Cat Inquisitors

Satsuoni

The spikes would still have to be ridiculously small. You'd quickly hit a point where there's more metal than cat...

And this is a problem why?

*Muwhahaha*

Edited by Kurkistan

well I would think that there's a point where even the stapled bits of Preservation aren't enough to let the cat survive having tons of spikes in them. because there probably has to be at least some organic tissue left. But who knows where that point is, experiments must be done, FOR SCIENCE!

I think we're also forgetting the warping that Hemalurgy can have. Look at koloss, for instance; two spikes that aren't even Allomantically charged, and the body gets changed into something radically different. Who's to say that after the first dozen or so spikes, the Catquisitor won't grow in size, giving us even more surface area to stick spikes into.

If we assume that the surface area of a Catquisitor grows logarithmically relative to the amount of spikes in it, that the initial surface area is 150 sq.in., and take the log as an additive multiplier we get...

0 spikes - 150 sq.in.

1 spike - 150sq.in. +150sq.in.*log(1) = 150sq.in.

2 spikes - 150+150log2 = ~195sq.in.

3 spikes - 150+150log3 = ~222sq.in.

simplifiing the list, we go to...

4 - 240

5 - 255

6 - 267

7 - 277

8 - 285

at this point, the growth has become negligable, roughly 8 sq.in. per spike - the first few spikes, though, drastically increased the size of our Catquisitor. If we go for the full 256 spikes, we end up with a cat with 511sq.in. of surface area. This is a little over three and a half times the surface area; this increases its height by nearly two times, and it's volume by six and a half. Here's a little chart, based on the Wikipedia entry on cats

Stat - Starting # - # w/ 256 spikes and logarithmic growth of surface area

Height - 10 in - 18.7 in

Length - 18.1 in - 33.9 in.

surface area - 150 sq.in. - 511 sq.in. (Note: this is the only one I made up, I don't actually know the surface area of a cat)

volume/weight - 11 lbs (5 kg) - 61 lbs (27.7 kg)

Catquisitors would be terrifying and magnificent to encounter.

Latin translation of "Let the Cats Reign" just in, hot off the brain of a Classics major.

"Feles Regirent"

*I will now paraphrase the clarifications of a greater mind than mine*

-It's subjunctive, so could technically mean "May they rule the cats." This can't be avoided, sadly.

-It is also a bit vague in that it could mean either "let" or "may."

What does everyone think of Feles Regirent as the official motto of the Caton of Inquisition?

@Cuaiir

That's showing initiative! It's mind like yours that will propel us into a bright new age of feline domination! Nice work on "Catquisitor," also: I didn't like the taste of it when I was first trying to come up with names, but it's starting to grow on me.

I think we're also forgetting the warping that Hemalurgy can have. Look at koloss, for instance; two spikes that aren't even Allomantically charged, and the body gets changed into something radically different. Who's to say that after the first dozen or so spikes, the Catquisitor won't grow in size, giving us even more surface area to stick spikes into.

The Koloss have 4 spikes for Strength. The Cat Inquisitor has at least 5 (in my original setup, anyways), but I plan to stunt the distortion by appropriately balancing the powers, no need to become too big, you know. They will still grow, of course. One must also consider that the spikes displace, rather than replace tissue, so the volume of the spikes gets added to the cat regardless.

Some change is necessary for better effectiveness, though, such as developing longer, more flexible retractable (so we could still pose as a cat, albeit rather large one with a spike in one eye) fingers for weapon usage.

(To CrazyRioter: who knows if there is such a point? Brandon had once said that the Inquisitors' internal structure changes,his vital organs may displace and/or multiply. We may have to apply additional spikes gradually, though. Also, if we use Atium-based spikes, I believe we can attach actually more soul/spirit than there were before ;) )

If we assume that the surface area of a Catquisitor grows logarithmically relative to the amount of spikes in it, that the initial surface area is 150 sq.in., and take the log as an additive multiplier we get...

0 spikes - 150 sq.in.

4 - 240

5 - 255

6 - 267

7 - 277

8 - 285

at this point, the growth has become negligible, roughly 8 sq.in. per spike - the first few spikes, though, drastically increased the size of our Catquisitor. If we go for the full 256 spikes, we end up with a cat with 511sq.in. of surface area. This is a little over three and a half times the surface area; this increases its height by nearly two times, and it's volume by six and a half. Here's a little chart, based on the Wikipedia entry on cats

Height - 10 in - 18.7 in

surface area - 150 sq.in. - 511 sq.in. (Note: this is the only one I made up, I don't actually know the surface area of a cat)

It is true =^<*>.<|>^= (I still think that a combination of steelsight/normalsight is better, so only one eye spike.

Never said it'd be a problem, just something that would need considering. Might make movement and the placement of those things we call organs kind of wierd though...

NEXT PROJECT: KOLOSS CAT!

As stated above, the SpyKat will have MORE POWER then a measly Koloss. And be smarter than an average human.

I imagine it would work down to any size of spike, but I might remember it being in Mistborn canon that the amount of power it can hold is relative to the size of its size. I might be wrong though.

I still think the size will be sufficient, since a small spike (Vin's earring) gave her the full power, apparently, or at least enough for piercing copperclouds. Also, only a small part of the spike actually has to be in the body, so we may still use the external parts of the spike as an overlapping plate armor, you know.

Latin translation of "Let the Cats Reign" just in, hot off the brain of a Classics major.

"Feles Regirent"

*I will now paraphrase the clarifications of a greater mind than mine*

-It's subjunctive, so could technically mean "May they rule the cats." This can't be avoided, sadly.

-It is also a bit vague in that it could mean either "let" or "may."

What does everyone think of Feles Regirent as the official motto of the Caton of Inquisition?

Um.. I don't like "May they rule the cats." bit... maybe something like Cosmere Feles Regitentur (Regitetur?) can work better ? (Let the Cosmere be ruled by the cats, or something like that) Could you ask?

Edited by Satsuoni

This...This is magnificent!

Where do I sign up? And is it possible to have my mind transferred into a cat?

We're just changing our group tags for now, so you could be "Shard of Cheesy Assassins, Cat Inquisitor," "Shard of Cheesy Assassins, Caton of Inquisition," or go whole hog and be just "Cat Inquisitor."

As for mind-transfer: Thank you for volunteering to be our first victim test subject contributor in the grand endeavour of imparting human-level or above intelligence upon felines!

Edited by Kurkistan

We're just changing our group tags for now, so you could be "Shard of Cheesy Assassins, Cat Inquisitor," "Shard of Cheesy Assassins, Caton of Inquisition," or go whole hog and be just "Cat Inquisitor."

As for mind-transfer: Thank you for volunteering to be our first victim test subject contributor in the grand endeavour of imparting human-level or above intelligence upon felines!

kthnx!

=^.^=

You can sign by adding the Caton of Inquisition, Catquisitor or Cat Inquisitor to you member description and/or adding the Motto/Link to the signature =^<*>.<|>^= . The motto is currently "Let the cats REIGN!", but there is an ongoing debate.

As for the mind transfer, why, I believe that yes, you can, with the spike that steals memory (I think such exists) (possibly with identity.. stealing several attributes from one person is yet undiscovered, but who knows...) You will, of course, share the body with the original Cat.

[EDIT] That was fast...

Still, as a willing volunteer i propose that memories shall be transferred.. as an exception.

And think of the implications: if only memory, but not identity can be transferred, we can create a position Memory Holders, Catquisitors that receive memories of important people amongst our enemies, while retaining their own mind. Who needs torture then? (Maybe only for fun, if one is so inclined)

We will need to work on sharing those memories, though... I have always wondered if you can access stores of feruchemist whose powers you have just received...

Edited by Satsuoni

Um.. I don't like "May they rule the cats." bit... maybe something like Cosmere Feles Regitentur (Regitetur?) can work better ? (Let the Cosmere be ruled by the cats, or something like that) Could you ask?

Which way you translate it is based upon context, so our context is simply such as to indicate that the cat's would most definitely be the ones doing the ruling. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I'll check with my person to see if throwing in a location to be ruled will make it less open to interpretation.

EDIT: I just got what =^<*>.<|>^= means. Well made.

Edited by Kurkistan

You can sign by adding the Caton of Inquisition, Catquisitor or Cat Inquisitor to you member description and/or adding the Motto/Link to the signature =^<*>.<|>^= . The motto is currently "Let the cats REIGN!", but there is an ongoing debate.

all right.

As for the mind transfer, why, I believe that yes, you can, with the spike that steals memory (I think such exists) (possibly with identity.. stealing several attributes from one person is yet undiscovered, but who knows...) You will, of course, share the body with the original Cat.

As far as I know, its only one attribute per person.

[EDIT] That was fast...

Still, as a willing volunteer i propose that memories shal be transferred.. as an exception.

As long as my mind is inside the cat I am good with it.

(Idea: this would be so fun as a forum RP.)

The thought had occurred to me, but I only just joined and I'm not even sure if I want to create a character, so I feel that starting off with a super-Inquisitor cat might be a bit presumptuous.

Edited by Kurkistan

The thought had occurred to me, but I only just joined and I'm not even sure if I want to create a character, so I feel that starting off with a super-Inquisitor cat might be a bit presumptuous.

If I recall correctly, one of the current three RP makers, Kuri Shardweaver, made an RP very soon after he joined. When I said it would be a fun RP I meant as a separate RP and not part of an existing one. I would gladly help in the process of making one if your interested.

As far as I know, its only one attribute per person.

Well, yes, for now. But there are things to consider, like :

1. the attribute changes with the bind point. What if the spike is curved to pierce several?

2. There may be ways to steal attribute without killing. Taking the other attribute seems possible then.

3. AFAIK, nobody tried to pierce a person with several spikes at the same time, for example, arranging them as one spike, (like this (top view)): <|>. Will they charge? Will the charge hold if the spike is split into two ans stuck into different points?

I have thought of that as well, but I don't know how to make one.. or what one is for that matter.

Update on the Latin as is:

"Whenever a passage is ambiguous, we go for 'which sounds most normal,' and both options here are equally abnormal, but the meaning you want is simplest"

We can possibly go for some shenanigans with a relative clause (as in 'the cats, who rule, etc.'), but I personally like the simplicity of just Feles Regirent.

If I recall correctly, one of the current three RP makers, Kuri Shardweaver, made an RP very soon after he joined. When I said it would be a fun RP I meant as a separate RP and not part of an existing one. I would gladly help in the process of making one if your interested.

Thanks for the offer. I've been giving some thought to getting into RP'ing, but I honestly don't have the time right now (nor do I have the time to be discussing the various virtues of Inquisitorial Cats, but that's beyond my control). Can I take a rain check for now? You have my blessing to create a separate RP, for what it's worth.

Edited by Kurkistan

Well, yes, for now. But there are things to consider, like :

1. the attribute changes with the bind point. What if the spike is curved to pierce several?

2. There may be ways to steal attribute without killing. Taking the other attribute seems possible then.

3. AFAIK, nobody tried to pierce a person with several spikes at the same time, for example, arranging them as one spike, (like this (top view)): <|>. Will they charge? Will the charge hold if the spike is split into two ans stuck into different points?

Might work. Is there a handy list of Hemalurgic properties of metals somewhere?

I have thought of that as well, but I don't know how to make one.. or what one is for that matter.

One of these.

Basically, its a giant collaborative story. One guy provides the plot and setting, the others provide the characters and events.

It doesn't have to be all that complex.

A character would be like this:

• Name:
  • Hometown:
  • Type of home/ neighborhood:
  • Current family:
  • Family background:
  • Friends:
  • Other close relationships:
  • Job:
  • Hobbies:
  • Favorite foods:
  • Strongest positive personality trait:
  • Strongest negative personality trait:
  • Consideration for others:
  • How other people see him/her:
  • Opinion of him/herself:
  • Ambitions:
  • Other traits:
  • Most important thing to know about this character:

and the GM, the one who provides the plot, starts off the story. All the characters then post what they are doing.

EDIT: I might just make an RP. I have been wanting to, I just wasn't sure if there would be interest.

Edited by Emeralis00

Update on the Latin as is:

"Whenever a passage is ambiguous, we go for 'which sounds most normal,' and both options here are equally abnormal, but the meaning you want is simplest"

We can possibly go for some shenanigans with a relative clause (as in 'the cats, who rule, etc.'), but I personally like the simplicity of just Feles Regirent.

OK.. It is simpler. I'll include it with translation for now. Feles Regirent!

Not sure if it could work, but if one saved all of their memories in a coppermind, and then was used to make a spike that gives the ability to use copperminds, would you be able to use the sources metalminds? Maybe someone could ask Brandon Sanderson this... If so it would make the transfer easier

So we'll just start with spikes giving it the gold feruchemy power and Auger and then just keep feeding the cat gold as we shove more spikes in... It's gotta work, right?

Make sure it is sentient enough to use the Lord Ruler's trick, otherwise having both Gold powers won't help very much...

0 spikes - 150 sq.in.

4 - 240

5 - 255

6 - 267

7 - 277

8 - 285

at this point, the growth has become negligable, roughly 8 sq.in. per spike - the first few spikes, though, drastically increased the size of our Catquisitor. If we go for the full 256 spikes, we end up with a cat with 511sq.in. of surface area. This is a little over three and a half times the surface area; this increases its height by nearly two times, and it's volume by six and a half. Here's a little chart, based on the Wikipedia entry on cats

Height - 10 in - 18.7 in

Actually, I think that Allomantic/Feruchemical spikes don't warp the host as much as a Human attribute spike does (this is believed to be the reason why Marsh spike Penrod with an Allomantic spike instead of an easier-to-acquire Human attribute spike.)

It is true =^<*>.<|>^= (I still think that a combination of steelsight/normalsight is better, so only one eye spike.)

Two words: depth perception. Without it, you might as well go with both eye sockets.

Kurkistan: Try this URL and

1zwj7kw.jpg

Gah! WHY U NO WORK?!?!?! And why does the second one work!?! They are exactly the same!!!!! Sigh, the URL is http://oi41.tinypic.com/1zwj7kw.jpg for the Cat Inquisitor Smiley...

It may be possible with Hemalurgy...there should be about 26 different Human attributes that can be stolen by Hemalurgy. This is based off of some calculations done in the Feruchemical Powers thread; basically it boils down to eight different attributes for each of the following groups: Normal metals, Atium-alloy, and Lerasium-alloy. Then you can add two more: one for Lerasium and one for the Lerasium-Atium alloy, as Lerasium and Lerasium-Atium probably don't steal Allomantic or Feruchemical powers (Atium can steal any.) And we only know 4 of them.

Gah! This is what happens when I wait to long to post... 9 10 posts since I started typing this thing!

To Soother:

I have always wondered if you can access stores of feruchemist whose powers you have just received...
, as I wrote several posts above, is the very same thing...

Two words: depth perception. Without it, you might as well go with both eye sockets.

You see, you get even better depth perception with one spike - because you see an object from your eye, and a line pointing to it from your center of mass, resulting in larger angle for triangulation, that varies depending on your posture, while with 2 spikes you only get lines originating from the same place (although the lines do seem to terminate on objects, so their length can be used as estimate).