Lost Metal Chapter 3 and 4 Reactions

Little_Dagger

On 9/28/2022 at 2:25 PM, Harrycrapper said:

I do recall that WoB, though it's odd that's coinciding with him supposedly rationing his Bendalloy instead of just wasting it all the time. Maybe he's lying to Marasi about that or is procuring large amount of Bendalloy elsewhere... 

It is also coming after Wayne is supposedly getting a generous stipend specifically for his Bendalloy, and that he's spent a lot of time playing with and using everything he could acquire. He might be slowing down now, but it sounds like he already hit a tipping point before he started rationing. 

Curious that Marasi seems to know more about the Set than we left them knowing at the end of BoM - like the number and names of their ranks, that a "Cycle" reports to a "Suit" and so on. I guess they have interrogated Set members to get this type of info?

Interesting that they still have such a large hierarchy, as we had from Trell's own representative that the new "timeline" was building up to eradicating life on this sphere (Scadrial) instead of having the Set ruling over it for Trell, such that it "will no longer require the Set to have its full hierarchy".

Marasi's thinking to herself that the guy in a suit was "a" Cycle who reported "to the Suit above him" in the manner of Miles Hundredlives having reported to Edwarn - who had always being addressed simply as "Suit" - was one among several Suits. If that's reducing the "full hierarchy", how big had this operation been?

And Irich had been "Array", implied by action to be below Suit, yet deeper in the workings of the Set than Miles had been. And Edwarn reflects on the "Series" being in charge above all of them, as he rehearses how he would propose "accelerating the timeline" in the wake of Wax and Co. getting hold of the Bands. (The red-eyed "Faceless Immortal" who comes to him apparently being one of the Series, or a representative thereof - definitely plural, as he had thought about how "even the most careful of the Series would be distressed...").

So, Series > Sequence > Suit > Array was the known chain of hierarchy before; now it ends in "Cycle" and there are multiple chains?

EDIT: I did a quick re-read of the end of BoM, and while Edwarn thinks of himself as just "Suit", when he's about to try to escape in an airship with the Set after Marasi literally blew him and Telsin away with the Bands before flying off to find/rescue Wax, a technician "bearing the red uniform of the Set's Hidden Guard" (another rank?) asks him, "My lord Suit? Aren't we waiting for the Sequence?" as he gives the order to take off immediately.

So Telsin was "the" Sequence... Perhaps of the local chapter? But they didn't know about the Southern Hemisphere, and Edwarn is busy working with tensions between the Basin and the Outer Rim settlements in the Northern Hemisphere, so wouldn't that imply "the" hierarchy of at least all of Scadrial?

Edited by robardin

33 minutes ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Wait, where does it say that? Am I missing part of the image?

It was on the right part of the image but it seems that they changed the image to show only the left half of the broadsheet.

Probably this means that the original release of the full image was a mistake as the right half will appear only later in the book.

2 hours ago, offer said:

It was on the right part of the image but it seems that they changed the image to show only the left half of the broadsheet.

Probably this means that the original release of the full image was a mistake as the right half will appear only later in the book.

curses!

wasn't able to check the page until Tuesday night because of the Jewish holidays, I was wondering what was going on

34 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I've seen it suggested that a group of cryptics are leading the Set and that's why the names are all pattern related.

Spoiler

With names like that I can only then assume Shallan or Pattern is their supreme leader. :) This sort of naming sounds like a Shallan choice. She'd be amused at putting Suit from card games in the middle of it just to mess with everyone 

This theory causes me more pain :P

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Friendshipspren said:

Omg aluminium and duralumin gnats might not be useless anymore. With the allomantic grenades they can maybe wipe out external metal reserves. 

Hmmm maybe it won't work like that tho. Wonder if allik would respect gnats too

In BoM we see the Allomantic grenade with an assumed aluminum charge wipe Wax, and later wipe Marasi and Wayne of Allomantic metal reserves. Definitely not useless anymore 

2 hours ago, Friendshipspren said:

I always assumed that was a chromium charge 

That makes more sense lol. 

Then to answer the previous question, the box is the person essentially. So until the tech gets to a version that can hold multiple Allomantic charges it's still a gnat power.