I hate conversion games and I'm busy so don't expect much from me.

So why am I signing up?

Because I have the chance to Make Fifth's Life difficult (well and hurt myself while I'm at it) by withdrawing Heledir and signing up as:

Tulkas the Valiant, who walks and makes merry amongst the Noldor, and quietly watches the doings of Melkor, who has lately been freed from the constraints of Valmar.

Manwe has chosen to give Melkor a second chance.

Tulkas isn't so sure about that. Melkor is cunning, and his fair words ring hollow. So Tulkas will watch. For it was Manwe's decision, and it is not Tulkas's place to question that, as much as he would like to.

And the instant that Melkor acts against the Valar, the moment Melkor reveals himself, then Tulkas will oppose him.

"Now in his heart Melkor most hated the Eldar, both because they were fair and joyful and because in them he saw the reason for the arising of the Valar, and his own downfall. Therefore all the more did he feign love for them and seek their friendship, and he offered them the service of his lore and labour in any great deed that they would do. The Vanyar indeed held him in suspicion, for they dwelt in the light of the Trees and were content; and to the Teleri he gave small heed, thinking them of little worth, tools too weak for his designs. But the Noldor took delight in the hidden knowledge that he could reveal to them; and some hearkened to words that it would have been better for them never to have heard. Melkor indeed declared afterwards that Fëanor had learned much art from him in secret, and had been instructed by him in the greatest of all his works; but he lied in his lust and his envy, for none of the Eldalië ever hated Melkor more than Fëanor son of Finwë, who first named him Morgoth; and snared though he was in the webs of Melkor’s malice against the Valar he held no converse with him and took no counsel from him. For Fëanor was driven by the fire of his own heart only, working ever swiftly and alone; and he asked the aid and sought the counsel of none that dwelt in Aman, great or small, save only and for a little while of Nerdanel the wise, his wife." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion, "Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor"

Melkor has been freed!

QF62 has officially begun! Get your votes and actions in! Also note some important changes to the rules; namely, Melkor has lost C1 exe immunity and has conversion; he now permanently possesses Craft and Cunning; and the Sons of Feanor will now share an anonymous doc rather than a group PM if they chance upon a Silmaril.

There is an exe today.

PMs are open. Remember that these are one-on-one, and must include both myself and @Elbereth, the Queen of the Stars herself, who has graciously agreed to IM. You may also go to her with any concerns about the game.

I am sorry for the 100% Tolkien writeup, as well as the lack of characters for those of you who requested them. I will seek to remedy that tomorrow, as I should have some time with the holiday. Spectators should be receiving a PM shortly. I blame my disorganisation on a hectic evening. :P 

Good luck!

Player List:

1. The Unknown Novel as Aegnor, son of Finarfin

2. Araris Valerian as Findor, star-watcher and boat-builder

3. Matrim's Dice as TBD

4. Shining Silhouette as Sircyn, son of Tellyn

5. JNV as Menelir of the Sea and Sky, a concerned wanderer

6. Conquestor as Sethryn, son of the Rememberer

7. The Wandering Wizard as TBD

8. da[n=??]ex as TBD

9. Devotary of Spontaneity as Nienna, a Vala committed to criminal justice reform

10. SymphonianBookworm as TBD

11. Archer as Tarell the Toothsayer

12. Kasimir as Tulkas the Valiant

Taniquetil – Ted Nasmith

Edited by Fifth Scholar

The children held hands as they danced around him. "Tar-ell, Tar-ell, sitting on the bar-rel. Who's the smart-est of us ALL?" 

Perspiration dripped from his brow as he glowered at them from his perch. "Wizzdom?" 

"Smartest! Smartest! Who's the smartest?" 

"Ahh! He ha he ha!" He pointed at their pet in reply. "Canine."

The children were dismayed. How was their dog smarter than they were? They spit on his barrel as they left. 

They hated him because he spoke the tooth. 

I'm curious why the GM thought it was safe to drop the C1 exe protection for the elim. Just rolling the dice to avoid making the round feel pointless? Or did they give them a protection item that Devo wants to swindle them out of by *checks notes* asking politely. 

TUN is asking to be killed. Which makes me think they're village. Dannnnex on the other hand, has no comments? 

Dannnnnnnex

Edited by Archer
Changed typo of naming to making

So full disclaimer:

I signed up as Tulkas to make Fifth's life difficult but it is also making my life difficult because I don't know how to RP Tulkas beyond the description of Tulkas as the party animal and brawler of the Valar RIP me. And RIP Fifth I guess.

Melkor losing C1 exe immunity makes things a bit more straightforward, since in the world with immune!Melkor, we'd have to work out if a lynch survivor was a Sailor or Melkor. We know the game starts with just E!Melkor, so basically any provable role is provably not Melkor (but remember, potentially Evil past C1!) Actions economy limits means we should be tracking kills because if Melkor is killing, he's not converting, which also helps narrow down the suspect pools. This alongside Cunning and Crafty: Crafty matters because if Melkor crafts, it looks like he can't kill. That may not be so straightforward to track but I think there are a few small possibilities there. Cunning is a reminder that if we think someone is Melkor, we can't let the exe be tied. If the exe is tied, Melkor won't die, someone else will die

17 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

No immunity for Mr. Milky so he can just lose immediately if he gets exed trying to convert Finwe. Well good luck with that. Who knows how much fun proving roles is but @ all smiths please give me shields. I should have those. I promise to grieve over your corpses in return.

Why, when there's an item limit? :P 

We could only be so lucky if Melkor *clenches fists in Tulkathian wrath* were to do something like that...

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

I'm curious why the GM thought it was safe to drop the C1 exe protection for the elim. Just rolling the dice to avoid making the round feel pointless? Or did they give them a protection item that Devo wants to swindle them out of by *checks notes* asking politely. 

Thoughts?

I am gonna go re-read the Silmarillion to figure out how to be Tulkas >>

9 minutes ago, dannnnnnex said:

Matrim's Dice

Hi hello welcome back

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

TUN is asking to be killed. Which makes me think they're village.

Yeah, and one conversion is less than I was expecting with twelve players, though maybe it was inspired by Devo and Vorros’ recent win. Whatever the case, I’m not complaining :P.

Point of order though, I don’t think the elims would have been pointless. Reads would still be made, and if someone survived an exe that’d be a bit of a flag (though I’m not sure if there are other ways to do that). But that’s a pointless line of discussion for obvious reasons :P.

If that TUN post reads village to you then we read that post differently

Probably my only post before tomorrow but I know myself so it very well could not be

Something strange was on the wind, a hollow, a space where peace should have been. Every step felt wrong beneath their feet. Something was wrong. Something was very, very wrong.

Short RP because brain tired but hi hello time for rules thinking 

Melkor one conversion means iimmune to ties plus weird smith powers utility of converted person must be weighed against action economy cause the kill uses same action slot as make item or convert plus the kill only has 40% chance of blocked so no kill probably means conversion or intentional misleading from Melkor for paranoia and a bit of time to make actions or something

Finwe the Silmarils honestly odnt seem especially great so just dont be too trusted I guess walk the narrow line al confirmed goods walk of try not to get voted but also try not to get killed which is kind of the same line everyone walks but a bit narrower also sorry you cant make PMs thats unfortunate for you oh by the way Ill be making a PM one on one with everyone tomorrow its really late today but tomorrow exists isnt that great so yeah 

Feanor oh by the way just note to self named rolles probably are just the one guy this guys basically master smith he can do all the things hes cool I guess one way to do it is propagate Fell Swords to themself and just use them as item action and role action wait hold up @Fifth Scholar is the once per game thing for Feonor and sons on Fell swrods per person or per sword also shields are good maybe consider those if the infinite swords trick doesnt pan out oh wait right theres a two thing limit um hey Fifth is there a way to discard items or do you just end up hanging on to them

Son of Feanor honestly great at murder but now that the group PMs an anonymous thing its less good for accountability 

Fingolfin pretty cool guy keeps people from being Melkored just sorta bounce between your trusts I guess 

Galadriel dont know how good the item scan really is I mean sure Melkor can make things but so can Feonor and msiths and stuff

Smith honestly do what you want shield only gives 40% coverage @Fifth Scholar is that percent cummulative and if so how  the other stuff is kinda ish like helm gives one time sword protection and theft protection but if you have the helm and one other tiem youve got the limit already like how valuable is keeping and using that vs having something else and the trinkets are cool but making them is a gamble

Sailor youre a tough guy thats cool live long and prosper 

Noble now the thing with the noble is its passive from the wording so no matter what they just get one off so any vote off is either apssive noble or jewel

Orator makes nonvoters vote so made useless if everyone just voted be on the lookout cause I think its the only way to add votes check if Im wrong its really late here Im tierd

Messenger is PM life role be careful with the spying cause it maes them immune to future spying @Fifth Scholar is it the entire PM from the starrt of the game or something like start of the cycle and are cycles marked in whatever transcript thing

Ok time for item thoughts

Shield keeps protected from gtting blocked plus maybe from murder two people with shield rotate off for great defense

Helm prevents anything messing with your tiems I guess sword just breaks it but plus side passive so yeah

Sword stops a lot of the fun stuff from going on with items and gets a one use action block too I guess 

Fell Sword can only be used by Feanor adjacent hang on theres a thought what if Feanor filled up peoples inventories with fell swords that they couldnt use and if thre isnt a discard function theyd just be stuck with buckets of useless swords probably too time consuming thougho nly one Feanor lots of epoeple lots of rounds allows for block actions and one use murder

Silmaril doubles your vote @Fifth Scholar does jewel take off one of these votes or all of them

Trinket now theyre fun but hard to get knife does robbery one use jewel does vote manip but passed on carving seems cool honestly but not amazing for much cause not much is secret here unless you think youre going to get converted and want to infodump before your valeus are changed against your will maybe gemstone seems a bit hmm @Fifth Scholar when it says redirect actions does it mean select a player the target of all of their actions become you or select a player all action that target them now target you

Ok thats food for thought Im going to sleep befoer I pass out at my desk night night sleep tight

5 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

If that TUN post reads village to you then we read that post differently

?

Sethryn

True, Melkor wandered free now amongst the Noldor. Tulkas thought it was a mistake, and he knew that Ulmo saw the danger there, the sharp point of the fish-hook. There were rumours that Melkor at times took on the seeming of one of the Noldor, and Tulkas's heart had misgivings about this practice.

Still, he strode out from the gates of Valmar, and towards hill-crowned Tirion, rising like a shining jewel on the necklace of the steep-walled valley of Calacirya. Ulmo kept to his own counsel now, as did Tulkas, but the more he heard of the secrets and fair words Melkor lavished on the Noldor, the more Tulkas's gut clenched. Something was wrong, even if weeping Nienna had cast herself on Melkor's side out of pity; even if Manwe himself had been stirred to grant Melkor his pardon.

He'd fought Melkor, wrestled with him at Utumno and earlier, when the Valar first went to war with the Enemy. One such as Melkor did not change. His heart had been thoroughly poisoned and it galled Tulkas, that Manwe could not see it. Equally galling, that they had to abide by Manwe's decision.

But to rebel was to take Melkor's path, and that, above all, Tulkas would not do.

But he watched.

And if Melkor wandered free amongst the Noldor, wearing the visage of one of the Noldor, then it would be all the more difficult to know if Melkor was up to something.

No, Tulkas thought; corrected himself.

Of course Melkor was up to something, as sure as the swift winds on the plains of Valmar. As certain as the sunrise.

He would have to be found, and stopped.

Without crossing the line that Manwe had set for them all.

Eru, Tulkas sighed.

Why couldn't these things be straightforward?

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

?

I think Archer put a lot of stock into him ‘wanting to die’, but more just that it feels like TUN could be preemptively pointing it out in the hopes of avoiding it altogether.

Which I guess can be read as either alignment :P. But either way not something that’s worth more than a passing comment at the moment.

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

I think Archer put a lot of stock into him ‘wanting to die’, but more just that it feels like TUN could be preemptively pointing it out in the hopes of avoiding it altogether.

Which I guess can be read as either alignment :P. But either way not something that’s worth more than a passing comment at the moment.

I'd put more stock on wanting to die closer to rollover.

But I fully endorse NFC (TM) reads.

1 minute ago, Kasimir said:

I'd put more stock on wanting to die closer to rollover.

But I fully endorse NFC (TM) reads.

And I agree with that. Another point is that I didn’t even read TUNs post as wanting to die at all, but I don’t know what to do with that. Nothing? :P.

Anyways, off to bed for real now. Will send some PMs tomorrow, unless I’ve already been sent all the ones I would make. Do we think it’s worth it to limit PMing to force Melkor to make a greater shot in the dark for a conversion, or is it better to have communication since it’s basically a shot in the dark for them anyway?

50 minutes ago, Archer said:

Or did they give them a protection item that Devo wants to swindle them out of by *checks notes* asking politely. 

No items block the exe, just jewels and better jewelsTM

can avoid it hitting you a little. Only kill is Feanor who can make a fancy sword, kill someone, pass it down to his children, they kill someone, pass it, etc. Fun for the whole family! Shame about the posthumous requirement.
44 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Why, when there's an item limit? :P 

One such as Melkor did not change. His heart had been thoroughly poisoned and it galled Tulkas, that Manwe could not see it. Equally galling, that they had to abide by Manwe's decision.

But to rebel was to take Melkor's path, and that, above all, Tulkas would not do.

I can use shields faster than the smiths can make them definitely and for sure.

We'd have had better luck with this if we hadn't sealed him away for so long. I'd have to work extra hard to show any compassion to people who did that to me.

Manwe's just a guy, as fallible as the rest of us. He should like it if we disagree with his rulings. Illuvatar could have just made 17 Manwe's if he wanted a bunch of powerful beings to all make the same decisions.