Therapy for Kids who are Afraid of People Club

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

Am happy to therapise here!

Thank you!

Whenever someone I don‘t know shows up I get super introverty and stuff. (Aka, public school was a disaster) I‘mostly stay in my room. With the door closed. And if I‘m in a public area, I slouch and get as small and as unnoticeable as possible. Or I start drawing or reading.

So. What‘s your advice?

@That1Cellist @The Halcyon Girl

I'll become a therapist here!

39 minutes ago, Rabbit Unmade said:

Whenever someone I don‘t know shows up I get super introverty and stuff. (Aka, public school was a disaster) I‘mostly stay in my room. With the door closed. And if I‘m in a public area, I slouch and get as small and as unnoticeable as possible. Or I start drawing or reading.

So. What‘s your advice?

Hmmm. Well, be a little brave, try and make at least 1-2 friends. People you know will be there for you and you can trust them, and they'll understand if you want to leave and take a break or something. Go slowly, but know that introversion is ok, but friends can still help with that. If you already have friends, but they don't usually go to things you go to, ask them if they trust/know anyone who might be willing to help you out and be your friend. Hope I helped.

• 5 weeks later...

I belong here.

I’m in what I think is the equivalent of the first year of high school in America (idk how the American school system works lol so sorry if I get it wrong) and it’s a freaking nightmare. Why are people so savage, can’t they understand that some people like their personal space and don’t want to talk literally every second of every day???

Happy to give advice for other people as well :D

On 10/4/2022 at 6:54 AM, Rabbit Unmade said:

Thank you!

So. What‘s your advice?

@That1Cellist @The Halcyon Girl

I am rather quiet unless I have an ‘anchor’—somebody I know and who knows the full depths of my insanity (worse every year and spiraling). Advice? Find an anchor! Or a fellow ship! When somebody else is talking about something you like, it’s way easier to jump in on the conversation. And then more you converse, the more confidence you get!

Does this count as advice? No idea. Good luck!

10 hours ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

I am rather quiet unless I have an ‘anchor’—somebody I know and who knows the full depths of my insanity (worse every year and spiraling). Advice? Find an anchor! Or a fellow ship! When somebody else is talking about something you like, it’s way easier to jump in on the conversation. And then more you converse, the more confidence you get!

Does this count as advice? No idea. Good luck!

Yes. I feel exactly the same way, though it‘s terrifying for me to jump into a conversation with people I don‘t know. I feel like I‘m intruding or that I‘m not wanted. Basically, I panic. Usually my anchor is a friend, but that has it‘s own problems. For instance, if I have no friends whatsoever in a social situation, my anxiety spikes. (Girls Camp was a mess.) 

Thank you for the advice!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, Ookla the Cremling said:

I’m always very quiet at school and I kind of panic a little bit when someone I don’t know talks to me (I can barely order at restaurants). I need advice please. 

At restaurants, I made ordering the meal into a game - Can I place the order in such a way that the server has no questions to ask me?

Typically, when ordering there is a bunch of back and forth (Soup or salad? What Dressing? Which sides? etc.) so by focusing on all of the possible questions they might ask, and by answering them up front I'm able to concentrate on the menu and the order rather than the fact that I have to talk to somebody. Example:

• Can I please have the Lasagna with roasted broccoli side, side salad, Italian dressing and unsweet tea - no ice - to drink

I "win" every time the server walks away without asking me any follow-up questions. . .

2 hours ago, Treamayne said:

At restaurants, I made ordering the meal into a game - Can I place the order in such a way that the server has no questions to ask me?

Typically, when ordering there is a bunch of back and forth (Soup or salad? What Dressing? Which sides? etc.) so by focusing on all of the possible questions they might ask, and by answering them up front I'm able to concentrate on the menu and the order rather than the fact that I have to talk to somebody. Example:

• Can I please have the Lasagna with roasted broccoli side, side salad, Italian dressing and unsweet tea - no ice - to drink

I "win" every time the server walks away without asking me any follow-up questions. . .

Thanks, I’ll try this next time. :)