Selling/Trading Brandon Swag

AquaRegia

I've seen some other questions about this, so I'm interested in community thoughts.

In a few months, many of us will begin receiving swag boxes; nobody knows yet exactly what they will contain.  I expect to get some things I don't especially want... but those things may be very valuable to another SanderFan.  How is this situation best addressed?

It looks as if Chaos and the mods will soon be announcing a ban on the use of this site to buy/sell merch, which is fine.  Believe me, the last thing I want is for swag sales to cause any trouble here... and I can certainly envision the possibility of trouble.  But the problem remains.  How do we solve it?  Are there other ways people here have regularly used to buy/sell/trade items?  What options exist?  Please discuss.

I'm somewhat bemused by the reluctance of the 17S community to discuss this.

I first posed the question - on 3 June - here.  That topic has over 300 views, and one reply (from Chaos).

I appreciate (and share!) the respect given to Eric and our team of mods; they absolutely deserve it.  They do a fantastic job of keeping this place friendly and welcoming.  I also understand that they continue to discuss this issue amongst themselves, and that some sort of announcement is forthcoming.

That said, I don't see why the rest of us can't at least TALK about it. 

A 10-second search on eBay gives 3000+ results for Brandon Sanderson items, including signed and special edition books... it's not like a market doesn't currently exist.  I have an eBay account, but I'm no longer a big fan - I feel like their fee structure has become very opaque and onerous.  I'd love other options.  Personally, I'd be happy to give away stuff I don't want, as long as the recipient is willing to pay for shipping, but I can't - and wouldn't attempt to - mandate that for everyone.

Perhaps Chaos and the mods eventually decide that we can't even TALK about selling or trading stuff here.  Then this topic gets locked or deleted, no harm done.

Am I missing something?

1 minute ago, AquaRegia said:

I'm somewhat bemused by the reluctance of the 17S community to discuss this.

I first posed the question - on 3 June - here.  That topic has over 300 views, and one reply (from Chaos).

I appreciate (and share!) the respect given to Eric and our team of mods; they absolutely deserve it.  They do a fantastic job of keeping this place friendly and welcoming.  I also understand that they continue to discuss this issue amongst themselves, and that some sort of announcement is forthcoming.

That said, I don't see why the rest of us can't at least TALK about it. 

A 10-second search on eBay gives 3000+ results for Brandon Sanderson items, including signed and special edition books... it's not like a market doesn't currently exist.  I have an eBay account, but I'm no longer a big fan - I feel like their fee structure has become very opaque and onerous.  I'd love other options.  Personally, I'd be happy to give away stuff I don't want, as long as the recipient is willing to pay for shipping, but I can't - and wouldn't attempt to - mandate that for everyone.

Perhaps Chaos and the mods eventually decide that we can't even TALK about selling or trading stuff here.  Then this topic gets locked or deleted, no harm done.

Am I missing something?

No. Double. Posting.

Personally, I think trading would be my favorite way to get rid of Sanderson swag I didn't want (if I were getting the swag; I'm too broke for.) I like the idea of trading because then people can give what they don't want to someone who does want it, and get what they do want that the other person doesn't want (as much as what they would get). Shipping costs could probably be split 50/50 or any other way both parties agree on.

Then again, my family is so focused on trading that we trade lots of our stuff amongst ourselves, including (especially) Christmas candy.