Lost Metal Chapter 5-8 Reactions

Little_Dagger

Hi all! The Lost Metal Chapters 5 through 8 are here: https://www.tor.com/2022/10/03/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-5-8/

Lots of things I am excited about!

- Hoid's first appearance in the book (he does seem to have a soft spot for drivers and beggars)

- Harmony's attempt to make contact with Wax (you know that things get serious when Sazed needs help)

- Trellium and red eyes! (did anyone else kind of expect an Everstorm arrive after the eyes started glowing? :P )

- Malwish war ship (I hope it is indeed just a statement, not a threat for now)

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Yuliya said:

I think Automony is still a prime suspect, although we know that the idea of Avatars is familiar to other Shards as well (eg. Odium mentions it to Moash once), so could be someone else, I suppose

The choosing people to become immortal does sound a little like Odium. Plus the Set seem to really "hate" Scadrial which reminds me of odium as well. To be fair, we don't know how Autonomy makes Avatars. Perhaps Avatars are people originally. 

However, the "get what you deserve" is strange. Who would have a grudge? Odium seems to target the shards who broke the semi-promise and decided to dual-shard a world. And then I guess the Ire could have a grudge for what happened in Secret history. Besides that, who would say "get what you deserve?". Did Laras or Ati do something to another shard in the past? Was Trell mistreated by those shards before and now he is taking his revenge? 

Edited by teknopathetic

9 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

The choosing people to become immortal does sound a little like Odium. Plus the Set seem to really "hate" Scadrial which reminds me of odium as well.

However, the "get what you deserve" is strange. Who would have a grudge? Odium seems to target the shards who broke the semi-promise and decided to dual-shard a world. And then I guess the Ire could have a grudge for what happened in Secret . Besides that, who would say "get what you deserve?". Did Laras or Ati do something to another shard in the past? Was Trell mistreated by those shards before and now he is taking his revenge? 

I like the idea of a grudge but I am thinking it could go the opposite direction. Perhaps, Trell was an ally of Ati or Leras and is now outraged that Sazed took their place (would make sense why he is attacking in era 2)?

1 hour ago, paperstones said:

Does this confirm Autonomy? The Cycle mentioned Avatars.

I wouldn't say confirm, but the case for Autonomy is pretty strong, particularly given that Trellium (Stormlight Archive spoiler):

Spoiler

looks nothing like raysium

Also, does Harmony want Wax to spike himself with Trellium (so he can talk to Trell, I guess)? I can't think of another option for the "proper metal"

Edited by KandraAllomancer

7 minutes ago, KandraAllomancer said:

I wouldn't say confirm, but the case for Autonomy is pretty strong, particularly given that Trellium (Stormlight Archive spoiler):

Reveal hidden contents

looks nothing like raysium

Also, does Harmony want Wax to spike himself with Trellium (so he can talk to Trell, I guess)? I can't think of another option for the "proper metal"

Do you think if Wax spikes himself both with Trellium and Harmony's earing, the two Shards will be able to talk to each other while "in his head"? Or will he just be a sort of an ambassador between the two?

23 minutes ago, Yuliya said:

Do you think if Wax spikes himself both with Trellium and Harmony's earing, the two Shards will be able to talk to each other while "in his head"? Or will he just be a sort of an ambassador between the two?

No idea, but the former would be awesome :)

1 hour ago, KandraAllomancer said:

Or... the message isn't actually from Harmony.

(Saze did imply in BoM that Paalm's Trellium spike would have had permanent effects even if she'd had it removed... wonder what would happen if a human got a Trellium piercing, hm?)

44 minutes ago, Yuliya said:

Holy smokes I think you hit it on the head with this one, gonna use his brain to have a meeting. Despite the seriousness I keep picturing Wax standing around with his eye twitching as gods say creepy stuff at each other, and it makes me chuckle. 

It was really cool to see Marasi holding her own in a pretty epic fight. No more standing in someone else's shadow for her. I also continue to adore her and Wayne's dynamic and am so glad they have coded plans, and that he respected her enough to let her rest and figure out her own way back. Damsel in distress Marasi is gone and I'm 100% here for that. 

Trellium = Compounding-lite? Or the third regular spike was Gold Misting & the Trellium just corrupting the normal powers to act slightly differently. I'm leaning towards the latter. 

14 minutes ago, Requiem17 said:

Trellium = Compounding-lite? Or the third regular spike was Gold Misting & the Trellium just corrupting the normal powers to act slightly differently. I'm leaning towards the latter. 

Well the Trellium spike seems to give you autonomy from Harmony's control, so to speak. It is unclear if the spike actually adds anything extra beyond blocking or changing the rules normally put into a magic system (such as the Kandra spike rule). 

Edited by teknopathetic

3 hours ago, paperstones said:

Does this confirm Autonomy? The Cycle mentioned Avatars.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Definitely Odium.

Glowing red eyes, return of destruction, giving people immortality, and Gold.

Also I love how Trellium is giving different powers with Hemalurgy.

One of the possibilities on my suspects list for a while now has been "Autonomy and Odium working together".

Though [Stormlight]

Spoiler

RoW makes it a bit less likely, since Todium has no particular reason to be working with Bavadin. But it hasn't been ruled out yet.

1 hour ago, teknopathetic said:

Well the Trellium spike seems to give you autonomy from Harmony's control, so to speak. It is unclear if the spike actually adds anything extra beyond blocking or changing the rules normally put into a magic system (such as the Kandra spike rule). 

Ah, autonomy from Harmony's control / him being able to speak with them since they're spiking with more than two spikes. 

I agree that the weirdness Marasi and Wayne note could be explained by the Cycle having more strength stored than she expected, and gold compounding but less savanty than we saw with Miles, but then why have both characters who remember book 1 note there's something weird about the healing. And Stormlight: 

Spoiler

The surges are changed to be similar but different when used via the corrupted investiture, noted by red glowing eyes.

2 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

One of the possibilities on my suspects list for a while now has been "Autonomy and Odium working together".

Though [Stormlight]

Hide contents

RoW makes it a bit less likely, since Todium has no particular reason to be working with Bavadin. But it hasn't been ruled out yet.

Spoiler

Technically, if Rayse as Odium made some sort of binding agreement to ally with Autonomy/Bavadin, Taravangian would be bound by that same agreement, right? Taravangian's opinion/desires may not matter. 

Random thoughts:

I wondered if we were meant to recognize what the "chasm" with a fallen ancient bridge spanning it might have been from the Fallen Empire. Like, maybe it's a section of one of the "dry canals" from Urteau ("streetslots")? It was, after all, the site of one of the "storage caverns" in which people rode out the Catacendre (including Spook, the Lord Mistborn himself).

The Cycle had four spikes, one Trellium (removing which alone was enough to kill him); what were the other three? For hemalurgic stealing of Metalborn powers - F-gold, F-pewter, and ...what else?

The Cycle must not have had a lot of health stored up (no Compounding, or pre-filled metalminds like a Set operative like Kelesina had, that Wayne inherited for a while in BoM) - it should have been able to heal from a gunshot wound to the head a lot faster than Marasi could find, and then to dig out the Trellium spike from his body. Though as Marasi noted, he didn't seem very practiced in the use of Feruchemy, so maybe he'd only acquired the spikes very recently.

My incredibly stupid theory:

Spoiler

Trell is an Odium-corrupted avatar of Autonomy.  I believe there's a WoB that states that Odium and Autonomy worked together to defeat Ambition, and Odium was planning on double-crossing Autonomy after offing Honor.  Trell is either A. byproduct of Autonomy and Odium attacking Ambition together, B. their way of defeating Ambition (think Captain Planet like), or C. Odium's planning on keeping a connection to find Autonomy's other avatars.

Edit: to add to A: Maybe there's a bit of Ambition in there as well and is looking to collect Ruin's power that MIGHT be returning (Let's call it pulling a Hoid).  Basically, when Kelsier destroyed the Pits of Hathsin, he said that he said that he stopped production of Atium for 300ish years.  With Era 2 is 300ish years after that, so maybe Ruins extra power is returning.

Edited by Nick_Nack_Patty_Whack

I also wonder about the earring Wax received in Ch. 5, since he already got one years ago in Bands of Mourning via Marasi, in a pouch with the note Just in case, Waxillium.

Last we see him with it, Wax was rolling it in his fingers as he reflected on his... beef with God at the end of Part Two of BoM. That was the third time he was offered one, too - once via Wayne, then offered from VanDell, and then this one passed on from Marasi.

I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have gotten more in the meantime, so does that mean he's still been refusing to wear one even since meeting/talking with Harmony in the CR after dying?

This one is different, though, as the note reads: You’ll need to make a second, once the proper metal arrives.

Huh. A Pathian earring that comes in pairs, but needs a "proper metal" not at hand? And one that Wax will be making himself, either out of that metal or making use of that metal?

All sorts of things come to mind, what with the title of the book being the Lost Metal. Assuming Harmony isn't planning on just making Wax a Mistborn - which He could have done at any time, like he did with Spook, without passing metal to him - is this really from Harmony, or is he going to be slipped a Trellium earring-spike? (That seems unlikely, as he's seen Trellium before and would recognize it.)

37 minutes ago, robardin said:

The Cycle had four spikes, one Trellium (removing which alone was enough to kill him); what were the other three? For hemalurgic stealing of Metalborn powers - F-gold, F-pewter, and ...what else?

Four spikes is a lot, but this guy seemed relatively normal and not warped like a lot of people full of spikes, and having that many makes you very easy to control via emotional allomancy and what not. So I'm guessing three were bestowing powers of some kind (though we still don't know what the third of those powers those might be) and the trellium was likely there providing a shield against the warping and the emotional control. Something like the linchpin spike steel inquisitors have. Who's to say about the fourth.

(Also there was no mention of finding metalminds on the Cycle, interestingly. You do use gold spikes to steal gold feruchemy and pewter spikes to steal pewter feruchemy, so it's possible at least for those two he was using his spikes as metalminds themselves, and the other spikes may not have been granting feruchemy. It may have been allomancy or just a general attribute. An alternative is that these spikes weren't actually granting feruchemy- but instead granting "Health" directly. The strength was pretty clearly ferchemic though, with the way he visibly grew.)

11 hours ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Or... isn't from Harmony.

(Saze did imply in BoM that Paalm's Trellium spike would have had permanent effects even if she'd had it removed... wonder what would happen if a human got a Trellium piercing, hm?)

I agree that the message could be coming from someone else and Wax just assumes that it is from Harmony (Wax already has a Pathian earring, to our knowledge). As was noted above, the earring could not be made from Trellium either, since the metal is very recognizable.

Could it be Raysium, in correspondence with the Odium+Autonomy theory?

That could be fun, since Raysium is known to conduct investiture (also looks more like other silvery metals) and it could be then possible to share allomantic/ferochemical powers without stealing them through hemalurgy (eg. Wax wears the earring, which sucks out his allomantic powers, and then whoever wears it after gains the ability to steelpush instead). Could be interesting to watch the cast to swap their abilities (though I am not sure what that would do to their spirit web). 

1 hour ago, Yuliya said:

That could be fun, since Raysium is known to conduct investiture (also looks more like other silvery metals) and it could be then possible to share allomantic/ferochemical powers without stealing them through hemalurgy (eg. Wax wears the earring, which sucks out his allomantic powers, and then whoever wears it after gains the ability to steelpush instead). Could be interesting to watch the cast to swap their abilities (though I am not sure what that would do to their spirit web). 

I don't think that's how that metal works, I'm pretty sure it only absorbs 'loose' Investiture like Stormlight while it would be impossible for it to steal Surgebinding itself.

What I mean is, I think that it can only steal the fuel, not the engine itself.

29 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I don't think that's how that metal works, I'm pretty sure it only absorbs 'loose' Investiture like Stormlight while it would be impossible for it to steal Surgebinding itself.

What I mean is, I think that it can only steal the fuel, not the engine itself.

You are probably right and I just got carried away imagining the possibilities it would imply. It was a fun thought experiment though :) and we could have full Mustborn that way again...

1 minute ago, Yuliya said:

You are probably right and I just got carried away imagining the possibilities it would imply. It was a fun thought experiment though :) and we could have full Mustborn that way again...

Eh, I'm sure we'll be seeing full Mistborn again in Era 3, either by copies of the Bands of Mourning or by Harmony deciding to make more. Brandon did imply that Allomancy will be getting stronger in the future.

Maybe Harmony will make Wax a Mistborn like he did with Spook? Unlikely I know but I think the possibility remains.