Mason Wheeler

Robert Jordan changed WoT based on fan feedback

3 posts in this topic

In the most recent Intentionally Blank episode, Brandon said that, from his access to Robert Jordan's notes, he's about 95% confident that Jordan changed the plot of The Wheel of Time based on feedback he received from fans.

Brandon's always been fairly tight-lipped about Robert Jordan's side of writing WoT.  Has he ever mentioned this before?  Because I was pretty surprised to hear it!  (Not surprised to learn it; it makes sense.  But I'm surprised to hear Brandon actually say it.)

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Mason Wheeler said:

In the most recent Intentionally Blank episode, Brandon said that, from his access to Robert Jordan's notes, he's about 95% confident that Jordan changed the plot of The Wheel of Time based on feedback he received from fans.

Brandon's always been fairly tight-lipped about Robert Jordan's side of writing WoT.  Has he ever mentioned this before?  Because I was pretty surprised to hear it!  (Not surprised to learn it; it makes sense.  But I'm surprised to hear Brandon actually say it.)

You may be referring to something else, but I remember there being a lot of rumors that Robert Jordan had planned on Mazrim Taim being Demandred. Allegedly he changed it because too many fans had guessed at it prior to a point where he thought he had given enough clues for people to make the connection.

Edited by The Sovereign

I wasn't referring to any specific change; only to Brandon saying that changes had happened.  Personally, I'm completely neutral on the Taimandred theory.  I can see that happening, but I could also see that rumor being a bunch of embarrassed Taimandred theorists who saw that they were wrong and said "well we weren't really wrong; we were just too clever for the author and he changed it out from under us."  Hard to say what really happened without any solid confirmation.