The 17th Shard Symphony Orchestra (and other musicians)

Nice to meet you all!

I hereby call this meeting of the 17SSO to order, at [whenever you read this] and in the [wherever you are] rehearsal studio.

Present: 

@MysticalShadows ~ Misty

[mentally add your name if you would like to attend this meeting - all are welcome!]

Agenda: At the suggestion of SpinningSky, I believe we should consider what music could be used for various Cosmere films. There’s a piece (not original) I’m playing at the moment that I think really fits the Battle of the Tower in tWoK - I’ll edit this post and add a recording when I have a chance to record - so if anyone else has any other ideas, original or not, feel free to submit them if you want! Equally, you don’t have to, if people want to use this as a discussion about all things musician-y then you can absolutely do that as well. 

How do people want to use this thread?

edit: omg i just read that back. how the scud am i so formal sometimes and so informal other times, completely unintentionally:wacko:

Edited by MysticalShadows

I got tickets to see James Galway (if you haven’t heard of him, he’s this super famous amazing flautist) but I was ill on the day of the concert. I moped for weeks.

In terms of what I’ve actually seen - probably the Orchestra of the Swan (google them) playing Finlandia by Sibelius. Made my classical music soul burst from happiness. Such an amazing piece, played by an amazing orchestra :wub::wub:

ugh i hate autocorrect

11 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

CELLO & PIANO

Time to ping some people that I know play instruments (sorry if I missed you)

@The Wandering Wizard

@That1Cellist

@Ta'veren Kaladin

@Rabbit Unmade

@Tani

@Emery the Steelrunner

Hey, somebody remembered me! This actually made me very happy.

I play Tuba as my primary instrument, baritone/euphonium as a secondary, I dabble in piano, used to play Viola(and recorder, I guess), and want to learn the organ. That looks more impressive than it is 

does anyone watch twoset violin on youtube? if you haven’t, they’re really funny (even if they have kind of monopolised the entire classical music community on yt) and post content that’s entertaining but also educational. and it’s thanks to them that i have such an unnecessarily large knowledge of violin concertos for a flute player :P

On 18/10/2022 at 6:17 PM, MysticalShadows said:

There’s a piece (not original) I’m playing at the moment that I think really fits the Battle of the Tower in tWoK - I’ll edit this post and add a recording when I have a chance to record - so if anyone else has any other ideas, original or not, feel free to submit them if you want! Equally, you don’t have to, if people want to use this as a discussion about all things musician-y then you can absolutely do that as well. 

How do people want to use this thread?

I would be very curious to hear that!

I would love to in general to hear ideas, both original and not, for soundtracks for different book moments. Of course I wish we could make it all original, but that's a bit challenging :lol:

I'd like to see a montage of Taravangian waking up and writing the Diagram scored to "in the Hall of the Mountain King"

Also, I don't know if people are aware of this, there is a soundtrack for SA by "The Black Piper" you can find on spotify (album name is "Kaladin")

I just listened back to my recording and cannot believe I’m sharing this on the internet for all to see. This is a very, very inaccurate representation of how I usually sound.

So, bearing in mind this piece is pretty hard for me, and I have a sore throat so it’s hard to make a decent tone, and I’ve only been playing it for a few weeks, and this is only my third day practicing with the piano (which by the way I take no credit for, I found it on spotify)… considering all that…

… here you go. Listen at your peril.

street tango with piano.m4a

(read after you’ve listened)

Spoiler

that awkward moment when you crack the last note because it says tutta forza (full force) and you overblow

edit: if it wasn’t clear, this is in relation to SpinningSky’s post requesting to hear the piece I mentioned in my previous post that I said sounded like the battle of the tower. I think it sounds like that battle because its all up, down, up, as if its switching povs between dalinar/adolin’s anger at *spoiler* and kaladin’s inner peace at picking up a spear again.

1 hour ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

We totally should compile audio submissions from people. Is there anyone good at editing here?

I know from experience that unless most of us could use some high-quality recording material, every individual record will be okay but when you compile you will just get a complete mess

It's really fun to record though

8 hours ago, Just a Silvereye said:

I know from experience that unless most of us could use some high-quality recording material, every individual record will be okay but when you compile you will just get a complete mess

It's really fun to record though

I didn't say the final result would have to be good...

17 hours ago, MysticalShadows said:

edit: if it wasn’t clear, this is in relation to SpinningSky’s post requesting to hear the piece I mentioned in my previous post that I said sounded like the battle of the tower. I think it sounds like that battle because its all up, down, up, as if its switching povs between dalinar/adolin’s anger at *spoiler* and kaladin’s inner peace at picking up a spear again.

I must say I really don't see the parallel:lol: the piece is quite cool, but to me it sounds more like... Wit screwing around with people, or maybe a scene panning over several bridge four members spending time during an evening, with the Lopen screwing around, then Teft having sad flashbacks and such

As a general reccomandation for everybody, if you're into film scores, I can't reccomend enough this youtube channel : Sideways
He talks a lot about leitmotifs, which I think would be super important for a Cosmere story to hold the whole thing together