Who is Hoid's target (listener) in SP3?

robardin

I was really busy back in March-April and actually forgot to read the early chapters of SP3 and SP4 when they came out; finally went and did so.

Aside from the obvious questions already under discussion, I wondered who Hoid's supposed to be telling the story to. I kind of don't like the idea that "it's us", i.e., "the dear reader in the human world", which is way too much of a "breaking the fourth wall, I know I'm a ficitional storyteller" thing... But assuming his audience is within the Cosmere, who would Hoid be talking to in such a familiar tone?

Someone who is familiar both with several Rosharan bases for analogies (Veden or Alethi looks to people, comparisons to a chull, mention of Design as a Cryptic without explanation, etc.), yet also "rice, as you'd call it on Scadrial" (which is not known on Roshar)?

Someone actually from Scadrial, then, but who's spent time on Roshar? And who has a "modern viewpoint" of venerating people in an "essential job" like "teachers, firefighters, and nurses", and comparisons to incandescent light bulbs... So... Someone of at least Mistborn Era 2 or later.

That would also fit in with us seeing Design in that noodle shop in Kilahito, as MB Era 2 is known to take place in the gap between SA5 and SA6, so Hoid being a coat rack is a minor spoiler that Hoid will be "stasisified" somewhere in there, but after getting Design off of Roshar somehow. (Possibly at the same time as he appears as a projected illusion to interact with Nomad/Sigzil in SP4, i.e., he is physically static but still cognitively active?)

Could it be... Marasi? It's hinted in the blurbs for the as-yet-unreleased capstone to MB Era 2, The Lost Metal, that Marasi will be recruited by some off-world agency.

(Also: seeing Hoid used as a coat rack brought back old memories of a certain long-petrified wizard in the second "Merlin Cycle" of The Chronicles of Amber books by Roger Zelazny, I doubt that's a coincidence, LOL)

Edited by robardin

Brando said on SP1:

Yes, he’s telling the story in-world to someone. You might be able to pick up some of the context of who he’s talking to–but it’s not meant to be explicitly obvious. You don’t need to stress about that, as it’s not relevant to the story. Just know that this isn’t written to you (you don’t exist in the cosmere) but is instead meant to be him telling the story to someone in the cosmere listening.

I don't think it's Marasi, she probably isn't gonna worldhop (Hoid is talking to someone cosmere-aware).

Edited by AltonicKeys
wrong link so i remove

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 9:46 AM, AltonicKeys said:

Brando said on SP1:

(https://wob.coppermind.net/events/76/#e6172)
This likely applies to SP3 too.

I don't think it's Marasi, she probably isn't gonna worldhop (Hoid is talking to someone cosmere-aware).

What does that WoB have to do with this? That is a Shadows of Self Signing from 2015, and is about Nightblood. 

Also, my thoughts, is it is someone that is at least familiar with Roshar and Sel, particularly Roshar due to having way more references to Roshar and how Painter "would look Veden to you", which implies it isn't a Scadrian, I feel. And Sel due to the reference to "MaiPon Sticks"

22 hours ago, Firesong said:

Also, my thoughts, is it is someone that is at least familiar with Roshar and Sel, particularly Roshar due to having way more references to Roshar and how Painter "would look Veden to you", which implies it isn't a Scadrian, I feel. And Sel due to the reference to "MaiPon Sticks"

Could be Galladon. Oooh, or Khriss/Nazh...that'd be fun.

• 8 months later...

I'm guessing it is someone we haven't met yet. The only characters we have from the future so far are the people from sixth of dusk. They don't seem to know much about the comer, so they wouldn't understand the references. I'm guessing it is someone in the future we don't know yet, or a current character that will become immortal.