Mraize's Gift to Raboniel

Kered

I did a search on here and I couldn't find a topic about it, so apologies if this has already been discussed in depth.

I'm re-listening to RoW and in the chapter where Mraize gives Roboniel Lift, he first gives her a pouch. 

He stepped forward and respectfully handed her a large pouch. Raboniel took it, and it made a soft clink. Raboniel undid the top, and stared inside.

Its in one of the following epigraphs where Roboniel mentions obtaining the chain Kaladin saw while in Shadesmar in OB. The one to be used as a "anchor for cognitive anomalies". 

I'm not crazy, right? This is the gift Mraize gave to Roboniel? The only small thing that makes me doubt it is that Roboniel is stunned rhythmless. I don't know why the chain would do that, unless the she recognized the chain on site which would mean that the device had previous notoriety.    

I always thought that he gave her a bag of Lifelight infused gems. I never connected this with the epigraph where she mentioned the sand and chain. Though that chain might be useful to Thaidakar, so maybe he'd want that to stay in the Ghostbloods possession.

3 hours ago, Alpharho said:

I always thought that he gave her a bag of Lifelight infused gems. I never connected this with the epigraph where she mentioned the sand and chain. Though that chain might be useful to Thaidakar, so maybe he'd want that to stay in the Ghostbloods possession.

Good point on the Thaidakar thing. Though, it also might be a possibility that Thaidakar already tried to use it, then it didn’t work, then they give it as a gift. 

11 hours ago, Kered said:

I'm not crazy, right? This is the gift Mraize gave to Roboniel? The only small thing that makes me doubt it is that Roboniel is stunned rhythmless. I don't know why the chain would do that, unless the she recognized the chain on site which would mean that the device had previous notoriety.    

You are not crazy, it was confirmed by WoB:

Spoiler

mraize7

u/mistborn I know you were writing the sequel to [Sixth of the Dusk]. Any progress on Threnody's novel? 

Brandon Sanderson

Just some vague ideas here and there. Nothing too specific. Silver chain in Oathbringer is from Threnody, though. (They use them in Silverlight too.) I'll get a chance to explain what they are eventually. (I hope.)

5 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Hide contents

mraize7

u/mistborn I know you were writing the sequel to [Sixth of the Dusk]. Any progress on Threnody's novel? 

Brandon Sanderson

Just some vague ideas here and there. Nothing too specific. Silver chain in Oathbringer is from Threnody, though. (They use them in Silverlight too.) I'll get a chance to explain what they are eventually. (I hope.)

Thanks! When I searched arcanum, I searched for Roboniel and gift. Should have thought to do silver chain lol. 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, BinarySecond said:

Is Sixth of Dusk becoming required reading?!

Sixth of the Dusk? Do you perhaps mean Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell?

Spoiler

The former is the Story with Patji and the Aviar in the Dromonid system 

The latter is the story on Threnody

On 8/6/2022 at 8:34 AM, Treamayne said:

Hide contents

mraize7

Brandon Sanderson

I don't see how this confirms it? Raboniel is in RoW not Oathbringer.

1 hour ago, cometaryorbit said:

I don't see how this confirms it? Raboniel is in RoW not Oathbringer.

Wasn't it already confirmed that the chain Kaladin saw was the same as the chain Raboniel received? Coppermind

Spoiler

Threnodite Chains

Silvery chains that originate on Threnody[4] somehow allow a user to "anchor" themselves through a Cognitive anomaly.[5] The implications of anchoring are unknown, but the chains are incredibly rare and valuable on other planets.[6][7] They are used by the scholars of Silverlight.[4]

The chains are described as "silver" or "silvery", but their exact composition is unclear. Raboniel was immediately shocked at the sight of a Threnodite chain on Roshar[7] while Kaladin failed to notice anything unusual about a chain that he saw in Shadesmar,[6] implying that the chains have distinguishing characteristics that are not obvious to every observer.

RoW

Spoiler

Ch 60

“I have Urithiru,” she said. “What need have I of spheres?”

“Not that kind of riches,” the man said, with a smile. He stepped forward and respectfully handed her a large pouch. Raboniel took it, and it made a soft clink. Raboniel undid the top, and stared inside. She sat there for a long moment, and when she next spoke, her voice was devoid of rhythms. “How? Where did you get this?”

“I bring a gift,” was all the man said. “To encourage you to meet with my babsk to negotiate terms. I had thought to wait until the current … turmoil subsided, but my babsk is determined. We will have a deal for use of the Oathgates. And we will pay.”

“It is … a fine gift,” Raboniel finally said.

“That is not the gift,” he said. “That is a mere advance on our future payments. This is the gift.”

Ch 64

The sand originated offworld. It is only one of such amazing wonders that come from other lands—I have recently obtained a chain from the lands of the dead, said to be able to anchor a person through Cognitive anomalies. I fail to see what use it could be to me, as I am unable to leave the Rosharan system. But it is a priceless object nonetheless.

So, if Kaladin saw a chain from Threnody, and the object Raboniel received was the same as what Kaladin saw (if not the same object, then the same type of object), then Raboniel received a Threnodite Chain.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAGF

12 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Sixth of the Dusk? Do you perhaps mean Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell?

Reveal hidden contents

The former is the Story with Patji and the Aviar in the Dromonid system 

The latter is the story on Threnody

Ah I thought Sixth of Dusk was the Threnody book, you are correct.

16 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Wasn't it already confirmed that the chain Kaladin saw was the same as the chain Raboniel received? Coppermind

Hide contents

Threnodite Chains

Silvery chains that originate on Threnody[4] somehow allow a user to "anchor" themselves through a Cognitive anomaly.[5] The implications of anchoring are unknown, but the chains are incredibly rare and valuable on other planets.[6][7] They are used by the scholars of Silverlight.[4]

The chains are described as "silver" or "silvery", but their exact composition is unclear. Raboniel was immediately shocked at the sight of a Threnodite chain on Roshar[7] while Kaladin failed to notice anything unusual about a chain that he saw in Shadesmar,[6] implying that the chains have distinguishing characteristics that are not obvious to every observer.

RoW

Hide contents

Ch 60

Ch 64

So, if Kaladin saw a chain from Threnody, and the object Raboniel received was the same as what Kaladin saw (if not the same object, then the same type of object), then Raboniel received a Threnodite Chain.

Oh ok. I didn't realize it was quite that clear that the one Kaladin saw in OB was definitely the same as Raboniel's.

Hm, if the Threnodite chain from Shadesmar is what Raboniel received from Mraize, and she was stunned "rhythmless" upon seeing it, ...

...she must have recognized it and its special Threnodite properties, which in turn must be derived from more than just being made of silver, as that metal is not uncommon.

No, not even on Roshar. Moash's grandparents, and Roshone, were "silversmiths" in Kholinar, right? And neither were particularly high ranking or wealthy, or cosmere-aware that the metal had high value offworld or something.