SPOILERS!!! For Stormlight archive and missborn i’m sure there’s already A lot  of posts about this but how is honor Dead are they talking about the host or the power is honor Dead in the way that preservation was dying where the host died but the power was still there so Sazed’s could take it can someone still take up the power of honor is it actually possible to kill the power of a shard

What happened is that the host of the power, the Vessel, died. But in addition, the power was Splintered, ie divided in lots of tiny pieces. The power could be reconstitued and a new Vessel Ascend, but it would be really hard.

In addition, it appears that Tanavast (the Vessel of Honor) did something in his final years to prevent his power to leak in the Cognitive Realm, as would have happened in a "normal" Splintering. We don't know exactly what it was, and we don't really know what happened to the power. Lots of things about that time stay very unclear.

Cosmere 

Spoiler

And yes, enough Splinterings have happened in the past for a notion of a "normal" Splintering to exist.

31 minutes ago, Just a Silvereye said:

What happened is that the host of the power, the Vessel, died. But in addition, the power was Splintered, ie divided in lots of tiny pieces. The power could be reconstitued and a new Vessel Ascend, but it would be really hard.

In addition, it appears that Tanavast (the Vessel of Honor) did something in his final years to prevent his power to leak in the Cognitive Realm, as would have happened in a "normal" Splintering. We don't know exactly what it was, and we don't really know what happened to the power. Lots of things about that time stay very unclear.

Cosmere 

Hide contents

And yes, enough Splinterings have happened in the past for a notion of a "normal" Splintering to exist.

I don`t think that in a regular splintering the power goes to the cognitve realm.

Arcanum unbounded

Spoiler

In Sel the power was trapped in the cognitve realm because of something Odium did. It is not the default result of splintering.

Honor could still be reforged (as it is of know, there's no case of that happening to any of the other Splintered Shards), but that would mean collecting all the pieces. One is possessed by Dalinar and the Stormfather, I suppose that one is also held by Ishar, since he was able to summon Honor's Perpendicularity and the Stormfather couldn't feel it, Kaladin has one it would seem, given his greater resistance (I know that part of that is given by the fact that he was close to achieving the 4th Ideal, but the Sibling also said that he was stronger than the rest of the Radiants) against Urithuru's Surge Suppression. Now this are just 3 pieces (that I know of) of the power of a nigh god like being, there's bound to be a lot more. Where are the rest? No clue.

4 minutes ago, Legui01010 said:

Honor could still be reforged (as it is of know, there's no case of that happening to any of the other Splintered Shards), but that would mean collecting all the pieces. One is possessed by Dalinar and the Stormfather, I suppose that one is also held by Ishar, since he was able to summon Honor's Perpendicularity and the Stormfather couldn't feel it, Kaladin has one it would seem, given his greater resistance (I know that part of that is given by the fact that he was close to achieving the 4th Ideal, but the Sibling also said that he was stronger than the rest of the Radiants) against Urithuru's Surge Suppression. Now this are just 3 pieces (that I know of) of the power of a nigh god like being, there's bound to be a lot more. Where are the rest? No clue.

It's not that sort of discrete chunk Collect-a-thon; there arent a pile of pieces to be found out in the world.  The Power was scattered and it would take an over-riding and/or overwhelming Connection to Honor (the Power) to make it all pull back together, something that rises way above all the other Connections out there (The HonorBlades, all the Spren, the Radiants themselves, Tanavast's Cognitive Shadow, etc).   

Known ways to do this sort of thing:

• Use a Metric Butt-ton of Investiture aligned to the Shard to Ascend
    • Take in the Shard's Shardpool like TLR did even Leras and Ati lived  (may not be possible with Honor & the Highstorm).
  • Manipulate Connections to rise to the top and become the Vessel
    • Many theorize Dalinar will do this eventually, being Connected to Honor through Tanavast's Ghost, along with his access to the Spiritual Realm and Connection Manipulation powers.  
    • Use a Connection Device like the Ire built for Preservation 
    • Be physically/Cognitively a witness when it's dropped initially and sufficiently resonant with the Shard (as with Passionate Mr T.)

14 hours ago, Blue-phoenix186 said:

Yes I am completely caught up with the series i’m actually on my first re-read

Well I think people answerer well enough ;)

But to reitarate, Investiture, the power, is not destryed but splintered.
As proof that powers cannot be destroyed, it is iterated in everything we've seen so far in the Cosmere, literally every series has some level of shard powers remaining without vessel and investiture itself being conserved\regenerated.
Nightblood's ability to absorbe investiture is so ridiculous that it can even hurt shards, which is what makes it so terrible an unique in the Cosmere, but again it doesn't destroy power, it's just capable of absorbing so much to even dent the immense amount of power of a shard.

Like many,I belive the Unification of shattered shards and ultimatly Adonalsium will be part of Dalinar's, or some Bondsmith's, journey. 

I do not believe there is any other way to put a shard back together that we know of.
You need to manipulate the Connection between the splinters, before you can connect to that immense amount of investiture and ascend. 
Dalinar would need need to deteach the stormfather's investiture from his congitive presence to put the shard back together and properly ascend, or least that's the way I see it. I think that once he manages to do it with Honor, he could do it (de-splintering) with other shards just as well, regardless of his connections to to those shards. Also, I think de-splintering wouldn't mean that there wouldn't be a perpendicularity or some spren, just that the vast majority of the investiture would be concentrated and tied to a vessel.

On the other hand, I don't expect anyone who cannot fully manipulate connection (5th oath bondmisth I would say) to be able to de-spliter a shard, regardless of how well that person is connected to the shard itself.
In secret history, Kelsier needed the Ire device to connect ot the shard and ascend, but this was before the shard would splinter. Indeed if Kelsier hadn't been there and the Shard had splintered, Vin couldn't have taken up the power, as there wouldn't have been a sufficient concentration of power to provide an ascension.

This is all very foggy of course I'm saying the way I see it, I can see there being different intepretations