Lost Metal Chapter 5-8 Reactions

Little_Dagger

I am loving the Marasi and Wayne team! Also adorable that Wax straps Max to him and takes him flying. Really curious if we will see him in the future take after his father. 

I have been on the Trell = Autonomy for a while now but leaning more towards Trell=Autonomy+Odium. Only hang up here is what happened in RoW but who knows. Really thinking as gold is associated with Odium, Red will be associated with Autonomy (not to be confused with red signifying corrupted investiture). I think we are seeing a melding of two intents and this explains the "men of gold and red).  

So heres a crackpot theory:

10 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

It would be funny if Brandon throws us a curveball and Trell turns out to be, like, Endowment or something.

"You are fools! One day, the men of gold and red, bearers of the final metal, will come to you. And you will be ruled by them! Worship... Worship Trell and wait..."-Miles Hundredlives.

We are the fools. Trell isn't the men of red and gold, He's actually a stormfather or larger sized splinter of dominion and/or devotion(From the wording of Mile's quote, it might be both, which would be cool).This fragment is not actually odium, but has been twisted by odium after he shattered dominion and devotion, to establish dominion over worlds, and to be a devoted demi servant of odium, A rogue element unbound by his deal with honor(perhaps odium foresaw being stuck on roshar a while), paving the way for odium's future escape and conquests.
The red and gold part really doesn't make sense outside of being odiums colors(corrupted investiture is only red, not gold)

Edited by HavingTheHasHoidAPurpose?

This is a tangent but I think I figured out part of the foreshadowing of the prologue. 

Marasi or Marasi+Wax+Wayne+Steris are going to experience all three of the Allomantic Jak pieces of the story in parts 1, 2, and 3 of TLM. 

> Jak shoots a man in the eye and flies across the river - Marasi uses the ettmetal cube to fly across the dried chasm & shoots the Cycle in the face.

> In a den of snakes a man is injected with poison and melts. - sounds like a Trell F.I. or Kandra melting in a political area. 

> Into the belly of the beast and making him choke. - The big blow to the Set or Trell. Maybe the infiltration of Bilming, or something very literal like a mini-ascension 

Edit: and later in the scene we have Wayne's mother saying he's all endless things, which is pretty aligned with other's theories on Wayne going kandra by the end

Edited by Requiem17

On 10/7/2022 at 11:51 AM, Necessary Eagle said:

It would be funny if Brandon throws us a curveball and Trell turns out to be, like, Endowment or something.

I do think there is going to be a curve ball. My tin foil hat prediction is Trell is Kelsier with absolutely no real basis as to how or why and I am sure full of a million holes. However Brandon has said specifically the metal is not of Endowment. 

Questioner

The spike at the end of Shadows of Self, does that have anything to do with Endowment.

Brandon Sanderson

That is not from Endowment, I can go ahead and let you know that.

Shadows of Self Portland signing (Oct. 10, 2015)

3 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

I do think there is going to be a curve ball. My tin foil hat prediction is Trell is Kelsier with absolutely no real basis as to how or why and I am sure full of a million holes. However Brandon has said specifically the metal is not of Endowment. 

You think Kelsier just likes names starting with "T" (Trell, Thaidakar)? As good a reason as any, I suppose:D

I'm very suspicious about the earring that Wax receives, I don't think it's from Harmony. I agree if it was Trellium it would have been too recognizable. I could see it somehow being from Kelsier or used to communicate with him, it seems like something he would do, especially impersonating a God is like his M.O. now.

If it is from Harmony, the only thing I could think of would be if for some reason he wants Wax to have an Atium earring and Lerasium earring to be his "sword" that can both protect and destroy but unsure why earrings would be needed or what that would do. Both of those are "Lost metal" though right?

I was starting to getting nervous about potential foreshadowing with Max being so cavalier about heights. If something happens to that precious child I don't think I could take it...

21 hours ago, Dreamwa1ker said:

I was starting to getting nervous about potential foreshadowing with Max being so cavalier about heights. If something happens to that precious child I don't think I could take it...

I don`t think it is a foreshadowing, just showing that he is a little Steris - the heights and the way he plays with his soonie-pup really feels like Steris (the "spending time with wayne" is not but I guess that he got also a some part of Wax).

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 11:27 PM, Frustration said:

Definitely Odium.

Glowing red eyes, return of destruction, giving people immortality, and Gold.

Also I love how Trellium is giving different powers with Hemalurgy.

Lost metal is set after SA5 but written before SA5. So won't it spoil SA5? 

More importantly,

Era 3(modern era) will be set after the second half of SA, but written in between the two halfs of SA. So if trell is odium, wouldn't that definitely spoil SA second half?

Either odium vanishes in Era 3 because he was defeated on Roshar SA second half (very confusing for mistborn fans) or odium vanishes from the second half of SA and there is a new antagonist ( very confusing for SA fans)

So that's my reason for not thinking trell will be odium. Thoughts?

43 minutes ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

More importantly,

Era 3(modern era) will be set after the second half of SA, but written in between the two halfs of SA. So if trell is odium, wouldn't that definitely spoil SA second half?

Either odium vanishes in Era 3 because he was defeated on Roshar SA second half (very confusing for mistborn fans) or odium vanishes from the second half of SA and there is a new antagonist ( very confusing for SA fans)

So I will start with saying I go back and forth on if Odium is involved but lean towards him not being involved. That being said Brandon wrote Sixth of Dusk that is basically in the MB4 era so I think he could work it out in a way that does not necessarily spoil SA. Just because you know something happened does not mean you know how it happened and the how is really the story. You could easily consider the sample chapters for special projects as well as the Sixth of Dusk sequel to be spoilers (some are pretty dang major) for the future of the Cosmere but we are missing the context for how these things have come to be and that is the part I am still interested in. 

4 hours ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

More importantly,

Not a problem at all. Trell is not Odium himself but a large splinter or Avatar, not unlike an Unmade.

45 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Not a problem at all. Trell is not Odium himself but a large splinter or Avatar, not unlike an Unmade.

Sa spoilers

Spoiler

Has there been any set up for odium to create an avatar?

....except for moash?

Oh god, is trell moash???!

Rayse definitely wasn't the type to create avatars, but Tara doesn't seem like a person who would try it either. He wants to be the one to save them all after all, so i find it hard to think he will create an avatar at all

Edited by KaladinWorldsinger

2 hours ago, KaladinWorldsinger said:

Sa spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Has there been any set up for odium to create an avatar?

....except for moash?

Oh god, is trell moash???!

Rayse definitely wasn't the type to create avatars, but Tara doesn't seem like a person who would try it either. He wants to be the one to save them all after all, so i find it hard to think he will create an avatar at all

The vessel doesn't always get to choose. Additionally Brandon has said that Rayse had a plan to deal with Harmony. 

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

The vessel doesn't always get to choose. Additionally Brandon has said that Rayse had a plan to deal with Harmony. 

'Had' being the operative word, it's now Taravangian in charge and from what I understand is that a new Vessel doesn't have the memories of previous Vessels, otherwise Harmony wouldn't have so many questions about who Adonalsium was because Leras and Ati would have known, so I think that Taravangian won't remember the exact details of this 'Plan'.

2 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

'Had' being the operative word, it's now Taravangian in charge and from what I understand is that a new Vessel doesn't have the memories of previous Vessels, otherwise Harmony wouldn't have so many questions about who Adonalsium was because Leras and Ati would have known, so I think that Taravangian won't remember the exact details of this 'Plan'.

Not all memories but there are some that transfer.

17 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Maybe only the more recent memories? 

I think that he has the memories of "the power" but not of the human vessel - this is why sazed remembered what ruin and preservation powers did but not what happened before the powers were "created" so he didn`t know about the shattering.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:34 PM, Frustration said:

She's basically immortal at this point and she does have a particular intrest in PoV characters. Such as having Nahz make maps about where Shallan landed after the Winds Pleasure sank, or sketching Bridge four glyphs, interrogating Wax in person.

Alerter fabrials, fortune, any number of other invested methods.

Khriss is described as wearing her hair in braids, while Marasi's mysterious "thief" has straight hair.  I don't think it's Khriss... my #1 suspect is Shai as well.

"The Haunted Man" palling around with Nicki Savage is confirmed to be Nazh, however, so it's not impossible.