When you run out of Sanderson,

Lesser spren

I really enjoyed the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Set of 5 books that follow an atypical protagonist; somewhat "coming of age" vibes, with many darker elements as the books go on. And the magic system is based around color, which was cool.

Exactly what comprises your Sanderson catalogue? (e.g, have you read the non-cosmere works?)

4 hours ago, sugjesstive said:

I really enjoyed the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks. Set of 5 books that follow an atypical protagonist; somewhat "coming of age" vibes, with many darker elements as the books go on. And the magic system is based around color, which was cool.

Exactly what comprises your Sanderson catalogue? (e.g, have you read the non-cosmere works?)

all cosmere and his later works

On 8/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, Lesser spren said:

I've almost finished my brandon sanderson catalougue, are there any similar authors that you'd reccomend when I'm finished?

It's a bit mainstream, but if you havn't read it already, I can strongly reccomend the "Six of Crows" duology.
It's more teen oriented than most of Sanderson's work, but I find that if you liked Mistborn, especially the Final Empire, you'll very much enjoy Six of Crows.

The main Grishaverse series, the "Shadow and Bone" trilogy, is fine and might be worth reading for world-bulding and explaining the magic system (and I don't think you can really go back to it if you read Six of Crows beforehand) so you might as well read it if you have the time and are curious, but Six of Crows is where it's at

On 9/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, Lesser spren said:

I've almost finished my brandon sanderson catalougue, are there any similar authors that you'd reccomend when I'm finished?

If you're looking for adult epic fantasy with a complex and figure-outable magic system, Wheel of Time. 

For YA fantasy, Rick Riordan is the only author I can think of who comes close in terms of dealing with heavy subjects with a good strong voice. 

You might also try older stuff--Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small was great YA for me growing up.  Less magic system messing around and more character stuff, though. 

Everybody says read Malazan, I haven't so I can't comment as to its quality. 

Six of Crows is more YA but it's generally recommended a lot, people seem to like the magic system in that 'verse. 

No fantasy list is complete without Discworld but that's COMPLETELY different in terms of style, worldbuilding, voice, everything. 

On 9/23/2022 at 3:33 AM, GroundPetrel said:

You might also try older stuff--Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small was great YA for me growing up.  Less magic system messing around and more character stuff, though. 

Her other books in that world are pretty good too, but they (Protector of the Small too honestly) are way more sexual than any of Brandon's books.

On 9/30/2022 at 9:37 PM, The Unknown Novel said:

Her other books in that world are pretty good too, but they (Protector of the Small too honestly) are way more sexual than any of Brandon's books.

I don't really count that as a bad thing, it's honestly kind of refreshing to see books for teenagers dealing with teenage hormones. 

My main issues with everything of hers I've read but Protector of the Small are more that Provost's Dog's third book sucked, Trickster was unreadable for me because Kyprioth was a scum bucket (the books were fine, just that one character annoyed the hell out of me), I didn't actually like Wild Mage except for book 2 (the one where she turns into a wolf, HUH I WONDER WHY I LIKE EVERYTHING THAT INVOLVES SHAPESHIFTERS, SURELY IT'S NOT A GENDER THING), and Song of the Lioness is dated and clunky at times. 

Protector of the Small is still a regular reread for me when I'm able to read, though. 

3 hours ago, GroundPetrel said:

I don't really count that as a bad thing, it's honestly kind of refreshing to see books for teenagers dealing with teenage hormones. 

My main issues with everything of hers I've read but Protector of the Small are more that Provost's Dog's third book sucked, Trickster was unreadable for me because Kyprioth was a scum bucket (the books were fine, just that one character annoyed the hell out of me), I didn't actually like Wild Mage except for book 2 (the one where she turns into a wolf, HUH I WONDER WHY I LIKE EVERYTHING THAT INVOLVES SHAPESHIFTERS, SURELY IT'S NOT A GENDER THING), and Song of the Lioness is dated and clunky at times. 

Protector of the Small is still a regular reread for me when I'm able to read, though. 

It's not a bad thing for me either really, but others think so.  It's not as refreshing for me though since I've got enough of that already :P.

I don't remember book titles (except for like one of the Lioness ones because I noted it was clunky and long), but, Wild Mage is by far my least favorite although I liked Lioness one and two, but three was OK and I didn't really like four, despite liking the concept. Not remembering Trickster currently, is that a book or series? Had to lookup Provost Dog, never read it. Protecter of the Small is by far the best though in my mind.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, Lesser spren said:

Epic Fantasy Options:

Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

A Chorus of Dragons by Jenn Lyons

The Licanius Trilogy by James Islington (Somewhat heavier)

Other Fantasy Options:

Shades of Magic Trilogy by V.E. Schwab

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 9:58 PM, The Unknown Novel said:

It's not a bad thing for me either really, but others think so.  It's not as refreshing for me though since I've got enough of that already :P.

I don't remember book titles (except for like one of the Lioness ones because I noted it was clunky and long), but, Wild Mage is by far my least favorite although I liked Lioness one and two, but three was OK and I didn't really like four, despite liking the concept. Not remembering Trickster currently, is that a book or series? Had to lookup Provost Dog, never read it. Protecter of the Small is by far the best though in my mind.

Trickster was a duology.  Pretty well written but the divine patron is such a dick (the protagonist does call him out but I still hate him).  Provost's Dog 1 and 2 are solid, 3 is a hot mess.  Protector of the Small rocks. 

Wild Mage--I love the second one.  Definitely not because I love transformation fantasy and animals and latent gender issues.  No siree.  The other three were meh at best.  though 3 had a fun bit with undead dinosaurs, that was cool. 

• 3 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, StormingTexan said:

I always recommend Brian McClellan. His Powder Mage series is really good and I actually liked his second series Gods of Blood and Powder better (set in same universe can read first but better if you start with Powder Mage). He was a student of Brandon's also. 

I second this.  And agree that the second trilogy is even better.   Brian McClellan is very similar to Brandon Sanderson, but has his own unique voice.

Brent Weeks' "Lightbringer" series is also a great read.  It has a hard magic system and interesting characters.   Some great twists too.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Onironte said:

@Lesser sprenI highly recommend Malaz Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.
It can be a bit boring at first, but it's totally worth it.

When did you feel the story turned around from the boring part? I read the first book and never felt into it enough to continue (with so many other books to consider), but if it picked up after the first volume I might move it up in the queue and give it another try.

26 minutes ago, Returned said:

When did you feel the story turned around from the boring part? I read the first book and never felt into it enough to continue (with so many other books to consider), but if it picked up after the first volume I might move it up in the queue and give it another try.

After the first book. I struggled a lot with the first book and nearly gave up while reading it. But I continued and I'm so glad that I did it because now this series is one of my favorites. The second and third books are one of the best in the entire series, while the first book is the weakest. And while there are some boring parts from time to time, it's not as bad as in the first book and the story is getting better and better.

• 2 weeks later...

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien😁.

On a more lighthearted but still really good side, the Wizard for Hire series by Obert Skye. 

And talking about good stuff in a excellent fantasy way is The Sunlit Lands trilogy by Matt Mikalatos. 

Or you could always wait a couple days, Brandon will probably have something new out by then. 😅