Cat Inquisitors

Satsuoni

Not sure if it could work, but if one saved all of their memories in a coppermind, and then was used to make a spike that gives the ability to use copperminds, would you be able to use the sources metalminds? Maybe someone could ask Brandon Sanderson this... If so it would make the transfer easier

Sadly, that wouldn't work. From the Brandonothology:

Czanos: Would anything interesting happen if an Allomancer Burned a Hemalurgic spike, or a Feruchemist Tapped one?

Brandon: Er, well, it’s possible. But you’d have to be burning a Hemalurgic spike that killed you and took your power... Just like you can’t gain anything by burning a metalmind unless you infused it yourself.

Also of note was Sazed's comment in Mistborn that you cannot access another Feruchemist's infused metalminds.

Kurkistan: Try this URL and 1zwj7kw.jpgGah! WHY U NO WORK?!?!?! And why does the second one work!?! They are exactly the same!!!!! Sigh, the URL is http://oi41.tinypic.com/1zwj7kw.jpg for the Cat Inquisitor Smiley...

Thanks! 1zwj7kw.jpg

Gah! This is what happens when I wait to long to post... 9 10 posts since I started typing this thing!

It's a fast-moving world out there.

Edited by Kurkistan

But would the source of the spike's metalminds belong to whomever was spiked, or would it not count. I don't think Brandon Sanderson has specifically addressed that situation.

Ah, I see your point now. A very interesting question.

But would the source of the spike's metalminds belong to whomever was spiked, or would it not count. I don't think Brandon Sanderson has specifically addressed that situation.

Yes, I am wondering the same thing. You may not be able to burn/tap your own spike, but will you be able to tap a metalmind of person you have just taken powers from? After all, you have his soul doing the actual tapping...

Yes, I am wondering the same thing. You may not be able to burn/tap your own spike, but will you be able to tap a metalmind of person you have just taken powers from? After all, you have his soul doing the actual tapping...

Which was my thought. If the metalminds are not in fact directly connected to the feruchemist, but the portion of their soul that allows them to do feruchemy, it would be plausible that it would work. I don't think Mr. Sanderson has explicitly stated what part of the metalmind-feruchemist bond allows only them to access the metalmind

Technically you can tap/store a Hemalurgic spike (Marsh does it when he "fights" Penrod.)

Technically you can tap/store a Hemalurgic spike (Marsh does it when he "fights" Penrod.)

That is a well-known fact (that Hemalurgy and Feruchemy charges are independent), but that was the power that Marsh himself stored beforehand. The question is about the previous holders of the power...

(Going to bug Brandon on Facebook).

[Edit] The AoL is come :) We shall know more soon.. but for know I am off

[Edit2] I have started to read from chapter 6.. And an idea has occurred to me: an aluminum-plated skull may protect us from emotional allomancy ;)

Edited by Satsuoni

That would in fact work to the best of my knowledge. Consider replacing claws with aluminum claws yet?

Whatever for? Claws go inside the body, so they should no be affected.. also, they offer places for clawspikes. Hm.. atium claws...

[EDIT] Right, finished AoL. Man, that was short... Not much new info to go by, if you consider that we new ARS Arcanum beforehand. The only bit that worried me was the ability to push/pull on the embedded metals, which for some reason apparently became difficult, but possible for ordinary Allomancers. What's up with that...

{EDIT2} An RP-like project sounds better and better (as I read the Nexus. I'll have to think on it, but I'll definitely need help for this one.

Edited by Satsuoni

Exceptionally amusing, of course, but perhaps not quite befitting the dignity of our noble institution.

=^.^=

That will distract them until it is too late ==^<|>.<*>^==

(remembering the late cat that used to go for artery after such games... so much blood *sigh* those were fun days)

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the size of the spikes:

Thanks to Fyodor, I can direct you to a passage in Hero of Ages where Marsh states that the size of the spike does not matter for holding a charge, but only matters for how long you want that charge to last outside of the body. Therefore, our Catquisitors needn't look like porcupines.

This thread is made of awesome.

However, I just had a chilling thought: we know there are 100-200 bind points across a human body. And your cat inquisitors, you say, might need 100 spikes each (especially since the spikes will be so small, and thus likely to lose power in the transfer). Do cats even have 100 bind points in their spirit web?

I pray that they do. If not, this noble organization might be forced to skimp a little on the intelligence, resulting in merely semi-sentient cat inquisitors, who use their Allomantic powers to follow you around, but are only smart enough to spout catch phrases in broken English. And nobody wants that.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. Also, I wonder if Hemalurgy can be used to give powers to plants, or if their lack of blood prevents it.

This thread is made of awesome.

However, I just had a chilling thought: we know there are 100-200 bind points across a human body. And your cat inquisitors, you say, might need 100 spikes each (especially since the spikes will be so small, and thus likely to lose power in the transfer). Do cats even have 100 bind points in their spirit web?

I pray that they do. If not, this noble organization might be forced to skimp a little on the intelligence, resulting in merely semi-sentient cat inquisitors, who use their Allomantic powers to follow you around, but are only smart enough to spout catch phrases in broken English. And nobody wants that.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. Also, I wonder if Hemalurgy can be used to give powers to plants, or if their lack of blood prevents it.

We might be able to steal enough of the spirit web of a human to give the cat a larger spirit web with more bind points, if it comes down to it.

Also, I don't see small spikes being that much of a problem if you have a very small interval between between charge and placement.

If you want to get more exact about it, you could probably even use some kind of mechanical press with a set depth in order to kill/spike quickly and perfectly the first time. Or a nail gun, if you're feeling like a homicidal Happy Gilmore that day.

Edited by Kurkistan

Wait... is feeling like a homicidal Happy Gilmore not normal?

Darn.

Regarding the size of spikes, I had assumed that, no matter how small they were, you could only fit one per Bind Point, though I may be wrong.

The idea of stealing so much Preservation from people that you actually net a larger Energy Web is... fascinating.

Wait... is feeling like a homicidal Happy Gilmore not normal?

Darn.

Regarding the size of spikes, I had assumed that, no matter how small they were, you could only fit one per Bind Point, though I may be wrong.

The idea of stealing so much Preservation from people that you actually net a larger Energy Web is... fascinating.

Heh. Well, you are right about bind point - one per spike. But the number of them on the cat's body is the same as on human, I think. After all, our bodies are homologous, afaik. ( that is, cat be mapped with one to one correspondence, or close enough)

Oh and by the way, Hemalugy works by stapling spirit webs together, so getting a larger resulting spirit web is normal.

Edited by Satsuoni

• 3 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic