Returned Inquisitors,

Trusk'our

Question

1 answer to this question

Based on the warbreaker annotations I would assume that a returned would be able to change their height/voice. We have a specific statement about height, and it seems to me that voice could also be included in the list since changing the shape of the throat would lead to a change in voice and we know they can change weight/height.

Depending on what you mean by the 'perception of self', it may have more to do with mastering the divine breath than their perception of themselves. They have the ability to change their hair/height/weight/ect. to disguise themselves with enough control. I don't think this is by changing their perception of themselves though, but I don't think we have a specific statement to say one way or another. 

How do they hide that they're Returned? Well, it comes down to mastery of their ability to change their appearance. They can't shape-shift entirely; they can just alter some things about their appearance. They can change their weight, their hair color, and things like that at will. Vasher doesn't do this often, but Denth has been known to use it as a disguise. The problem, after you do this once and someone realizes it, your nature becomes very suspect.

They have learned to suppress their divine Breath. This allows them to hide, but they must be careful never to give away all of their Breath. Denth has been a Drab before—he's not completely lying—but never for longer than a few days. And his divine Breath is always there, suppressed. So he doesn't know what it's like to be a true Drab, which is why in this chapter he says he doesn't think it changes you that much. He's never felt it.