Ookla the Pencil Taxi

Character age and remembering?

7 posts in this topic

I'm writing a story(see the status update before my last one), and I was wondering what a good age would be for the main character to be taken from her parents, so that she has a faint memory of a feeling of them? Nothing concrete, just vague feelings.

4-7.

it's a vague enough range that it seems plausible, i guess. just my thoughts.

Any age before ten, I barely remember last year except for snippets, so before ten, before seven is better, but some people just have better or worse memories, so any age really should work.

Quarterfeather's first memory was at age four.

I'm not sure when mine was, but I'm fairly sure I was younger than seven.

You could make it early enough that your main character doesn't know when she was taken, and late enough that nobody's really sure how old she is or how old she was when she was taken. Maybe three or four???

41 minutes ago, Tani said:

Quarterfeather's first memory was at age four.

I'm not sure when mine was, but I'm fairly sure I was younger than seven.

You could make it early enough that your main character doesn't know when she was taken, and late enough that nobody's really sure how old she is or how old she was when she was taken. Maybe three or four???

I have memories of single moments for up to before four, although I couldn't place them by the memories themselves. I also have that same kind of snapshot of when I was ten or nine, so like I said, anytime before ten works really.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, Shallan Stormblessed said:

I'm writing a story(see the status update before my last one), and I was wondering what a good age would be for the main character to be taken from her parents, so that she has a faint memory of a feeling of them? Nothing concrete, just vague feelings.

Personally, my first memories are from when I was 3 and they are made up of vague feelings and a couple moments.

I have more concrete memories from 4-5 onwards.

It depends on how old the character is and if they can remember things wonderfully or if they remember things like me, haha. But from 3-10 could be a good range. I don't remember a lot of stuff from when I was 10. If the character is 20 or so memories from when they were 10 will probably be hard to remember. 3-6 is a good range though, like the others said.