Yesteel's whereabouts

Roocifer

So I'm currently going through my re-read of The Bands of Mourning. I was reading the clip of the New Seran broadsheet that's right before chapter 6, and I noticed this:

The map's secret pocket contains her father's parting gift to her, the location of a tribe of metal beings-the kalkis-lost creations of the Lord Ruler.

Now all these rumors and legends in Mistborn Era 2 need to be taken with a grain of salt, but the first thing this reminded me of was the awakened army of Lifeless in Warbreaker. I can't see hemalurgy causing metal beings to come to life, but I could see awakening doing that. So here's my crazy theory:

Yesteel is hiding out on Scadrial, and is still experimenting with awakening...

Thoughts?

I thought that "Metal beings" means some constructs similar to inquisitors - mostly humans (or mistwraith) but with a lot of visible metal spikes. Since the seccond era scaddrian don`t know about hemulargy they would assume that the spike are part of the kalkis and not something used to create them.

But it will be cool if it is actually awakend objects. 

I was assuming those were Hemalurgic constructs on someone's (either Kelsier and Spook, the Set, Paalm, or even the Southern Scadrians theoretically) attempts to understand what the limit of various alterations were and the map was a way to bury a method of getting back the location in case something catastrophic happened to the person who knew where it was with any exactness.
I kind of like the Awakened thing better though.

Edited by Invocation

It could be! Though there are a couple of significant hurdles. It would be hard for Yesteel to survive on Scadrial as he'd have no clear access to the Investiture that would let him preserve his divine Breath, and similarly he'd need a ton of Breaths to practice Awakening this way. We know that Nightblood was expensive to create. But Vivenna's sword in Oathbringer strongly implies that some of these issues have been mitigated.

I'd just assumed that that entry in the broadsheet was a fanciful element of an adventure story, but maybe I was too dismissive.

20 minutes ago, Returned said:

It could be! Though there are a couple of significant hurdles. It would be hard for Yesteel to survive on Scadrial as he'd have no clear access to the Investiture that would let him preserve his divine Breath, and similarly he'd need a ton of Breaths to practice Awakening this way. We know that Nightblood was expensive to create. But Vivenna's sword in Oathbringer strongly implies that some of these issues have been mitigated.

I'd just assumed that that entry in the broadsheet was a fanciful element of an adventure story, but maybe I was too dismissive.

Couldn't you use Allomantic metals to fuel your divine breath? I'm pretty sure Zahel uses stormlight to keep himself going. As for the breaths need for awakening, I think you might be right. He would need a lot of breaths. I think overall this theory is possible, but unlikely.

4 minutes ago, That1Cellist said:

Couldn't you use Allomantic metals to fuel your divine breath? I'm pretty sure Zahel uses stormlight to keep himself going. As for the breaths need for awakening, I think you might be right. He would need a lot of breaths. I think overall this theory is possible, but unlikely.

Maybe, but the convenience of Roshar is that Stormlight just rolls through the whole world periodically via Highstorms, brimming with raw, accessible Investiture. To use Allomantic metals I think you'd have to be an Allomancer, and that seems unlikely (though not impossible!). There would have to have been a bead of Lerasium apart from the others (or the timing of Yesteel finding it would have to predate Well of Ascension), or he'd have to turn to Hemalurgy or intricate Feruchemy via an appropriate, unkeyed combination metalmind.

The issues are surmountable with enough knowledge and ingenuity, both of which I think Yesteel could have. Or he could just move between worlds as necessary-- he doesn't need to be on Scadrial constantly. Or he learned enough to allow him to interconvert Investiture in ways that would let him mimic Breaths to the degree he needed. Or he figured out a cheat, like with Khalad's Phantoms being stone-encased human bones, which would make Awakening something a person might describe as a "metal being" much easier and more affordable. Or all of the above.

The whole Southern Scadrial reveal has made me much more receptive to the idea that Scadrial has a lot more secrets than we've discovered so far. And as Cosmere stories move forward I think that most Cosmere-aware people are going to gravitate towards Scadrial and Roshar, so it would make sense for an important figures to set up shop on one or the other.

I really don't see any way to feed Divine Breath with Metallic Arts. Nicrosilminds don't store Investiture but the ability to use Investiture, like your ability to use Feruchemy. You can store it in a nicrosil spike, but you still need invested entities to spike. And finding the amount needed to do Awakening experiments is basically impossible. For me, Yesteel is either on Nalthis or on Roshar - these are the only planets where he can get enough Investiture to survive, let alone pursuing his research on Awakening.

That said, there could be people working on Metallic Arts-enhanced Awakening. (It's the only reason I see for an Awakener to work on Scadrial, since again Investiture is so hard to find there.) Yesteel could be in league with them somehow - he can stay on Scadrial for a short time. He could even be the one feeding them with Breaths (Stormlight is not transportable out of Roshar)

Or we read too much in this excerpt from an adventure story in a broadsheet (deeply repliable sources, as Allomancer Jak can tell you)

2 hours ago, Returned said:

Maybe, but the convenience of Roshar is that Stormlight just rolls through the whole world periodically via Highstorms, brimming with raw, accessible Investiture. To use Allomantic metals I think you'd have to be an Allomancer, and that seems unlikely (though not impossible!). There would have to have been a bead of Lerasium apart from the others (or the timing of Yesteel finding it would have to predate Well of Ascension), or he'd have to turn to Hemalurgy or intricate Feruchemy via an appropriate, unkeyed combination metalmind.

Do be fair, on Scadrial there are mists everywhere at night. If the Ire could invent a device to create a temporary Connection to the shard of Preservation, then I bet one of the 5 Scholars could find a way to convert the investiture in the mists into Breath. Someone should ask Brandon on the next Q&A.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 3:49 AM, Roocifer said:

Do be fair, on Scadrial there are mists everywhere at night. If the Ire could invent a device to create a temporary Connection to the shard of Preservation, then I bet one of the 5 Scholars could find a way to convert the investiture in the mists into Breath. Someone should ask Brandon on the next Q&A.

The Mists are regional in Era 2, it was Era 1 where the Mists were global.

But yeah, there is actually ambient Investiture on Scadrial, what with the Mists being from Preservation/Harmony, so I think it wouldn't be too unbelievable if one of the scholars figued out how to use the Mists to keep themselves alive, like Vasher with Stormlight.

It would probably be trickier then just stepping into the Mists and breathing in though. Perhaps compressing it into a liquid and drinking it?

On 8/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, Returned said:

I can think of so many ways of Yesteel to abuse the Scadrial magic systems to get investiture on demand. If he gets allomancy from either a learisum bead (unlikely but maybe) or through spiking himself with the powers of an allomancer. I don't know if tapping into preservations powers for allomancy would help Yesteel, since all of the investiture would go into an effect that directly affects the world. There isn't a space in that cycle for Yesteel to tap into the preservation's investiture. One way that I think would let Yesteel get infinite investiture is to be a nicrosiol compounder, again by stealing it through hemalurgy. He could just store a little bit of investiture into a nicrosiol-mind and then burn the mind. You get to steal infinite investiture from preservation and live on Scadrial super easily, making awakened monstrosities for the rest of his days.

Edited by Mr. Misting