Weird Similarities

Immortal Platypus

Question

Spoiler

So I saw on the Coppermind that Ati (former Vessel of Ruin) has "shadows moving beneath his skin, akin to spines or spider legs. They push against his form, making it pucker outwards erratically." I was wondering if that has anything to do with the monks of the Dakhor Monastary's bone formations or if they are similar but unrelated.

Thanks ya'll

3 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what that is, but don't click this explanation if you mind spoilers for Rhythm of War.

Spoiler

That was the power of Ruin's corruption making itself apparent within Ati's manifestation at the time. Rayse-as-Odium was unfit for the power of his Shard and eventually it began to rule him, as shown in the last bargain Rayse makes with Dalinar in RoW:

"He appeared different from when Dalinar had last seen him. He still resembled a wise old man with a grey beard cut to medium length. A paternal air. Sagacious, knowing, understanding. Only now his skin was glowing in places, as if it had grown thin and a light inside was seeking to escape."

-Rhythm of War page 1172

Ati was similarly unsuited for Ruin, with Leras noting the extreme changes in his personality brought on by the corruption of such an inevitably destructive (in one way or another) Shard on a previously kind soul.

The difference in manifestation is due to how the Vessel views the Shard or how the Shard manifests in some way, since the bound Physical manifestation of Ruin was black smoke, accounting for the shadowy feel, where the times Odium manifested in some Physical capacity were as burning light.

The same is probably evident with Cultivation, who per Hoid probably loves the idea of "Cultivation as Mother Nature" and who's form was shown blending into the undergrowth. 

But coming from a Shapeshifting race she might have a whole different relationship with her physicals form, unlike the Human vessels.