Offworld Atium?

JustQuestin2004

41 minutes ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

So an interesting question I have would be whether any Atium made it off of Scadrial, would Krhiss have her own small stockpile of it?

And how valuable do you think it would be to Worldhoppers anyway? 

I mean, probably not too valuable since basically none of them would be able to use it. I wouldn't be surprised if many worldhoppers have had Atium in their possessions at some point.

Since there was apparently a secret cosmere trading network on scadrial that operated through the Pits, I'd be surprised if there wasn't offworld atium. And while offworlders won't be able to use it for allomancy or feruchemy (and hopefully don't know about hemalurgy), it seems that godmetals still have interesting results with investiture even when not specifically being burned or tapped or whatever. We saw this in mistborn era 2 and RoW. So I'm sure people like Khriss figured out some interesting stuff to do with Atium

Atium, when used as a spike, can steal any power.

i would say yes, there is quite a bit of atium outside of Scadrial.

Plus Brandons point of how does Sazed keep his intents 50/50. His doing something with that extra Ruin investiture.

Solid Ruin = Atium.

Just like solid Preservation = Lerasium.

3 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Atium, when used as a spike, can steal any power.

i would say yes, there is quite a bit of atium outside of Scadrial.

Plus Brandons point of how does Sazed keep his intents 50/50. His doing something with that extra Ruin investiture.

Solid Ruin = Atium.

Just like solid Preservation = Lerasium.

I'd argue the opposite.

The Final Empire's process of acquiring Atium goes as follows:

1-Skaa slaves harvest geodes from the Pits of Hathsin

2-The geodes go to certain Obligators for 'Refinement'

3-The 'Refined' Atium is hidden within a bunch of other metals as it is transported via boats to the Cache

4-Less than a tenth or so is sold to Noble Houses

At least that's how I remember it.

And I do recall that the Lord Ruler knew of the Worldhopping trades but didn't do anything about it.

And most of house Venture (the nobles in chare of the pits) didn't know about the Atium.

And I don't think that they were in any position to trade more than a pittance of Atium as most of it was stored away.

So I believe that Atium would be a rarity throughout the Worldhopping community and that it would be incredibly valuable due to being a Godmetal. Which probably have more uses than just in the Metallic Arts.  

You guys should be aware that the Atium found in era 1 isn't actually a pure god metal, it was a I believe a bit of a mistake, as god metals are supposed to have effects regardless of one's allomantic ability, which isn't how Atium in mistborn era 1 works.

this was retconned in WOBs, though I believe it's still to be put in-universe in a book.

Here's the relevant WOB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/482/#e15299

12 minutes ago, SpinningSky said:

You guys should be aware that the Atium found in era 1 isn't actually a pure god metal, it was a I believe a bit of a mistake, as god metals are supposed to have effects regardless of one's allomantic ability, which isn't how Atium in mistborn era 1 works.

this was retconned in WOBs, though I believe it's still to be put in-universe in a book.

Here's the relevant WOB:

Thank you, I was about to point that out.

21 minutes ago, SpinningSky said:

Here's the relevant WOB:

I know about that, I'm just not really sure how that relates to this?

It does leave the ever burning question as to what Pure Atium does. I'm hoping that the Lost Metal will answer it.

Oh! Do you mean if a Worldhopper somewhere got their hands on Atium and somehow distilled it into Pure Atium? Which would be burnable by everyone and thus have stupendous amounts of value to anyone anywhere?

1 hour ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I know about that, I'm just not really sure how that relates to this?

It does leave the ever burning question as to what Pure Atium does. I'm hoping that the Lost Metal will answer it.

Oh! Do you mean if a Worldhopper somewhere got their hands on Atium and somehow distilled it into Pure Atium? Which would be burnable by everyone and thus have stupendous amounts of value to anyone anywhere?

The primary reason for the Change is that he felt it didnt make sense for only Mistborn to be able to burn it.  Which implies that pure Atium would be usable by anyone, whatever it's pure allomantic effect would be.  And we know the Ire at least was actively studying Scadrian Investiture so they'd have the means, motive, and opportunity to horde some.

2 hours ago, StanLemon said:

I wasn't so much thinking anti-Investiture, but inverting the effect of the Investiture

How would that work? Like now electrum shows you the past. It would be interesting I just don't understand how it work or if it would be at all useful, and Godmetals are very powerful, I think.

42 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

How would that work? Like now electrum shows you the past. It would be interesting I just don't understand how it work or if it would be at all useful, and Godmetals are very powerful, I think.

We already kind of see it in Malatium, the internal nature of Gold that shows you your own past gets inverted and becomes an external vision of other people's past

On 9/1/2022 at 11:01 PM, Quantus said:

And we know the Ire at least was actively studying Scadrian Investiture so they'd have the means, motive, and opportunity to horde some.

Weren't the Ire only at Scadrial because they knew Preservation was dying and wanted to claim the power of a Shard for themselves?

I don't think that they were studying the Metallic Arts, though I could be wrong, it's been a while since I read Secret History.

On 9/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, Quantus said:

The primary reason for the Change is that he felt it didnt make sense for only Mistborn to be able to burn it.  Which implies that pure Atium would be usable by anyone, whatever it's pure allomantic effect would be.  And we know the Ire at least was actively studying Scadrian Investiture so they'd have the means, motive, and opportunity to horde some.

Question, based on this:

Do we think "The Lost Metal" is in reference to era 1 "Atium", this theoretical pure Atium, or a different metal entirely?

7 minutes ago, sugjesstive said:

Question, based on this:

Do we think "The Lost Metal" is in reference to era 1 "Atium", this theoretical pure Atium, or a different metal entirely?

Well it would have to have been known to have been 'Lost' and I'm not sure if Sazed would like an unchecked Godmetal that anyone could use just lying around so it would probably be the Electrum/Atium alloy that we know as Atium from Era 1.

On 9/6/2022 at 2:55 AM, JustQuestin2004 said:

Weren't the Ire only at Scadrial because they knew Preservation was dying and wanted to claim the power of a Shard for themselves?

I don't think that they were studying the Metallic Arts, though I could be wrong, it's been a while since I read Secret History.

I doubt they'd have been watching the state of the Shard, have an outpost on the edge of Scadrial, and a customized device to Connect them to the the local Shard but Not look into the local expression of Investiture.  Especially one with as much potential as the Metallic Arts seems to even on the surface, with Invested metals and direct Spiritweb manipulation that anyone can use (not just the locals).

18 hours ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

it would probably be the Electrum/Atium alloy that we know as Atium from Era 1.

Even if it is, it probably isn't all that difficult to distill it down to get pure atium. In fact, the hemalurgy chart mentions that atium (referring to the atium alloy, nalatium) "takes some refinement" to be used to hemalurgically steal any power. So it seems reasonable to assume that such a distillation process is not only possible, but has already been done