Will Odium Create more Fused?

JustQuestin2004

Question

SPOILERS FOR RYTHM OF WAR!!!

So considering the fact that our heroes now have the capability to permanently kill the Fused, and the Shard of Odium is under new management, will Roshar's newest god create more Fused to make up for losses? Or is there perhaps a reason that Rayse didn't any new ones at any point after the first Fused.

14 answers to this question

Rayse seems to have been perpetually resistant to significant Investment in Roshar, I think because the more he Invested the more he was Bound, so he wanted to Invest as little as necessary to Free himself of Honor's Bonds.  Odium now wants to use Roshar as a beachhead and staging ground to spread his influence over the Cosmere, so I suspect he will either make more Fused or perhaps begin more fully pushing for Enlightened Radiants (of both species). 

Just now, Quantus said:

Rayse seems to have been perpetually resistant to significant Investment in Roshar, I think because the more he Invested the more he was Bound, so he wanted to Invest as little as necessary to Free himself of Honor's Bonds.  Odium now wants to use Roshar as a beachhead and staging ground to spread his influence over the Cosmere, so I suspect he will either make more Fused or perhaps begin more fully pushing for Enlightened Radiants (of both species). 

This makes me wonder, if Odium is going to Invest into Roshar more, how will he be able to Splinter the other Shards? 

Will he use subtlety and proxies like Trell with the Set? Will he go after the Dawnshards? Will he attempt to form a Coalition of potentially likeminded Shards? 

Just now, JustQuestin2004 said:

This makes me wonder, if Odium is going to Invest into Roshar more, how will he be able to Splinter the other Shards? 

That was Rayse's Goal, not necessarily Odium's...

Also, there's strong evidence he did and would need at least one other Shard accomplice.  

Just now, JustQuestin2004 said:

Will he use subtlety and proxies like Trell with the Set? Will he go after the Dawnshards? Will he attempt to form a Coalition of potentially likeminded Shards? 

Yes to all, and more, Im sure.   Also, it could be like-minded organizations and individuals, not necessarily just the other 15. But at minimum I expect him to be sucking up to the other shards a bit to start, to keep them in the dark like he thinks Cultivation is.  

Just now, Quantus said:

That was Rayse's Goal, not necessarily Odium's...

Well if the new Odium is going to 'Save' all the people in the Cosmere, he'll need to do something about those other meddling gods.

2 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Also, it could be like-minded organizations and individuals, not necessarily just the other 15.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to take the Ghostbloods from Thaidikar. They would either be the easiest off-world group to recruit or one of the hardest.

3 minutes ago, Quantus said:

But at minimum I expect him to be sucking up to the other shards a bit to start, to keep them in the dark like he thinks Cultivation is. 

I can imagine most of the other Shards even believing the act, what with their godly bystander syndrome and all, they'd probably further justify not getting by saying something like 'Odium isn't Rayse now, so there's totally no reason to worry, now stop bothering me as I'm very busy burying my head in the sand'.

On 9/27/2022 at 6:16 AM, JustQuestin2004 said:

SPOILERS FOR RYTHM OF WAR!!!

So considering the fact that our heroes now have the capability to permanently kill the Fused, and the Shard of Odium is under new management, will Roshar's newest god create more Fused to make up for losses? Or is there perhaps a reason that Rayse didn't any new ones at any point after the first Fused.

Just so you know there is a button that you can use to hide spoilers. I think that he will almost certainly create new Fused, but I don't think it will be willy-nilly. We say that Odium (or at least Rayse) wants to make Dalinar a Fused if he loses the contest of champions, so I believe that he will make Fused out of what he considers "worthy enemies".

14 hours ago, ImportantQuestions said:

Just so you know there is a button that you can use to hide spoilers. I think that he will almost certainly create new Fused, but I don't think it will be willy-nilly. We say that Odium (or at least Rayse) wants to make Dalinar a Fused if he loses the contest of champions, so I believe that he will make Fused out of what he considers "worthy enemies".

Taravangian can't do anything about it. They made a contract, Taravangian MUST follow the contract. And Taravangian becomes at Dalinar's power.

@Adamkarma

Okay, I think I see what you mean. Part of it might be Dalinar's connection to the Stormfather (him becoming a Fused might transform the Stormfather into the equivalent of a dead-eye), part might be that Dalinar is able to make the deal where he is at stake but he can't do it for anyone else, and part might be that the Heralds souls couldn't be bound involuntarily as Fused because of the connection to Honor. Plus Kal is a very honorable person so Odium might not even want him. I would think he wants Kal, but he might not. Also, if you've read the Rhythm of War, somewhere in it

Spoiler

Taravangian says that he could see more options that Rayse hadn't seen for the contest of champions.

Edited by ImportantQuestions

42 minutes ago, ImportantQuestions said:

Maybe "important enemies" would be a better term but that has the same problems. Bottom line, I think he will try to make more Fused out of (at least some of) his foes

But since Rayse agreed to the contest of champions, Taravangian MUST continue with it. Or he would be in Odium's power, which would make him weak enough that Cultivation can kill him. Anyway, I don't believe Koravellium Avast (Cultivation's Vessel) wants to kill Odium now.