A half-baked suspicion

SzethTheHonorblade

So in the first book, Kenton's father has the last explosive bit of power that kills a bunch of people. Nothing of the sort is mentioned in the history of the sand masters. the explanation is sorta that the poison made it happen, and if that is the case then why didn't all the sand masters have that reaction? I think it is far more likely that Autonomy leaving, or preparing to leave the system, had that effect on sand mastery. So if yall have any evidence for either side, I'm interested to hear it.

44 minutes ago, SzethTheHonorblade said:

I think it is far more likely that Autonomy leaving, or preparing to leave the system, had that effect on sand mastery. So if yall have any evidence for either side, I'm interested to hear it.

We know that Autonomy didn't leave the system (Au spoilers)

Spoiler

In Khriss' essay in Arcanum Unbounded, we learn that Autonomy has closed travel to or from Taldain sometime after the events of White Sand and Khriss left for Silverlight.

I always took it that, from the dias, Praxton could see what was happening to his Sand Masters, deduced what was happening and sacrificed all of the moisture in his body for one huge effect hoping to save his son (and possibly some of his people). 

5 hours ago, Treamayne said:

We know that Autonomy didn't leave the system (Au spoilers)

Hide contents

In Khriss' essay in Arcanum Unbounded, we learn that Autonomy has closed travel to or from Taldain sometime after the events of White Sand and Khriss left for Silverlight.

But we see in Stormlight that Autonomy is not on Taldain, she is on First of the Sun, and that she "created an avatar" and that she "instilled a great dislike" for Hoid. So... is she shut down travel to and from Taldain, could she be moving from planet to planet? I believe, and please fact-check, but I believe that at some point the sun on Taldain is called an avatar, something Autonomy does when she is leaving. 

Sorry forgot something, If autonomy set up the travel ban, she can probably bypass it.

Edited by SzethTheHonorblade
missed something

30 minutes ago, SzethTheHonorblade said:

But we see in Stormlight that Autonomy is not on Taldain, she is on First of the Sun, and that she "created an avatar" and that she "instilled a great dislike" for Hoid. So... is she shut down travel to and from Taldain, could she be moving from planet to planet? I believe, and please fact-check, but I believe that at some point the sun on Taldain is called an avatar, something Autonomy does when she is leaving. 

Sorry forgot something, If autonomy set up the travel ban, she can probably bypass it.

Patji may be an Avatar of Autonomy, but he is not Autonomy. Autonomy doesn't have to leave the Taldain system to create an Avatar in another system. In fact WoB says that it is difficult for a shard to leave a system they have Invested (hence no Odium investiture in Sel, despite Rayse going to that system to attack Devotion and Dominion - he never invested in the Selish system)

Spoiler

Questioner

When one of the shards, like Odium, move from world to world in the cosmere, does their presence, like the metals they leave behind and their magic, leave with them?

Brandon Sanderson

Odium never really settled on a planet.  He is now settled on Roshar and his magic has permeated things.  Leaving would be very difficult for him. It would either involve leaving behind some of his power or ripping that out, which would be a difficult process.  So yes it is very tough to leave.

Alex M

What's the difference between avatar and Splinter?

Brandon Sanderson

These are all very weird terms that I'm just using.

*mistakenly answering for Sliver* A Sliver is a person who has held the power of a Shard, and then let go of it. A briefly held time, holding the infinite power of a Shard, but no longer does. So what does that do? That changes your soul, and leaves markers on it. It's a real physiological thing.

An avatar is... a Shard manifesting a semi-autonomous piece of themselves that is still connected to who they are. An avatar, for instance, of Autonomy - depending on how Autonomy creates that avatar - might know, might not know, but they are still an aspect, they are still part of Autonomy. And when you get down to it a part of them knows that, and it's almost a god roleplaying, but in a way that only a Shard, or a lowercase-g god in the Cosmere, can do.

Brandon Sanderson

*realizes that he answered for Sliver earlier, and clarifies*

A Splinter is a piece of a Shard that is fully autonomous, where an avatar is not. So something that is Splintered does not consider itself - and would not be considered by the definitions  - an actual piece of it [the Shard], and has free will. So once it has free will, and/or could develop free will (because some of the Splinters haven't gotten there yet), but is fully cut off from the direct control and self-identity of the Shard, then it is called a Splinter.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAGAF