Ookla the Confused

How did you become a Sanderfan?

9 posts in this topic

I first learned about Brandon Sanderson when watching youtube videos, and I heard he was "pretty good". I read Mistborn, and finished Era 1 immediately upon discovering there were sequels to TFE. Later, a friend told me pretty much every day, "read Way of Kings", so I read Way of Kings. At that point, I was a fully fledged Sanderfan and read every single book by him that I could get, starting with Words of Radiance. I'm not sure how I found the 17th Shard, but it was probably through the Coppermind. Now I'm waiting for The Lost Metal and listening to the Shardcast. 

How did you guys become a Sanderfan? 

Posted (edited)

On 8/14/2022 at 2:47 PM, Odiumiumium said:

a friend told me pretty much every day, "read Way of Kings", so I read Way of Kings.

You're welcome :P.

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed
Smiley

I was in a book club, and someone I enjoyed talking and complaining about books with recommended Six of Crows and the Stormlight Archive. I read SoC and loved it, and had my brother buy me WoK, which I loved. And then I read all of the SA, Mistborn Era's 1 and 2, and then a lot more books. :D

I read the rithmatist in fifth grade, and found mistborn in middle school. But I didn't read stormlight until my sophmore year and then devoured the rest of sandersons books later that year.

I found Steelheart in the book section at Goodwill. Sat right down, started reading, and by the time my mom was ready to check out, I was hooked. I read the rest of the Reckoners as soon as I could, but wasn't aware he'd written anything else. 

I found the first Alcatraz at the library, and laughed myself just about to death. Because the author picture was a potted plant, I didn't make the connection that they were the same Brandon Sanderson.

A while later, I checked out Alcatraz again, looked at the author bio, and made the connection. I looked up a list of his books, but kept forgetting to look for them. 

Another while later, at the library again, I spotted Way of Kings, checked it out, and here I am. 

I read White sands first or Alcatraz (I know, white sands...)

I was reading Wheel of Time for the first time when Sando took over, I was really impressed how he took over from another author and was able to emulate another authors writing style while staying true to his own. I would have preferred if RJ could have finished it but I was impressed enough to check out his own work.

I'm not ashamed to admit I really struggled with Elantris and Emperors Soul (which I later came to love) and really enjoyed Mistborn but........ Stormlight..... Stormlight Archive really rocked my world. It was on that read that I notice a couple of things that made me really suspicious (I had no Idea the Cosmere existed at this point) enough to Join the 17th Shard and again, my world was shaken to it's core. Reread followed reread and positive fan interactions on the 17th shard made the fandom enjoyable and I'm still here. 

Posted (edited)

I began with Sando in the summer of 2018; a friend had recommended Stormlight in particular. 

I read through Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, and Oathbringer before September. It consumed me! Which was very surprising. I hadn't even attempted to read a novel in years; ADHD can make it hard; nevermind an epic fantasy novel with 1200+ pages. But Brandon's characterization & world-building were unlike anything I had ever been exposed to before. 

[Side note nobody asked for: I saw so much of myself in Shallan, I took my ass back to therapy. Life now is so much better than it was in 2018.]

I read Mistborn Era 1 during Fall 2018, since I couldn't get enough, and quickly inhaled Warbreaker after that — and for what it's worth, it was honestly Warbreaker that convinced me that this man was indeed worth the pedestal I had(have) him on. That novel is stormin' beautiful. 

Now it's Summer 2022 and I've consumed all the cosmere stuff, and the novellas. :) Plus the Skyward series. I am in the process of rereading The Final Empire and Way of Kings now. And sometime next year, I'll probably begin his other non-cosmere works. Alcatraz 5 (?) ending was spoiled for me in one of the 17S eps — but it was so dark, it made me wanna pick it up more.

21 hours ago, AerionBFII said:

I'm not ashamed to admit I really struggled with Elantris and Emperors Soul (which I later came to love) and really enjoyed Mistborn but........ Stormlight..... Stormlight Archive really rocked my world. 

You aren't the only one who struggled with Elantris! It's rough, and IMHO Raoden is a Mary Sue. Hrathen is the rust, but also insufferable. And part of the ~experience~ is feeling perpetually uncomfortable as all the Shaod characters deal with a very painful/gruesome/grotesque curse.

I liked the novellas set on Sel, BUT ONLY AFTER reading the intro to Arcanum Unbounded, and looking at the damn maps on the inside covers of the collection. 

Edited by sugjesstive

I began to read WoT about 2 years ago, at a friend's recommendation. I really enjoyed it but all along I was worried about the end because I knew it was written by another author and even though everyone on the Internet loved the last books, I was still afraid it would not be satisfying.

Then I reach the Gathering Storm. And my craziest expectations are blown out of the water bc it's just great. Immediately, I rush to check what else that Sanderson guy has written outside of WoT, I hear about a thing called the Cosmere, try to find more information, and stumble on a site called Coppermind. After quite a time of wandering on it, I realize two things:

1)I should not have read that much pages, there are spoilers everywhere

2)I want to read everything set in this universe.

A few weeks later, I get to the library, and find a copy of Emperor's Soul. I take it, read it, and make it read to my entire family.

A few months later, I had read all of the published Cosmere books except White Sand :D