Now even while Feanor and the craftsmen of the Noldor worked with delight, foreseeing no end to their labours, and while the sons of Indis grew to their full stature, the Noontide of Valinor was drawing to its close. For it came to pass that Melkor, as the Valar had decreed, completed the term of his bondage, dwelling for three ages in the duress of Mandos, alone. At length, as Manwe had promised, he was brought again before the thrones of the Valar. Then he looked upon their glory and their bliss, and envy was in his heart; he looked upon the Children of Iluvatar that sat at the feet of the Mighty, and hatred filled him; he looked upon the wealth of bright gems, and he lusted for them; but he hid his thoughts, and postponed his vengeance.

Before the gates of Valmar Melkor abased himself at the feet of Manwe and sued for pardon, vowing that if he might be made only the least of the free people of Valinor he would aid the Valar in all their works, and most of all in the healing of the many hurts that he had done to the world. And Nienna aided his prayer; but Mandos was silent.

Then Manwe granted him pardon; but the Valar would not yet suffer him to depart beyond their sight and vigilance, and he was constrained to dwell within the gates of Valmar. But fair-seeming were all the words and deeds of Melkor in that time, and both the Valar and the Eldar had profit from his aid and counsel, if they sought it; and therefore in a while he was given leave to go freely about the land, and it seemed to Manwe that the evil of Melkor was cured. For Manwe was free from evil and could not comprehend it, and he knew that in the beginning, in the thought of Iluvatar, Melkor had been even as he; and he saw not to the depths of Melkor's heart, and did not perceive that all love had departed from him for ever. But Ulmo was not deceived, and Tulkas clenched his hands whenever he saw Melkor his foe go by; for if Tulkas is slow to wrath he is slow also to forget. But they obeyed the judgment of Manwe; for those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor"

The Noldor find their hearts gladdened by the fair land of Valinor and the craft and skill of the Valar. Song bursts forth continually from Taniquetil, the palace of Valmar basks in the glow of the living Two Trees, and even the twilight hours are sanctified by festival and rejoicing. There seems to be no bounds to the bliss or the endeavours of the Noldor, and the greatest of these first Children of Iluvatar already seek to prove their cunning and reflect the light and joy of the holy city. Yet amidst this, the most ancient foe lurks; he who first broke the lamps of Valinor and plunged Middle-earth into darkness, whose fastness in the ancient strongholds of Utumno and Angband was never fully plummeted and rooted out, whose new clemency poses an existential threat to the cooperation of the Noldoli and the Valar. Melkor, He Who Arises in Might, roams free again. And Arda may not escape the doom of his coming a second time, unless the Noldor themselves can resist his lies...

Welcome to QF62! The rules for the game may be accessed here. They are also, in slightly less organised form, presented in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Housekeeping:

Spoiler

24-hour combined cycles. Every cycle, there is an exe, and the player with the most votes is imprisoned. Ties are determined randomly.

PMs are open, one-on-one only, so long as a Messenger is alive. This will be announced in the writeup.

Two-cycle inactivity filter. You must post to evade the filter. 

Players may take one role action and one item action per cycle.

If a player dies, his items go to an Heir designated in the GM PM (this is a free action). If a player has not declared an Heir, the items are randomly redistributed. Items must be Heired collectively.

A player may hold at most two items. (Silmarils do not count against this limit.) Extra items are lost.

Factions:

Spoiler

The Faithful: Believe that the Valar have been just and fair rulers for the Noldoli, and that the Elves should enjoy their governance in the Blessed Realm. Win by imprisoning Melkor and any Corrupted.

Melkor and the Corrupted: Wish to see the Eldar sundered from the Valar, and from the peace they enjoy in Valinor. Covet the Silmarils. Win by outnumbering the Faithful.

Roles:

Spoiler

Melkor: The only starting player in his faction. Possesses X conversions (which may be used as role actions), C1 exe immunity, and the following abilities:

Kill: Melkor may target a player and kill him. This ability is lost after his first conversion, and becomes the faction kill of the Corrupted.

Craft: May create a Helm, Sword, or two Trinkets. This ability is lost after his second conversion, as the second converted player immediately gains the Smith role.

Cunning: Cannot be jailed by a tied exe. Is lost after his third conversion, or his second if he has only 2.

Finwe: Cannot be converted or protected. When Finwe is killed or imprisoned, the Silmarils enter the game. Finwe may not create PMs.

Feanor: The master craftsman of the Noldor, the Spirit of Fire, maker of the Silmarils which now lie locked in Formenos. Every cycle, may craft a Fell Sword, Sword, Shield, Helm, or Trinket, and give it to himself or another player. 

Son of Feanor: May use the killing potential of the Fell Sword. If one Son of Feanor holds a Silmaril, all Sons of Feanor in the game enter a group PM, which is immune to spying.

Fingolfin: More soft-spoken than his half-brother, he may target one other player each cycle and convince him to hold firm to the Valar, protecting him from Melkor’s conversion. Cannot target the same player twice in a row.

Galadriel: Fiery and independent, yet sympathetic to Feanor. May protect another player on odd-numbered cycles, and item-scan another player on even-numbered cycles.

Smith: Each cycle, may fashion a Shield, Helm, or Trinket for any player. If a Smith attempts to fashion a Sword, he has only a 60% chance of success.

Sailor: Possesses an extra life.

Noble: Well regarded among the Noldoli, these Elves have a vote removed from them each exe.

Orator: May choose one player each cycle who has not voted and move his vote to a player.

Messenger: While this role is alive, PMs are open. Each cycle, the Messenger may target two players and read their PM conversation, if one exists. Doing so will alert them that they were spied upon, and render any of their future communication unreadable.

Items:

Spoiler

Shield: A player using a Shield may target a player and protect him from all Sword and Fell Sword attacks. Sadly, this offers only 40% effective protection against the Corrupted kill. Cannot be used to guard the same player twice in a row.

Helm: Passive immunity to a Knife or Sword attack. If a Helm blocks a Sword attack, it breaks.

Sword: A player holding a Sword may target another player and item-block him. Once per game, he may instead action-block another player.

Fell Sword: Feanor has perfected the craftsmanship of these swords. A player holding a Fell-Sword may target another player and action-block that player. Once per game, if the holder is Feanor or a Son of Feanor, he may kill another player.

Silmaril: Each Silmaril held by a player increases his vote strength by one. 

Trinket: A small, one-use item. A d4 is rolled when a Trinket is created, and the player receives:

1. Knife. Stab a player, stealing a random item from him. The Knife is dropped and destroyed.

2. Jewel: Bribe a player, negating his vote. That player receives the Jewel.

3. Carving: Add an anonymous message to the cycle’s writeup.

4. Gemstone: Redirect another player’s actions to yourself. The gem is lost after this action.

Order of Actions:

Spoiler

Gemstone redirect

Shield

Sword item block

Sword/Fell Sword action block

Carving

Jewel bribe

Orator vote manip

Messenger PM spy

Smith/Melkor/Feanor crafting

Knife item steal

Fingolfin conversion protection

Sword/Galadriel kill protection

Melkor conversion

Melkor/Corrupted/Fell Sword kill

Exe

Heiring

Galadriel item scan

Nothing to see here, move along now

Changes to the rules based on playercount, if any, will be announced C1. Please participate if you can, as it will be more fun with everyone joining in. :) If you intend to spectate, or would like to co-GM to help with writeups or PMs, do tell me that as well, and I will accomodate you as best I can. (Eru, that sounded so much like a line from a syllabus. Can you tell it's the start of the school year? :P)

This game will begin in a week's time, at 10:00 PM on Sunday 4 September at 10:00 PM EDT (-4:00 UTC). Unless circumstances change, this will also be the standard rollover time. 

My IM for this game will be edited into this space once I receive one, and as usual, you may go to him or her with any concerns you may have about the game.

Thank you all! I'm looking forward to a fun Tolkien game, so please RP and have fun. And if you want help with a character I will make one for you I will help you find something you like :P 

Good luck!

Player List:

Spoiler

1. The Unknown Novel as Aegnor, son of Finarfin

2. Araris Valerian as Findor, star-watcher and boat-builder

3. Matrim's Dice as TBD

4. Shining Silhouette as Sircyn, son of Tellyn

5. JNV as Menelir of the Sea and Sky, a concerned wanderer

6. Conquestor as Sethryn, son of the Rememberer

7. The Wandering Wizard as TBD

8. da[n=??]ex as TBD

9. Devotary of Spontaneity as Nienna, a Vala committed to criminal justice reform

10. SymphonianBookworm as TBD

11. Archer as Tarell the Toothsayer

12. Kasimir as Tulkas the Valiant

Quick Links:

Rule Clarifications:

Spoiler

Note: this game drawn from chs 6-9 :P 

Is Melkor’s conversion count public?

Yes.

White Ships From Valinor – Ted Nasmith

Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity

Still feel bad about not finishing LotR, but I’ll play. I’ll figure out a character later, even though I also don’t really RP that much :P.

Also, PSA— This will serve as a test game since it’ll be the first that clashes with the new school year for me, so we’ll see how it goes. Shouldn’t be too bad I think.

As the sun fell past the horizon, shining red and gold through the trees, Menelir went home. The air was warm with the fading light, and they moved through the trees with the light ease of familiarity. They leapt from stone to stone, never touching the ground out of a personal challenge. At the final leap, they grabbed a branch and swung through the air. Then they hit something that had not been there before. A spear, stabbed into the earth. The wood was smooth, devoid of splinters. They pulled it out of the earth slowly and stared at the blade, marvelling at its shine even as they recoiled. There should not have been a weapon here in this place of safety and seclusion. There should not have been a weapon at all. 

Menelir of the Sky and Sea held the end of an era in their hands and watched as the last of the light faded.

Hi hi hi signing up as Menelir as said in the RP I do have school though so I wont be always on sadness expect like daily checkins ish bye bye

A Silmarillion game! How can I refuse?

And yet... school... must learn time management...

But it's SE and it's the Silmarillion! I can't miss this!

I'll spectate. I need to see how much free time I actually have during the school year before I sign up for any games. 

1 hour ago, Luckspren said:

I'll spectate. I need to see how much free time I actually have during the school year before I sign up for any games. 

Good job exercising better self control than the rest of us who are playing the game to see how it works with school :P 

sign me up boss

been too long since i've played an SE game

few questions:
1. will it be public knowledge as to how many alignment conversions Malkor has?
nvm turns out i only have one question

i'd like to comment that it is really messing with my brain that we have 3 items called a sword, fell sword, and dagger, and none of them are kill items.:P (well fell sword is sometimes but you know what i mean.)

Edited by dannnnnnex

On 8/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, Fifth Scholar said:

And if you want help with a character I will make one for you I will help you find something you like :P 

Right I forget that you always make this offer

Please make me a character :P 

10 hours ago, dannnnnnex said:

sign me up boss

been too long since i've played an SE game

few questions:
1. will it be public knowledge as to how many alignment conversions Malkor has?
nvm turns out i only have one question

i'd like to comment that it is really messing with my brain that we have 3 items called a sword, fell sword, and dagger, and none of them are kill items.:P (well fell sword is sometimes but you know what i mean.)

Welcome! Yes, the conversion count will be public. 

9 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Right I forget that you always make this offer

Please make me a character :P 

8 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I'm gonna have to accept too.

Please make me a character as well.

Alright, all y’all will receive characters D1. I will leave you to the dubious collective mercy of me, my IM, and possibly @Kasimir :ph34r:

Edit:

Spectators are noted, though if people want to pinch-hit, I won’t say no to that either.

Ed2t:

Convenient Silmarillion synopsis is enclosed under rule clarifications. If you’d like a less sarcastic and cryptic explainer, YouTube is your friend :P 

Edited by Fifth Scholar

2 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Alright, all y’all will receive characters D1. I will leave you to the dubious collective mercy of me, my IM, and possibly @Kasimir :ph34r:

How did I suddenly get involved :P

On the one hand, Silmarillion...

On the other hand, conversion game >:(

Do I want to suffer.

On the third hand, I'm taking a break.

On the fourth hand, Age2.

On the fifth hand...

Wait whose hands are these?

Edited to add: Have something due so if I play, things will be tighter than I'd like. @Fifth Scholar Signing up to spectate as Heledir, a fisherman who is watching events with increasing alarm.

Edited by Kasimir