Back of Book Blurb

i’m in the details

So we have a wob that a new magic system will debut in tLM, and the back of the book released by tor says off worlders recruit Marasi. Who do you think they are? Are they the new magic system or will it be from the Set?

my bet is: marasi is contacted by agents of my boy Kelsier. And that one or more of them will be ghostbloods from other worlds. As for what magic will be new? I suspect this book will have our first canon showing of the Aethers. I think it makes sense given the secret projects and how much he has been talking about them recently. 

Edited by i’m in the details

8 hours ago, Invocation said:

I'm kind of hoping it's a new Selish variant.

Those are hardest to export and we know that the Ghostbloods have Aethers. The Ghostbloods not showing up once an existential threat to their home base arises would also need a special explanation. I mean you could also have Shallan's exploration group of interstellar Lightweavers wielding weapons from Valor' s arsenal show up, but why complicate things?

19 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Those are hardest to export and we know that the Ghostbloods have Aethers. The Ghostbloods not showing up once an existential threat to their home base arises would also need a special explanation. I mean you could also have Shallan's exploration group of interstellar Lightweavers wielding weapons from Valor' s arsenal show up, but why complicate things?

I know they're the hardest to export, but Sel has been neglected for too long. I want to know more. Note that at no point did I say that this was so much as a reasonable hope of mine, which is why I'm not actually defending it as much as saying it's a hope of mine.

14 hours ago, Invocation said:

I know they're the hardest to export, but Sel has been neglected for too long. I want to know more. Note that at no point did I say that this was so much as a reasonable hope of mine, which is why I'm not actually defending it as much as saying it's a hope of mine.

Sel is also "walkable" from Scadrial, so it makes sense those two cultures might but heads first. As well, maybe the Sel are making another attempt to steal Ruin and/or Preservation. For someone who has only read Scadrial stuff, it would seem Sel has been the most foreshadowed and most likely to come back in some way. 

My biggest hope is that Marasi meets Shai from the Emeror's Soul and that Shai has figured out a way to make her magic system function somewhat. 

Edited by teknopathetic

We have a WOB that says that the worldhopper in Lost Metal is from an Indian inspired planet. As much as I would like to see more Selish magic I don't think that Sel is an Indian inspired planet. This probably means a new planet since I can't think of any current planets that are inspired off of India, though feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

2 hours ago, Mr. Misting said:

We have a WOB that says that the worldhopper in Lost Metal is from an Indian inspired planet. As much as I would like to see more Selish magic I don't think that Sel is an Indian inspired planet. This probably means a new planet since I can't think of any current planets that are inspired off of India, though feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I hadn't seen that one until now, but I'm not convinced it rules Sel out entirely. It could be talking about the entire world, but it could also be talking about just a single culture among many. There was a WOB a while back about something to do with timeline shuffling based specifically around major cross-events between Sel and Scadrial, and while I'm pretty sure that's more of an Era 3 thing, it would make sense for some of that to get started now. And we do know there's a mystery third empire hanging around on Sel somewhere...
Honestly though, whoever it is, it's probably just the Set's offworld backing in some capacity or another.

Spoiler

Questioner

You've written about a lot of cultures that have some parallels to the real world. Do you have any culture or magic system you've kicked around that's inspired by the Indian subcontinent?

Brandon Sanderson

I do, actually. Thank you for this question. You should be very interested to read The Lost Metal. There's a worldhopper on The Lost Metal from a planet with a culture inspired by the Indian subcontinent.

Dragonsteel Mini-Con 2021 (Nov. 23, 2021)
On 9/23/2022 at 0:29 PM, teknopathetic said:

Sel is also "walkable" from Scadrial, so it makes sense those two cultures might but heads first. As well, maybe the Sel are making another attempt to steal Ruin and/or Preservation. For someone who has only read Scadrial stuff, it would seem Sel has been the most foreshadowed and most likely to come back in some way. 

Yeah maybe the Ire are making another play. Or they sold the knowledge and now someone else is trying to a similar play.

On 9/23/2022 at 0:29 PM, teknopathetic said:

My biggest hope is that Marasi meets Shai from the Emeror's Soul and that Shai has figured out a way to make her magic system function somewhat. 

That would be pretty cool, mostly because Forgery is a neat magic system.

On 23.9.2022 at 4:22 AM, Invocation said:

Now, you might see Selish people. All objections are against Selish magic systems. If you are going to hire a mercenary troop, going for the planet with the highest surface gravity makes sense. There is no reason you could not have a troop of Ghostblood paramilitaries from Sel using Aethers.

On 9/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, i’m in the details said:

So we have a wob that a new magic system will debut in tLM, and the back of the book released by tor says off worlders recruit Marasi. Who do you think they are? Are they the new magic system or will it be from the Set?

my bet is: marasi is contacted by agents of my boy Kelsier. And that one or more of them will be ghostbloods from other worlds. As for what magic will be new? I suspect this book will have our first canon showing of the Aethers. I think it makes sense given the secret projects and how much he has been talking about them recently. 

Personally I think it will be a surge binding. We know that They have agents on rocher so the idea that they might recruit a surge binder is not out of the question.

49 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

Personally I think it will be a surge binding. We know that They have agents on rocher so the idea that they might recruit a surge binder is not out of the question.

Wob says a magic system we haven’t seen before. So I suppose it could be like cohesion, or the dustbringer power. But I’m guessing he wouldn’t say that if it’s surgebinding. 

8 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

Wob says a magic system we haven’t seen before. So I suppose it could be like cohesion, or the dustbringer power. But I’m guessing he wouldn’t say that if it’s surgebinding. 

Slightly disappointed, But then again also very intrigued about a new magic system.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what Brandon is forecasting is Trell = Autonomy & the new magic system will be Autonomy's. But because that's obvious maybe that's not what he means.

2nd idea is we're getting Whimsy + India-based planet worldhopper org + whatever Whimsy's magic system is. I've heard a WoB that we're seeing a glimpse of Whimsy this book.

As cool as Sel's 3rd continent magic system would be to see, I feel like Harmony + Trell + Whimsy glimpse + threat of Odium + Sel magic system just makes for a really bonkers 140k book. 

On 10/14/2022 at 3:49 AM, Requiem17 said:

I think what Brandon is forecasting is Trell = Autonomy & the new magic system will be Autonomy's. But because that's obvious maybe that's not what he means.

2nd idea is we're getting Whimsy + India-based planet worldhopper org + whatever Whimsy's magic system is. I've heard a WoB that we're seeing a glimpse of Whimsy this book.

As cool as Sel's 3rd continent magic system would be to see, I feel like Harmony + Trell + Whimsy glimpse + threat of Odium + Sel magic system just makes for a really bonkers 140k book. 

The third empire could be India based 

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 0:02 PM, i’m in the details said:

giphy.gif