Hemalurgic Charge Tweaking

TheBreadRuler

Question

What do you guys think happens when you forge two hemalurgic spikes together?

Brandon has mentioned that a "tweak" would be required to allomancy to allow Allomantic bronze to detect Feruchemy.

A similar effect could be being able to push on non-metallic objects, which has also been mentioned by Brandon.

Identity is a big problem with unsealed metalminds, but the forceful nature of Hemalurgy has always bypassed that kind of problem.

Worst case scenario all donors are filling aluminum.

Could you create artificial resonances this way?

Thoughts?

Edit: Can a Gold Ferring spike their allomancy out, keep healing it, combine the spikes, and then spike it back in to get superpowered allomancy?.

Edited by TheBreadRuler

4 answers to this question

On 9/21/2022 at 10:05 AM, TheBreadRuler said:

What do you guys think happens when you forge two hemalurgic spikes together?

My guess is that you get a more powerful power if the two spikes contain the same power. If they are the same metal but two different powers from the same Hemalurgic quadrant, it's possible that you would get a spike that granted two separate powers - assuming, of course, that you can use certain bindpoints for multiple powers.

Brandon has mentioned that a "tweak" would be required to allomancy to allow Allomantic bronze to detect Feruchemy.

I don't know if Hemalurgy is the way to achieve this. In fact, Hemalurgy doesn't even allow for the creation of resonances in most circumstances.

Questioner

As far as Hemalurgy, when you give that-- when it's done to somebody, would that create a new resonance?

Brandon Sanderson

It's possible that it could. Though I'm gonna say, most of the time, no... Lots of things are possible, but I'll give you a "mostly no" on that one.

Questioner

What about savantism? Is that possible with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it is.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

A similar effect could be being able to push on non-metallic objects, which has also been mentioned by Brandon.

I think that is possible through extremely powerful Allomancy, which could be achieved through Hemalurgy.

Edit: Can a Gold Ferring spike their allomancy out, keep healing it, combine the spikes, and then spike it back in to get superpowered allomancy?.

I actually had that thought too! You would have to be a compounder to do so, or have Hemalurgically granted Feruchemical gold, but yes, this should be possible.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:59 PM, IlstrawberrySeed said:

There is a WoB that states you can survive, such as if you have magical healing.

Yes, and even heal back any powers you lost as long as you still have the healing power.

The main point I wanted to bring up is how Hemalurgy seems to be the Scadrian magic system that allows spiritweb tuning, but is just so general and limited to just granting powers.

We've seen Fused in Scadrial Soulcast the Sibling, Awakeners manipulating memories, and Forging is probably one of the most flexible versions of this magic.

So I believe it is possible that, in a similar way that Navani on Roshar is tuning and polarizing Investiture, a similar thing can be done to powers when they are in spikes, resulting in tweaked powers, such as Tin seeing through Lightweaving, Bronze detecting Feruchemy,

and of course with TLM (TLM big spoiler)

Spoiler

the secret to making allomancers out of nothing pretty much, which the Sect was very close to doing.

I'm also interested in Awakening hemalurgic spikes to increase or tweak the power.