Create your own shard world

bmcclure7

Template 

1.Name of system 

2. Name of shard (choose one from cannon or create your own)

3.(Description of world)

4. Description of race(s)

5. Discrimination of civilizations (culture, religion, philosphy magic level, tec level, and so on)

Discrimination of magic: acsess, ability, rules and costs.

(Optional) description of notable characters in your world. 

Hey I already got one of deez on Creator Corner. Well I won't pass up a chance to talk about it.

Spoiler

System Name: Vathenian

Planet Name: Vathen

Shard/s: 2 Powerful Splinters of Discord and of Odium

Timeline of plot: Between Mistborn HoA and Stormlight WoK

Planet Description: A world covered in supermassive trees (Like over 100 meters tall) and populated by humans and oversized bugs. The trees cause two different ecosystems to exist, with the ground level being covered in perpetual darkness and being a very dangerous place, it's called the Abyss. he second ecosystem is near the top of trees with it being composed of many branches connecting the various trees together, with it being fairly easy to live in, it's called Paradise by the locals.

A world that for Melinnia has gone untouched by the Shards of Adonalsium, though a conflict in the recent past between Odium and Discord caused 2 powerful Splinters of both to take residence on this world, with the Splinter of Odium starting to Corrupt the local Magic System, and the beings that rely upon it.

Races Description: Mostly just humans with some distinctions. Abyssals are humans who have lived in an environment with very little to no access to sunlight, so they have very pale skin and can't really stand bright lights though they do have better night vision. Paradisian Humans are more tan due to lots of regular access to sunlight.

Some humans who have used Korlans for a majority of their lives have become Savants, the traits in the Savantism being physical in nature and can uniquely be passed down to children, creating 'savant sub-races' of humans.

The giant bugs aren't like the ones on Earth, most are hybrids of my own imagination, with a notable predator of the Abyss being a massive hybrid between a spider and a centipede. Most bugs in Paradise can fly and a few are big enough for a human to ride without magical aid. Many bugs in the Abyss are vicious predators.

Societal(? I think that's what you mean right?) Description: The Abyssals are more advanced in technology than the Paradisians, with the Abyssals understanding proper metalworking, and nearing an industrial revolution. The Paradisians have needed very few innovations and are far more 'simpler' than their Abyssal counterparts.

Relations between the Abyssas and Paradisians have never been great, with the only thing connecting them was some trade on the local magic systems.

Magic System: The Invested Art of Vathen is based around plants. The name is Korlan.

The idea is that certain plants are 'allocated' certain amounts of Investiture, with the Korlans each having a species limit, the lower that limit the rarer the Krolan, but the more concentrated the Invetiture, resulting in more powerful abilities.

Korlans are to be eaten to use their abilities, with the ability being automatic and always on until the Korlan is digested.

When a Korlan is eaten, it will eventually regrow elsewhere on Vathen.

When a Korlan is harvested, it begins to rot away until it is unusable. There are ways of extending the lifespan of a harvested Korlan such as by replanting it, though no known methods can prolong it's life endlessly once harvested.

Some Korlans only grow in Paradise while others only grow in the Abyss.

There are 7 Korlans known. The categories are 'Dark Korlans' with them only growing in the Abyss, and 'Light Korlans' with them only growing in Paradise.

There are 3 Dark Korlans and 3 Light Korlans, with a 7th one being the rarest, capable of growing anywhere and being the most powerful of all Korlans. Some people don't even think it exists.

The powers of regular Korlans are always physical and internal.

Dark Korlans

Glow-Roots when eaten cause a person to glow brightly, emitting sunlight from their bodies. Species limit of 70,000

Light Korlans

Feather-Leaves when eaten cause a person to become as light as a feather, enabling them to jump higher and fall slower. Species limit of 70,000

This is only some of what I have so far but this is the run down, still working on worldbuilding so I haven't worked on any actual characters yet.

Edited by JustQuestin2004

Spoiler

Name of System: Kelivaran

Name of Shard: Whimsy

World Description: The world of Kelivar, home to the Shard of Whimsy, is an interesting place. It's unknown whether the uniquely sheer biome transitions predate the arrival of its Shard or are a result of it being there. Regardless, the landscape plunges and rises capriciously, stretching further down than should be possible on any world hoping to keep its molten core and rising higher than should be habitable.
You can find, side-by-side, tundra that's been locked in ice for centuries and an ocean that boils from the seafloor volcanic activity. You can find, side-by-side, a mountain from which you could walk into the vacuum and a ravine that meets the very core of the planet. You can find, side-by-side, a place where gravity does not seem to apply, where the inhabitants live on floating, carved cities of stone and a place where life has been driven underground due to pure surface hostility.

Race Description: It would be easier to list the races that do not exist somewhere on or in Kelivar than it is to list the ones that do, even without counting the anomalies that roam the less-inhabited portions of the world.

Civilization Description: Kelivar's sapient races carve out their existences wherever possible. Some have chosen to live underground even where that isn't strictly necessary. Others attempt to group together as much as possible, leading to some approximation of the cities that exist on other worlds. Still more choose a lonely life outside the range of those who would attempt to group together and eke out what they can from the natural world.
Tech levels vary significantly from region to region thanks to the extremely difficult nature of passing between them with any cargo in tow. In some of the more isolationist areas, the height of technology is the occasional competent blacksmith or wainwright, while some of those better suited toward either their path of development or their resource trading scheme may have technology on par with or above several of the other more advanced world. For example, the most developed of the floating cities, Adrenne, has communal elevators that are not only reliably functional but centrally positioned and swift.
In a similar vein, religion is a complex beast on this world. Many of the regions venerate whatever natural feature affects their life the most, something extremely noticable in the floating cities, where worship of the very rock they live upon is a very communal event, and the area surrounding the Coronal Volcano, where each person traditionally carries their own personal pendant vial of ash to connect them to their place of origin. Some other regions prefer to worship various forms of weather, or moon phase, or even constellation.

Magic Description: The magic system, known as Animus, is significantly less predictable than many other applications of Investiture. On Scadrial, the Metallic Arts are largely predictable. One metal does one thing in each of the Arts. On Sel, the nigh-mathematical precision of runic modifications and inscription detailing lend themselves to easy deciphering of the intended function, provided one has enough of an understanding of the local system.
Animus is not as easy to understand. As best as anyone can figure out, each person has a limited amount of innate Investiture, akin to the Breaths of Nalthis in that once lost, it does not atomatically regenerate. Unlike Awakening, however, the secondary fuel for an active use of the magic system is not color, and it is not leeched from the surroundings of the user. Instead, the secondary component to this lottery system of a magic system is the user's ability to picture things in their mind's eye. This is the primary limiting factor as well, since the Animus itself seems to be divided mostly into units that can expand or contract to fit whatever is being done.
But what is actually being done that requires a constant occupation of the user's mental faculties? Creation. Animus is the fuel both for the fascimile of consciousness and for the Physical creation of the subject in question.
The people of Kelivar have a unique state they can reach by mentally stretching out for their inward stash of Animus, a state almost like voluntary sleepwalking. In this state, they are only mildly aware of events happening outside their own mind, the field of which they refer to as a dreamscape, but as there appears to be some temporal desynchronization inherent to the manifestation process, it does not tend to hinder them all that much.
The manifestations, fueled by Animus and the Animator's own perception, can take the form of very nearly anything, so long as the user has dreamed about it within their memory. This is where the tricky part comes in. Another Animator, set in direct conflict against the first, can corrupt the manifestation at the expense of a small shard of their own Animus and mental focus. The corruption can take many forms, dictated by the accuracy of the corruptor's mental image of the manifestation and the vividness to which they can connect the corruption to that base manifestation. Duels are uncommon in and of themselves, but even moreso those where one side chooses to corrupt the other's manifestation instead of simply manifesting something themselves, due mostly to the fact that even a failed attempt at corruption expends Animus that will not return in a decent timeframe. The only upsides are that it will return on its own eventually, unlike Animus taken up by manifestation, and that less mental focus is required to corrupt something than to manifest something.
The space of an Animator's mind's eye is not a one-and-done use any more than their innate store of Animus is. Animus turned to corruption will regenerate slowly over time, while Animus and mental focus used for manifestation will remain locked as long as the manifestation remains in existence. Fortunately for many Animators, once a manifestation has been created, it is subject to natural laws, including death. Some object to killing to what they have created, no matter how insignificant it is, and prefer to set their manifestations free. This has largely resulted in a plague of anomalies that are attempting as much as the average Kelevarite to live their life in the best way they see fit.

(Spoilered because it feels too long to post outright without claiming too much space)

Just now, Invocation said:

I didn't mean to hold anyone to my standards or anything, that was just me talking about my random twitchy moments of "But what if this is too long?"

I just saw what you said, looked at the huge thing I posted and went 'y'know, that guy might have the right idea'.

So anyway, your world is pretty interesting, I think it really does personify just how crazy and dangerous that a god that is literally all about acting on whims might be to a planet.

What does a world purely of Preservation look like, a world in which Leras never joined with Ati to create something? This is Apparos, the Haunted Planet.

Spoiler

The planet is characterized by it's pristine landscapes and vibrant ecology. Forests that stretch for miles and miles, seemingly untouched by the marks of mortals. Oceans with great flourishing reefs and kelp forests, and trenches that bore into the depths. Savannahs, deserts, tundras, mountains. Beautiful landscapes that never seem to suffer or wither. Dotted around the world are the Sixteen Towers, giant white monoliths that reach into the sky, unblemished and unchanging, existing since long before anyone can remember. Each tower, every sixteen years (each tower on a separate year, in a predictable cycle) will emit a swirling cloud of white mist far across the landscape covering this tower's fraction of the world for that year. In this mist, one can see the Faceless Ones, spirits of the dead that have persisted since the moment of their death, whether that was yesterday or eons ago. Some claim to have even traveled to the land of the dead through the towers. This mist is the source of the planet's pristinity. It causes the environment it touches to rebound, to match the Ideal of what that place should be. It causes plants to grow where the forest should be. It causes rainstorms where lakes have dried up, and evaporates where water should not be. It weathers into dust where should be desert. This is why the planet tends to resemble the same state as it was eons ago, when Preservation first arrived.

This of course poses a problem, as it is difficult to create anything new when the land reverts every 16 years. For this reason, many civilizations, animals, even planets have developed a nomadic lifestyle to stay away from the mists and the dangers they bring. The Borderlands Kingdom does not take this approach, and instead stretches itself out over the thin areas at the edges of each tower's territory, the spaces between mist zones where that mist is weakest, and uses a number of magical means and customs to repel the rest of it that would reach the area. The Arconia, a strange group of peoples with lanky strangely covered bodies, 4 arms, and 4 wings avoid the mists in another way, with floating fortresses in the sky above the reach of the mists. The Abyssal Kingdoms take the opposite approach, living in the depths of ocean trenches below the mists- little is known of these people by outsiders. Others still live solely within the area a mist covers, and accept the change it will bring as a part of life, and welcome the renewal of their resources.

The magic, too, is a relic of ancient times that persists to the modern day. Once, long ago, a great number of people developed powers. These powers vary greatly, and some thing that no two people had the same power. In the long time since those ancient people, relatively far far fewer individuals have manifested powers of their own and it is unknown why certain people do (though over the span of millennia, that total number has still added up somewhat substantively). Magic is not lost to the people of this world though; quite the contrary, the magic of these individuals stays with the living through the influence of their spirits. If a person twelve centuries ago had the ability to heal, their ghost would still persist and could bond with someone to grant them the ability to heal. These ghosts tend to be highly specific in who they choose, sometimes as an active choice sometimes involuntarily. Some might bond great artists. Others might bond the wielder of a particular weapon. The first Queen of the Borderlands will bond only with her descendants, whoever she chooses being declared the ruler. This does make succession rather easy. She grants the power to control the body of any individual who bears her mark, within sight of her champion. All people who live within the kingdom are Marked once they become adults, and must continue to have their mark renewed when it begins to fade. Those who choose not to take the mark or are found without it are removed from the kingdom. (This is mostly a symbolic ritual, as the vast vast majority of people will never even come into contact with the queen, let alone be controlled by her.) It is not just humans (or other mortal races, like the Arconia or Abyssa) that are preserved as these Bondspirits though. Very very rarely, an animal may as well. This tends to not be a widespread phenomena of the world, found only in certain areas. Those who bond with an animal spirit take on attributes of that animal, changing their body mind and even soul to a quite small but still noticeable degree. Often though, these people gain the ability to transform entirely into that animal for a period of time.

42 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

So anyway, your world is pretty interesting, I think it really does personify just how crazy and dangerous that a god that is literally all about acting on whims might be to a planet.

Thank you. Yours is pretty interesting too, though I can't help but to picture the Korlans as carrots with various patterns of bioluminescence.

7 hours ago, Invocation said:

Thank you. Yours is pretty interesting too, though I can't help but to picture the Korlans as carrots with various patterns of bioluminescence.

You can if you want, I don't have the best picture on what Korlans are actually going to do or look like.

Just that it's more physical and internal-ish than other Magic Systems.

Glowing and Near-Weightlessness is the beginning. Still have 5 others to come up with, along with 7 Corrupted versions. And I am out of ideas for more. Go figure.

15 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Glowing and Near-Weightlessness is the beginning. Still have 5 others to come up with, along with 7 Corrupted versions. And I am out of ideas for more. Go figure.

One should be strength, another could be a stealth ability, like better grip for climbing or something. Maybe another one for better balance, if that's not too close to Allomantic tin. Night vision one could be neat, or expanded vision range into infrared/ultraviolet. These are all probably terrible ideas, honestly, the only idea I'm confident would be a cool thing would be the Corrupted ones being emotional instead of physical.

One should be strength, another could be a stealth ability, like better grip for climbing or something. Maybe another one for better balance, if that's not too close to Allomantic tin. Night vision one could be neat, or expanded vision range into infrared/ultraviolet. These are all probably terrible ideas, honestly, the only idea I'm confident would be a cool thing would be the Corrupted ones being emotional instead of physical.

Thanks, I did come up with a joke one earlier that I probably won't be using: Growth-Shroom, it makes whoever eats it triple in size and strength. Mario-Stye.

And yeah I did feel that the Corrupted ones would be more Mental in nature, and probably be addictive?

Like the Thrill, almost. Fun times.

Pretty much. And anyone affected by it gains a red tinge to their eyes.

And it also affects the creatures as well as humans. So giant bug monsters start going on blood rampages.

I'm thinking that I might take some inspiration from the Infection from Hollow Knight.