Ookla the Untitled

Warbreaker as a movie

13 posts in this topic

With all the talk about movie adaptations, I started wondering about what a Warbreaker movie would look like. I then came to the realization that Warbreaker is already pretty much a Disney movie. I mean, think about it. We've got:

Two princesses, one of which wants to shirk her responsibility as a ruler but is forced into a role she doesn't want (bonus: she falls in love with someone previously considered a monster who turns out to be really nice) and the other of which is extremely naïve and has to learn hard lessons about real life.

A wisecracking, lighthearted protagonist with a heart of gold.

A gruff, cranky old guy with a heart of gold who takes on the role of a mentor figure/companion to one of the main characters.

A classic Disney movie betrayal, complete with classic Disney 'I'm evil because reasons' villain and a lovable yet evil sidekick.

A visual style that's perfect for songs, including a visually appealing magic system.

And of course, a parent who kinda sucks.

So yeah, Warbreaker's a Disney movie. Not saying it should be adapted as one, (although that might be pretty cool) but it has a lot of the key elements that make up the classic Disney movie, and no one can convince me that Siri isn't the perfect Disney princess.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that, among Cosmere books, Warbreaker has the most striking visuals that would easily adapt to the screen. I see the parallels to Disney princess movies. But I wouldn't want Disney to do it, at least under the Disney banner. Warbreaker has a lot of pretty dark elements and I think an adaptation that removes them would be worse for it. But a different studio, or a one-season HBO show? Sign me up.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this idea. I especially want some of the Chris's to be the gods in the game of tarachin with Lightsong. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I honestly don’t think Warbreaker would be a good non-animated movie, because... well, because. It’d be great to have it animated because you could really show the hair changing color, Breath, Wit’s storytelling, etc, etc. 

Edited by SymphonianBookworm
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2022 at 11:03 AM, SymphonianBookworm said:

I honestly don’t think Warbreaker would be a good non-animated movie, because... well, because. It’d be great to have it animated because you could really show the hair changing color, Breath, Wit’s storytelling, etc, etc. 

You don't think that modern CGI would be up to showing those sorts of things?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Returned said:

You don't think that modern CGI would be up to showing those sorts of things?

It’s definitely possible, but instead of doing a half-animated mix with real people, honestly I’d just want a fully animated and detailed movie. It would be pretty hard to get everything right with a mix of animation and humans. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Returned said:

You don't think that modern CGI would be up to showing those sorts of things?

I agree with Symph. I think that though modern CGI on humans might work, full animated CGI could fully flesh out the color and make things so much more grand. It also might make a cheesy live action film. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone once suggested that Warbreaker is a Bollywood movie.  That does sound intriguing to me

On 8/11/2022 at 8:00 AM, DougTheRug said:

I love this idea. I especially want some of the Chris's to be the gods in the game of tarachin with Lightsong. 

Just to make sure I understand (I'm terrible at context) You mean Evans, Pine, etc., correct?  Because that sounds hilarious and I love it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spren of Kindness That is absolutely what I mean. I want Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, Chris Pine, and Chris Hemsworth to do that scene. It would be fantastic from a Doylist and Watsonian perspective. I'd probably cast Chris Hemsworth as Lightsong because I think he would kill at that role. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

I agree with Symph. I think that though modern CGI on humans might work, full animated CGI could fully flesh out the color and make things so much more grand. It also might make a cheesy live action film. 

With the vibrant colors detail, you've convinced me. It would be vastly easier to get that detail right and really make it come to life with animation than with anything live-action related. So I'm pro-animation for Warbreaker (and Mistborn too, but that's a different thread).

However, I'll push back on the argument that it "might make a cheesy live action film". Any movie can be terrible, animated or not. We at least live in a time where we've seen a good crop of high-quality action movies (as opposed to, say, movies in the 80s and 90s).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Returned said:

However, I'll push back on the argument that it "might make a cheesy live action film". Any movie can be terrible, animated or not. We at least live in a time where we've seen a good crop of high-quality action movies (as opposed to, say, movies in the 80s and 90s).

I mean cheesy specifically in terms of special effects. The way the hair might change color in a tacky way or awakened dolls might move awkwardly and seem out of place. I mean, it's still doable, but not as easily and as naturally as it could be done in an animated form.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Animated might not be bad, but I think it would really depend on the type of animation and portrayal style. Anything in the Simpsons/King of the Hill/Futurama/etc. styles would be beyond horrible (to me). Also, I think most Computer Animated movies are just too cartoonish (even things like Beowulf just seem "wrong"). Maybe something more like old school Crying Freeman/Ninja Scroll or I don't know a good modern example (Witcher 3?).

6 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

I mean, it's still doable, but not as easily and as naturally as it could be done in an animated form.

South Park shows that being animated has no bearing on if color and movement is tacky or not.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2022 at 9:47 PM, Treamayne said:

Animated might not be bad, but I think it would really depend on the type of animation and portrayal style. Anything in the Simpsons/King of the Hill/Futurama/etc. styles would be beyond horrible (to me). Also, I think most Computer Animated movies are just too cartoonish (even things like Beowulf just seem "wrong"). Maybe something more like old school Crying Freeman/Ninja Scroll or I don't know a good modern example (Witcher 3?).

South Park shows that being animated has no bearing on if color and movement is tacky or not.

Honestly I’m thinking Disney style animation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.