Lost Metal Chapter 5-8 Reactions

Little_Dagger

3 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Eh, I'm sure we'll be seeing full Mistborn again in Era 3, either by copies of the Bands of Mourning or by Harmony deciding to make more. Brandon did imply that Allomancy will be getting stronger in the future.

Maybe Harmony will make Wax a Mistborn like he did with Spook? Unlikely I know but I think the possibility remains.

I have a feeling that he meant that in a technology way - the Southern Scadrians are far more advanced in using the Metallic Arts than the Northerners, despite not even knowing about them or having any Metalborn until after the Catacendre (for practical purposes).

Not that an individual human Coinshot like Wax would gain power in their Pushes to the level of Kelsier or Elend or TLR, but that people (in general) would be able to access flare-level Pushing, and with less risk of carrying around vials of steel and needing to wait to swallow them, with the push of a button.

Or pre-programmed Allomantic effects that are more complex, like if Wax could "code in" a cube not just a general "Steelpush From This Point" centered around the cube that works against the holder's own belt, rings, etc., but his "steel bubble" effect. And then the cube is made small enough to be placed on a belt buckle, and given enough Investiture to power it on a low draw... Presto! You have a kind of wearable "bulletproof shield" that can be activated and de-activated.

Can we talk about that blur that Marasi saw? It's so interesting to me who this party is. Not with the police but presumably not with the Set either, unless there's little honor among thieves in this organization. This is the description:

That gave Marasi just enough time—an eyeblink really—to pick out a female figure in dark clothing, a black cloth mask over her face. Not like a Malwish mask; more like one a thief might use, prowling in the night. She was slender, with straight black hair. Her eyes seemed to meet Marasi’s, then she became a blur again.

Do we think they are a Southener because of the mask (not all southeners are Malwish) or something ese entirely?

4 minutes ago, JuanMoreShard said:

Can we talk about that blur that Marasi saw? It's so interesting to me who this party is. Not with the police but presumably not with the Set either, unless there's little honor among thieves in this organization. This is the description:

Do we think they are a Southener because of the mask (not all southeners are Malwish) or something ese entirely?

I think that if Marasi recognized the mask as something a thief might use than it is a totaly different design from the south-scadrian masks.

The woman can be anyone that wanted to stay unnoticed - my guess is that she is from the worldhopper organization that will recruite Marasi.

8 minutes ago, garlick said:

Is it me or did the guy with the spikes sound like he was giving a death rattle?

I don`t think it was a death rattle.

He started saying it right after his eyes started glowing red whitch suggest some other magic is involved. In addition he died after telling it only because Marasi pulled out his spike - without her doing it he was injured but probably not yet dying.

What if the Trellium spike was providing the fuel similar to Elend and Preservation at the end of HoA?

As in it provided a connection to "Trell" and the Shard provided the fuel to use the abilities of the other spikes.

No metal minds were found on the body as far as we're aware, could be inside the body I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Hoids Imaginary Friend said:

What if the Trellium spike was providing the fuel similar to Elend and Preservation at the end of HoA?

As in it provided a connection to "Trell" and the Shard provided the fuel to use the abilities of the other spikes.

No metal minds were found on the body as far as we're aware, could be inside the body I guess. 

That is a very intersting idea.

Indeed it will explain the lack of metalminds.

But then you need to explain was he was untrained in his powers - maybe gaining the powers in this way directly from Trell has some disadvantage so he only uses the abilities when he have no choice (my guess, based on his actions right before he died, is that it gives Trell some control over him).

There is the possibility that he was untrained because he got the powers only lately but I don`t think it is likely because the set know how to use hemulargy for years at this point.

Miles Hundredlives said something very similar as he died, without exhibiting red eyes:

"You are fools! One day, the men of gold and red, bearers of the final metal, will come to you. And you will be ruled by them! Worship... Worship Trell and wait..."

I think the red eyes bit was some aspect of his having a Trellium spike at all - which may or may not "prep" him for avatar-ness, but is not actually what he was talking about: he described becoming one as being his reward for killing Marasi, not something he was already blessed with in order to kill her (after all, she was the one who stumbled into their lair).

"Trell is choosing hosts,” he said. “Avatars, bestowed with his power. How would you like to be the accomplishment that proves I’m worthy of immortality, lawwoman? All you have to do is die."

Besides, becoming a "host", an avatar of Trell, and "bestowed with his power" comes with "immortality", which he obviously didn't have, as he died rather easily afterwards.

Was rereading BoM and caught this when the Terris steward kills Kelesina: 

The steward walked over to Kelesina, fishing at something on Kelesina’s body. Then, for some reason, the steward shot the dead woman again.

Trell spike let's you heal from death, still not confirmed but probable that you need a Bloodmaker spike too

14 hours ago, Frustration said:

I think that the woman who looked at Marasi was Khriss.

I don't think that this makes much sense.

Khriss is someone who prefers not to get too involved in dangerous stuff like the Set.

This woman seems involved, so it's probably not Khriss.

32 minutes ago, Yuliya said:

Would be cool, but I want to see Shai from the Emperor's soul again (the story did end with a promise that she would hunt Hoid), and the description (little of it as we have) fits

I think this might be a possibility, as I too would like to see Shai again. 

11 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I don't think that this makes much sense.

Khriss is someone who prefers not to get too involved in dangerous stuff like the Set.

This woman seems involved, so it's probably not Khriss.

I don't think she was involved, I think she just wanted to see a speed bubble.

10 hours ago, Frustration said:

I don't think she was involved, I think she just wanted to see a speed bubble.

I'd think that the incredibly smart and rational woman that is Khriss would know that there are other Pulsers and Sliders on Scadrial aside from the two who are currently fighting very dangerous criminals.

15 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I'd think that the incredibly smart and rational woman that is Khriss would know that there are other Pulsers and Sliders on Scadrial aside from the two who are currently fighting very dangerous criminals.

That, plus how would Khriss know this Allomancer Throwdown was going on in a secret forgotten cavern beneath Elendel, dating from the World of Ash?

The most likely person to be present in that room at that time who hadn't started there when the throwdown began, is someone who would otherwise have had a reason to stop by to check in on things. That, or someone senior who the Cycle managed to call in before going after Marasi himself. Either way, logically, it's most likely someone from the Set.

Which could well mean, narratively, that it's NOT someone from the Set and we're being set up in some way for a bombshell revelation down the line.

22 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

She's basically immortal at this point and she does have a particular intrest in PoV characters. Such as having Nahz make maps about where Shallan landed after the Winds Pleasure sank, or sketching Bridge four glyphs, interrogating Wax in person.

6 hours ago, robardin said:

That, plus how would Khriss know this Allomancer Throwdown was going on in a secret forgotten cavern beneath Elendel, dating from the World of Ash?

Alerter fabrials, fortune, any number of other invested methods.

Edited by Frustration

On 10/4/2022 at 8:42 PM, Nameless said:

Can I get a source for the painful part?

Forget the last one this is the WoB

17th Shard

Can you burn the spikes? Like, Allomantically? For example, could they burn the steel in their head spikes?

Brandon Sanderson

I considered that and I eventually decided that they could, but it would be an excruciating process that would probably knock them unconscious simply by doing it.

17th Shard

Would they be able to tap?

Brandon Sanderson

Would they tap them? They can use them as metalminds, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/294/#e10124