Alloy of Law Typo list

Cuaiir

One thing I've heard (possibly from Writing Excuses) is that readers typically skip over the dialogue tags anyway, once we figure out who is speaking. So in a way, a different verb or adverb with each one can be distracting. It also goes against "show, don't tell".

But I suppose it's a personal preference. I haven't seen many examples of that in published works.

Brandon talks about said book-isms

(starting at around 9:00).  Basically said is used because it is invisible, it doesn't derail readers from "dialogue reading mode" like most tags do.  I'm sorry if you don't like it but it is the industry standard and you're going to have to get used to it.  The overwhelming majority of writers and editors prefer said, and I don't see that changing.

Yes, ironically, this subject is something writers think quite a bit about, and they have decided that using just "said" is good enough for most uses.  If the reader is paying attention to the tags, the argument goes, then they aren't paying enough attention to the dialogue.

I have no idea whether this is really good or bad, but I do know that explicitly avoiding using "said" can make for some really, really distracting prose.  I've also read lots of works where "said" is the default go-to word and which were otherwise good to great.  I would make the argument that you shouldn't use said only if the replacement is actually better.

• 2 months later...

Figured someone should start one of these.

Page 202

Two instances of 'chromium' instead of 'cadmium,' which confused the heck out of me for a minute.

Whew, glad I checked this! I was just about to post a thread asking if it was a mistake after scratching my head for a bit and reading a few more pages to see if there would be some clarification 

• 1 year later...

I'm fairly certain that this has already been taken care of, but in HoA, in Chapter 4 on page 42, it mentions the Canzi religion, which seems really similar to the Cazzi religion mentioned in other places that talks about the sanctity of the body and such. Is this a typo, or was this a seperate religion?

EDIT- Never mind! It looks like Cazzi was the typo on the Wiki, and Canzi is canon. 

DOUBLE EDIT- Well, it looks like it's Cazzi in Book 1, then Canzi in Book 3. Which is canon? Or are we just going to say they're both names for the same thing?

• Chaos unpinned this topic
  • Chaos locked this topic
  • Chaos unlocked and pinned this topic