The 17th Shard Symphony Orchestra (and other musicians)

9 minutes ago, Tani said:

So you're saying that because you know a lot of annoying violinists, we're all annoying? If we have to earn your respect, maybe we should have to earn your bad opinion too?

Edit: Also I misunderstood you because I thought you were talking about the instrument, not the players of the instrument.

sorry if you misunderstood me, most violinists have earned my bad opinion, I know most of them personally. So I try to keep an open mind.

13 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

sorry if you misunderstood me, most violinists have earned my bad opinion, I know most of them personally. So I try to keep an open mind.

*mind boggles for a moment* wait what

do you mean most violinists in your orchestra/area or do you mean most violinists, full stop?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have played the violin (for about 9 years; I didn't like it and quit twice [don't ask]), the piano (for about 11 years, then quit due to time constraints), the organ (to keep up the piano skills), and the Irish pennywhistle (I don't play this as much as I should; it's super fun, though!). I also have approximately 30 total minutes, each, of bass and cello experience (because I was helping out with a summer orchestra program and we didn't have enough experienced bassists one of the days to teach the newbies who'd never touched a bass before, and cello looked fun to play with). I've gotta say, my fingers never hurt so bad as when I played the bass for a few minutes. Y'all who play it well are incredible.

17 hours ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I'm asking. @Ookla

Hehehe. How did I know somebody would probably do that? ;)

Basically, because my dad is an orchestra teacher, he was also my violin teacher, and as such I was required, as a child, to learn to play the violin. But I eventually got fed up with it and quit--then discovered that I was bored without all that time being filled by (admittedly, very, very poor) violin practice and took it up again, only to quit again a few months later because I really, truly don't like playing the violin.

And then, because I needed to fill the time, I took up organ, and that is much more fun! Pianists always feel intimidated when they look at the organ and realize you have to play notes with your feet, too, and it is a bit of a different skill, but once you get used to it, playing around with the stops and making big noises is awesome! Totally worth it!

• 2 weeks later...