Lost Metal Chapter 10 and 11 Reactions

Little_Dagger

Chapters 10 and 11 here

First off... MeLaan going to another planet?! Awesome! I think Sel is the most likely candidate because of the Ire, but I can't wait to know for sure. And the way it is set up, Marasi is almost certainly going too :)

Speaking of Marasi - I loved that there are stories written about her in broadsheets now. It is a beautiful thing to do for her as a character, considering her youthful inspiration with the Dawnshot stories.

Next, any ideas who Wayne owes money? Is it potentially related to his bendalloy (over)consumption?

And, we finally got to see Allik... hot choc never spoils a book :)

13 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I'm looking at the bowler hat people, and I think that Wayne might be helping other people out of trouble rather than being in it himself.

And the Set is obviously trying to sneak a bomb into Elendel.

Honestly, I am so used to Wayne getting in trouble (I mean there literally exists a report folder of his mischieves), that I didn't think of that. I hope you are right.

As for the bomb, the book blurb implies that as well

I second (third) the suspicions that the "bean counters" from the "accounting department" that is sending out men in bowler hats to find Wayne are not dunning him for debt collection (given how rich he reflected on having become in BoM), more likely trying to give him his share of profits from investing in Sophie Tarcsel's experiments with electricity at the end of Shadows of Self and him wanting her basically to keep it.

There seems to be a huge point in favor of the theories that the "second earring" that Harmony implied he'd need to make "with the proper metal, when it arrives" is trellium; though given its effect on Paalm/Bleeder/Lessie, it would be circumspect to use the first earring he's got, to confirm that of Harmony, before plugging in trellium into his other ear.

1 hour ago, robardin said:

There seems to be a huge point in favor of the theories that the "second earring" that Harmony implied he'd need to make "with the proper metal, when it arrives" is trellium; though given its effect on Paalm/Bleeder/Lessie, it would be circumspect to use the first earring he's got, to confirm that of Harmony, before plugging in trellium into his other ear.

I am still confused on why he got the first one (I would assume he would still have one) unless Harmony is experimenting with something that will cancel out Trellium? Maybe that is why he wants Wax to make an earring out of it to test if this is possible.  

I also agree on the guys looking for Wayne are trying to give him money. 

Excited to see where this goes with MeLann! I hope Kelsier does not punch her. Poor Wayne he is about to get his heart broken. 

Edited by StormingTexan

1 hour ago, robardin said:

I second (third) the suspicions that the "bean counters" from the "accounting department" that is sending out men in bowler hats to find Wayne are not dunning him for debt collection (given how rich he reflected on having become in BoM), more likely trying to give him his share of profits from investing in Sophie Tarcsel's experiments with electricity at the end of Shadows of Self and him wanting her basically to keep it.

This is definitely it. We have hints of his success in these investments (using the Alluminum profits from the earlier recovery) in the last two books and Wayne's disinterest in the finances from those investments. Though he could also be using some of it to buy extra bendalloy he may ultimately plan to leave it as a trust fund for the family of the man he killed. I hope that isn't foreshadowing along with perhaps the aging associated with his bendalloy use.

It's really looking like next chapter will be our first Wayne POV chapter. I really REALLY hope it's Allriandre whipping Wayne into shape (she should be an established lawyer by now) and not debt collectors due to bendalloy overuse. I don't know if I'm emotionally ready for a tragedy. 

Some other in-between-the-lines secrets

1. Wayne doesn't appear to have been living with Wax at the tower or MeLaan who's stuff is at the mansion, so does he have his own place? Oh, and he invented Noseball.

2. Allik was wearing an unpainted mask at the end of BoM and now has a painted one, so it's proof he earned back his debt, or whatever cultural equivalent. 

3. MeLaan's look may be a clue to where she is going: blonde hair, androgynous, blue trousers? Eh, idk 

Also, so many dorky moments. I love this group's dorky chaos

I agree on the bomb front, but what's interesting from the blurb is it sounds like it's a "new type of explosive", in a world where both dynamite and ettmetal exist and there shouldn't really be more high-scale weaponry for a while yet. So I'm wondering what that could even be... biggest scale up is nuclear but that would be a pretty big step

RoW Spoilers:

Spoiler

Could be an anti-Investiture weapon? Only other explosive in the cosmere I can think of, and would be another RoW tie with the Ghostbloods maybe showing up. Releasing a bunch of anti-mists right before the actual mists come out at night would certainly cause a big boom...

The constable seemed to think Trellium had explosive power, and we did see the Trell-Faceless Immortal that blew up at the end of Bands of Morning, although how much damage that did isn't really clear. Not a nuclear bomb by any means.

But Bilming specifically stocking up on dried food is giving me some Final Empire Storecache vibes.

Also unrelated, but I thought that the people writing about Marasi in the broadsheets were more gossip stories than heroic adventures, but I may have been reading into it wrong.

Hm, interesting that Harmony apparently only now starts  sending kandra out into cosmere. I thought that some suspected worldhoppers in other books may have been kandra and even MeLaan herself some years/decades ago, but apparently not…

There is a set up here for Marasi becoming a worldhopper and I very much hope that it comes to pass. Maybe the woman briefly seen in chapter 8 was not another member of the Set, but somebody from the organization mentioned in the blurb? And she recognized Marasi as a possible asset?

I also hope that Wax doesn’t forget to warn Allik about the new ambassador – the poor guy is very much going to find himself between a rock and a hard place shortly and will have to chose between going home for good or staying ditto.

Who are the university researchers investigating spikes? I thought that in the previous book spikes went to the kandra? I’d really like to see people other than Our Heroes figuring stuff out. My wish is for hemalurgy on Scadrial to eventually become something like donating a kidney, rather than murder and robbery. Oh, and trellium _is_ silvery, just with reddish spots. Maybe an alloy of atium with some other godmetal, after all?

4 hours ago, Isilel said:

I also hope that Wax doesn’t forget to warn Allik about the new ambassador – the poor guy is very much going to find himself between a rock and a hard place shortly and will have to chose between going home for good or staying ditto.

Really good point... Dang I hope the latter for Marasi but at the same time that's a huge ask to give up your whole country / people for your partner. Maybe... Allik also becomes a worldhopper with her? 

21 hours ago, Isilel said:

Hm, interesting that Harmony apparently only now starts  sending kandra out into cosmere. I thought that some suspected worldhoppers in other books may have been kandra and even MeLaan herself some years/decades ago, but apparently not…

Yes this is in fact odd. Way back in 2014 we have a WoB that Kandra have been on other worlds (there are more after this as well). I think we all assume Harmony sent them but now I am wondering if these were also spiked with Trellium... Or could the WH be Paalm? 

Questioner

Are there kandra hiding in any of your books, besides the Mistborn ones?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes there are! Yes there are.

JordanCon 2014 (April 11, 2014)

EDIT: There is also this WoB saying they are agents of Sazed so this would contradict my earlier thought that they were Trellium spiked. With the placement in the unofficial timeline of MBE2 and the WoBs being in 2014 the only non-mMistborn books we could have seen an off world Kandra would be Elantris, Warbreaker, tWok, tES and WoR. All of these should have happened before this current time period and I believe only the SA books after Sazed ascended so there seems to either be a continuity, timeline issue or WoB that have been retcon.  

Newan (paraphrased)

I asked what planet we have seen the kandra worldhopper on.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

He said "You have seen her before".

Newan (paraphrased)

I asked if she was an agent of Sazed

He said yes.

Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Sept. 4, 2014)

Edited by StormingTexan

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Yes this is in fact odd. Way back in 2014 we have a WoB that Kandra have been on other worlds (there are more after this as well). I think we all assume Harmony sent them but now I am wondering if these were also spiked with Trellium... Or could the WH be Paalm? 

EDIT: There is also this WoB saying they are agents of Sazed so this would contradict my earlier thought that they were Trellium spiked. With the placement in the unofficial timeline of MBE2 and the WoBs being in 2014 the only non-mMistborn books we could have seen an off world Kandra would be Elantris, Warbreaker, tWok, tES and WoR. All of these should have happened before this current time period and I believe only the SA books after Sazed ascended so there seems to either be a continuity, timeline issue or WoB that have been retcon.  

It is definitely possible that these WoBs from 2014 have been retconned. It is also possible though that Sazed had had Kandra out in the cosmere though they might not have been making a concerted effort to study these other worlds. We know he has been communicating with other worlds and his Kandra may have played a part in that.

23 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

It is definitely possible that these WoBs from 2014 have been retconned. It is also possible though that Sazed had had Kandra out in the cosmere though they might not have been making a concerted effort to study these other worlds. We know he has been communicating with other worlds and his Kandra may have played a part in that.

It's also possible kandra worldhopped of their own accord, or under the influence of the original Ruin/Preservation or The Lord Ruler. Or that it meant Sixth of the Dusk, which is post-Era 3.

Paalm appearing in White Sand or [insert story involving the entity known on Scadrial as Trell] is probably the most likely kandra cameo that is "relevant" though.

50 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

There are much more recent WoBs on the subject of a Kandra World Hopper (although nothing concise but they do hint at a Kandra on Roshar) I just posted the oldest ones. So I think Brandon wants us to know there is a Kandra on Roshar at the very least. Something seems to be off. It is possible though that Sazed kept some of the previous world hopping from MeLann I guess. 

Edit: Direct answer regarding a Kandra on Roshar although this one is older as well. 

Skaiiwalker (paraphrased)

Are there any kandra on Roshar?

Yes.

Skaiiwalker (paraphrased)

Is Axies one of them?

No, but good guess. The Aimians are a different race.

Teen Author Boot Camp (April 11, 2015)

21 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

It's also possible kandra worldhopped of their own accord, or under the influence of the original Ruin/Preservation or The Lord Ruler. Or that it meant Sixth of the Dusk, which is post-Era 3.

Paalm appearing in White Sand or [insert story involving the entity known on Scadrial as Trell] is probably the most likely kandra cameo that is "relevant" though.

Yes this was my initial thought but Brandon said under Sazed's control and this WoB was before Sixth of Dusk was published so it limits it to the books I posted above (assuming the WoBs are still correct). 

Edited by StormingTexan

7 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Yes this was my initial thought but Brandon said under Sazed's control and this WoB was before Sixth of Dusk was published so it limits it to the books I posted above (assuming the WoBs are still correct). 

Ah. Both were in 2014, but Sixth was from June. And missed that about Sazed, but unless Trell is somehow Discord-Sazed that means the kandra aren't Trell.

Maybe someone around Wit? Words of Radiance was fair game at that point, but not OB.

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

Ah. Both were in 2014, but Sixth was from June. And missed that about Sazed, but unless Trell is somehow Discord-Sazed that means the kandra aren't Trell.

Maybe someone around Wit? Words of Radiance was fair game at that point, but not OB.

Man I completely forgot Sixth of Dusk was published so long ago! So the two WoB from 2014 could be true in the first one he just mentions that there are Kandra on other worlds in the second one (after SoD was released he says we have seen the Kandra) so both could be accurate in reference to SoD. My only guess would be one of the "Ones Above". 

The problem is we also have a WoB stating there is a Kandra on Roshar and another one that we have seen one in OB which still does not add up timeline wise if MBE2 takes place after SA5 and what Melaan says is accurate. Possibly she is just an unreliable narrator or Sazed wanted to keep his Kandra world hopping spies a secret.  

On 10/18/2022 at 4:35 AM, Ashbringer said:

I agree on the bomb front, but what's interesting from the blurb is it sounds like it's a "new type of explosive", in a world where both dynamite and ettmetal exist and there shouldn't really be more high-scale weaponry for a while yet. So I'm wondering what that could even be... biggest scale up is nuclear but that would be a pretty big step

RoW Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Could be an anti-Investiture weapon? Only other explosive in the cosmere I can think of, and would be another RoW tie with the Ghostbloods maybe showing up. Releasing a bunch of anti-mists right before the actual mists come out at night would certainly cause a big boom...

The constable seemed to think Trellium had explosive power, and we did see the Trell-Faceless Immortal that blew up at the end of Bands of Morning, although how much damage that did isn't really clear. Not a nuclear bomb by any means.

But Bilming specifically stocking up on dried food is giving me some Final Empire Storecache vibes.

Also unrelated, but I thought that the people writing about Marasi in the broadsheets were more gossip stories than heroic adventures, but I may have been reading into it wrong.

I think that Wax will merely realize that the Set has access to Ettmetal bombs, as they already seem to be on a similar level to early nuclear bombs. Don't know why the blurb says 'new' when Wax already knows about it, but that seems the likeliest explanation, considering the existence of Ettmetal and the Set's interest in it in BoM.

So it looks like the Set are making new survival caches to wait out another doomsday? They are hording preservable foods as if they expect to wait out a deepness-like cataclysm. We have that "the ash will get you" line making these even more supported by the text. My guess, they are going to rev up the Ruin engine 

This is so much like the end of Era 1 Book 3. 

Edited by teknopathetic