a glimpse in the sample chapters released. Dragonsteel started as a liquid metal at first. Once touched, it could be formed into any shape with Intent and would then permenently harden into that shape and was indestructable, and apparentely could cut through anything(shardblade-esque)

31 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Also I could see Adonalsiumsium becoming an incredibly valuable macguffin in Era 4, with all the intergalactic societies trying to get their hands on all the God Metals they can to do just this.

That would be crazy, and it would actually make sense too. If people can figure out how to combine godmetals, they could get them all together in one and see what it does. Curious that Hoid hasn’t been doing anything like this, just been trying to pick up all the magical abilities associated with each one…?

16 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

I havent read it but you can get a glimpse in the sample chapters released. Dragonsteel started as a liquid metal at first. Once touched, it could be formed into any shape with Intent and would then permenently harden into that shape and was indestructable, and apparentely could cut through anything(shardblade-esque)

Wow that’s interesting, it sounds very shardbladey, I wonder if it stays as is or if Brando cannibalized some of that for stormlight? Either way I’m excited to see dragons get involved here haha

1 minute ago, CognitiveShadow said:

That would be crazy, and it would actually make sense too. If people can figure out how to combine godmetals, they could get them all together in one and see what it does. Curious that Hoid hasn’t been doing anything like this, just been trying to pick up all the magical abilities associated with each one…?

Perhaps because Hoid specifically doesn't want to take up a Shard?

After all Shards can't stay in one place for too long or they get stuck there by unintentionally Investing into it.

1 minute ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Perhaps because Hoid specifically doesn't want to take up a Shard?

Yeah I get that, but what does Hoid want then? Just to get as much power as possible without strings attached? Gain connection to as many shards as possible? Just out there living his best life and looking for opportunities to get payback on people like Rayse and Bavadin from back in the day?

1 hour ago, CognitiveShadow said:

Yeah I get that, but what does Hoid want then? Just to get as much power as possible without strings attached? Gain connection to as many shards as possible? Just out there living his best life and looking for opportunities to get payback on people like Rayse and Bavadin from back in the day?

My headcannon is that Hoid is gathering up all these magic systems in order to reassemble Adonalsium.  

14 hours ago, CognitiveShadow said:

So assuming Adonalsium operated in a similar way as His shards that we see in the cosmere… he’d have a god metal right? Would it be called adonalsiumium? Or is the name Adonalsium a reference to the god metal and His name is actually just Adonals? 

These are the questions keeping me up at night.

To some of us the "ium" in the name is evidence Adonalsium manifested as a "metal" on Yolen. Whatever killed him/her/it seems to have splintered the metal into the shards. 

Some ideas I have seen are that aluminum/Ralkalest is the dead body of Adonalsium. The fact the metal has two names may be a hint that something is up there. 

I have seen others argument for silver. 

Edited by teknopathetic

8 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

To some of us the "ium" in the name is evidence Adonalsium manifested as a "metal" on Yolen. Whatever killed him/her/it seems to have splintered the metal into the shards. 

Some ideas I have seen are that aluminum is the dead body of Adonalsium. I have seen a similar argument for silver. 

Wow lots to think about there! Really interesting…. Hopefully we get some additional insights on like breaking up or combining metals in the lost metal in a couple weeks!

While I understand the hype of this potentially immensely powerful godmetal, a large part of me believes its possible that Adonalsiumium wouldn't be so much powerful as fundamental. We are led to believe that Adonalsium is the source of all investiture in the Cosmere, which is equivalent to saying he was functionally united with all matter and energy, due to investiture being another form of those. If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I would say that Adonalsium's godmetal could in many ways be said to be the spiritual realm itself. That is, it is the reason why all metal is weird in the Cosmere and has unique investiture interactions. In some sense, every metal might be Adonalsium's godmetal. Or perhaps all matter itself is the physical manifestation of Adonalsium's investiture, aka. his godmetal. Or perhaps the material souls are composed of is his godmetal. Wax did see with the Bands of Mourning that metal and souls are made of the same stuff after all. My ultimate point being, I'm not certain we should be looking for a specific material to be Adonalsiumium. It might be something a lot more common yet significant than that.

10 hours ago, CognitiveShadow said:

AMEN. Plain and simple.

9 hours ago, CognitiveShadow said:

Wow that’s interesting, it sounds very shardbladey, I wonder if it stays as is or if Brando cannibalized some of that for stormlight? Either way I’m excited to see dragons get involved here haha

Please, for Ado's sake, don't double/triple/quadruple post!

At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon and a "Quote" link (as well as "Edit" on your own post so you can update it). On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Most importantly, you can combine these methods
    • For example: Multi-quote two or more posts, then place the cursor at a desired point and highlight part of another post and add that as well (if you don't want to use multi-quote and get a copy of a long post)
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .

Hope that helps.

Edited by Treamayne

4 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

The + icon is multi-quote.

Hey what do you know, it worked!

8 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

My ultimate point being, I'm not certain we should be looking for a specific material to be Adonalsiumium. It might be something a lot more common yet significant than that.

I think you have a point here, that point being that we have no real ideal how this is all gonna shape out haha but yeah I totally get what you’re saying. Given that Ado was THE god of the entire cosmere, he’d be part of everything. Kind of like how there are bits of ruin and preservation in everyone on scadrial. I could see it being more foundational or fundamental like you’ve pointed out

35 minutes ago, CognitiveShadow said:

I think you have a point here, that point being that we have no real ideal how this is all gonna shape out haha but yeah I totally get what you’re saying. Given that Ado was THE god of the entire cosmere, he’d be part of everything. Kind of like how there are bits of ruin and preservation in everyone on scadrial. I could see it being more foundational or fundamental like you’ve pointed out

Maybe there's actually two types of Adonalsiumsium, with the difference based on it's formation being Pre or Post-Shattering?

Like the Pre-Shattering Adonalsiumsium could be what was described, something not powerful but incredibly fundamental.

But Adonalsiumsium that was created Post-Shattering, such as perhaps by alloying all the God Metals together, that would create something very powerful but less inherently fundamental.

This is just pure speculation but it has been stated that Godmetals change if their Shard does. Harmonium being an example of this,

Edited by JustQuestin2004