• C u b e ? ? ?
    • I hate all of these options.

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Oh no no no no no

I make maps the old-fashioned way

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Oh no no no no no

I make maps the old-fashioned way

YOU HAVE DOUBLE POSTED! FEEL THE WRATH OF THE ANGRY NINJA HIT SQUAD!

:ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry:

Sorry. It needed to be said.

And yes, I intentionally double posted right there.

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

2 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

It’s my own goshdang thread. I can do what I want.

Yeah, I know. I couldn't miss an opportunity to send the angry ninja hit squad after someone.

Here, take this banana bread as a token of my apology.

download (24).jpeg

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

Just now, Ranryu said:

Why didn't anyone tell me this existed? I've been considering joining a RP besides the insanity clinic, but they all seemed overly complicated and generally intimidating. Is it too late to want in?

NOPE, JOIN US!

Also the google doc is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VHsQ-f-ypn_8t6Vug8LhpPFziCLI6qKEapW6N44yhiQ/edit

Quite a lot, ideally. :) The most important thing is that any magic you create fits into the elemental framework:

What defines a magic system is its elements. An element is a basic aspect of nature, representing a crucial tenet of the world’s founding. Users of a magic system draw in power from one or more of their elements. They can then use that power to manipulate one or more of their elements.

Other than that, try not to step on anyone else's toes and you should be fine!

Sorry for the double post, but I would like to express an idea.

Magic systems should, to some extent, be localized. Each people/area has their own magic, and generally speaking people from that area have that magic. I would like to codify this in the laws for this world somehow.

Most of the systems described so far seem to be genetic in inheritance. Are there objections to instituting this as a general rule?

@Channelknight Fadran

Edited by xinoehp512

32 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

As I said in the doc, I'm mostly fine with this. Here's how I'm having essence work in a more localized way:

Anyone can use the lower forms of essence, starting a fire, digesting the energy of food, etc. In order to do the big stuff, make a fireball, jump of trees, turn water to wine, etc., one must be a mage. In order to become a mage, you must bond with essence at an essence shrine, of which there are only a couple for each type of essence (between 8 and 12 total). Some of these are well known, some closely guarded secrets, some just unfound.

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

Most of the systems described so far seem to be genetic in inheritance. Are there objections to instituting this as a general rule?

As a side note: I think it would also be possible to allow magic systems to have an alternate method of initiation.

I am going to mandate this:

Magic systems are all localized to an extent. Often they are genetic, and when they aren't they're only practiced by certain cultures. It is certainly possible to possess more than one form of magic, but doing so would require either a mixed bloodline or to fully participate in another culture for long enough to learn their magic.

4 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I am going to mandate this:

Magic systems are all localized to an extent. Often they are genetic, and when they aren't they're only practiced by certain cultures. It is certainly possible to possess more than one form of magic, but doing so would require either a mixed bloodline or to fully participate in another culture for long enough to learn their magic.

Would it make sense to say that there are two ways to gain a magic system- by birth or by initiation?