The death of the Author

Kolten

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

The death of the author is a framework of literary criticism where the author's purpose is to produce the text and not to explain it. To give undue weight to the author's biography, identity, or own interpretation of the text is to limit the ability to interpret the text. 

While not without its flaws, I feel like it is sometimes a useful framework for literary analysis and criticism, so I made this post to discuss it further. 

I am linking a different post which was the reason behind making this topic

Edited by Kolten
clarified some wording

Haha that is a funny coincidence. I am just watching this now actually, I can see that Brandon does consider his extra textual commentary to be part of his vision to the cosmere. It seems like they cover both its pros and its cons as a way to discuss a work. 

I would just say that in general it is easy to fall into a false dichotomy with this discussion. I would agree with what he said about from a scholar's point of view being able to view historical and biographical context is really interesting to the study of a work. But personal reading experience is oftentimes orthogonal to the authors intent. I think both ways of looking at a work can be enlightenting and create valid and interesting discussions.