Long Game 88: Blood and Bloody Ashes!

I don't think there's that much to talk about distro wise. Everyone seems fine calling it three elims and I think that's fine based on TUNs previous games and a history of larger elim teams over smaller ones

That also means that at least one person who has checked in is an Elim

2 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

The faction kill is a physical action, according to TUN in the game approval PM.

Any thoughts on this, guys?

--

Vil: Araris, Xino

Araris/luck never e/e

Mat feels like he has tmi on luck being v.

Conquests slight e lean for adding on that I haven't posted anything since then, as someone who hasn't posted. This is the only situation where I'm going to say it was a point in your favor rn that you walked that back,  but we'll see. 

Edited by Illwei

Araris it was the elaborating on where you got the info part of it.

Also forgot to add, Wizard shading the double life role happened in a very awkward way imo and implies that if Wizard is an elim that they don't have one (which I would assume anyways, going with 3 elims)

1 hour ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Blademaster can fake village if "killed"

It's the only one that doesn't make sense to me in their explaination.

1 hour ago, Conquestor said:

I agree that your vote on Wizard does need some answers, Illwei.

I think it was Wizard essentially just stating the obvious and kinda exaggerating it a little bit, EDIT: In regards to distro, I mean. and while that’d be something to vote for on other sites I think it’s just an SE thing :P. Which is fine. Could be wrong about that reasoning but idk that’s what I thought.

Araris’ vote struck me as opportunistic, I was waiting to see if anyone else would vote there but I won’t be around for a few hours and wanted to get a post down.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Araris’ vote struck me as opportunistic, I was waiting to see if anyone else would vote there but I won’t be around for a few hours and wanted to get a post down.

I wouldn't call Araris' vote opportunistic, and I actually think it was villagery of him to even vote Wizard when I hadn't stated my reasoning. 

EDIT: implying that since there was no reasoning and he wasn't stating his own, there's not much to be opportunistic about there, especially because it's so soon I'm the cycle. It's more likely for someone to jump on araris for a bad follow than jump on me for no reasoning, so it's a risky move to make as an elim.

EDIT: I think I'm moving Matrim to my village leans for now.

I have a problem with this but it's a silly problem.
When matrim is village he doesn't trust me really, so finding reasons to vote me are usually very there. Here though, his immediate take is a "I can understand why your thoughts are valid, but i disagree," which to me makes it sound like he knows I'm village. An immediate disagreement would normally translate to a elim lean on me.

Anyways I guess the summary is that Matrim seems like he has TMI on a few slots- Luck, me, Wizard at the very least. (if Mat is an Elim then Wizard can also be a teammate, even though I'm not sure where I'm leaning on Wizard right now.)

Sart @The Unknown Novel

Edited by Illwei

Hello. I'm off work now, so let's get to it. I'd like to propose a different kill candidate. Conquestor. Your post just felt like a regurgitation of what had already been discussed in thread, in an attempt to blend in. I'm leaning village towards Wizard at this point. Araris is well known for his stab votes (putting a second vote on a poke vote), so that's not an alignment indicator.

Despite my vote on Sart, I am okay with his vote on conq, even though i don't quite think the reasoning is there (red flag) I have my own problems with conq's content (or lack of) so it's fine for now.

@Conquestor in between my first two posts was when i was sleeping. could definitely use that argument about you not saying much back on you, with your one post, but I'm not because it hasn't even been 24 hours.

Anyways off to work now, don't know how busy it's going to be so may be around or may be back at about 4-6am Eastern Time.

@Vorros you here?

Wow, I don't know why my first votes seem to draw so much attention to me, like seriously, this is almost as bad as my last game. 

@Araris Valerian I Voted on Illwei instead of you because his first vote had almost no explanation to it, while yours at least had some. 

@IllweiI am at work and communicating on my breaks. Hence why my posts are also shorter than normal. I'm grateful for all the explanations about why you may not have been as communicative. I would like to hear from you about why you voted on Wizard in the first place. It just seems like you are trying to avoid an explanation. 

@SartWow, voting on someone who some people are slightly eliming about immediately after getting voted on. This seems like an attempt to distract from yourself. Also, maybe some of what I said was regurgitation, but I haven't had the time to really put a post out there, give me about 2 hours when I'm off work and I'll post a me post. 

13 minutes ago, Conquestor said:

@IllweiI am at work and communicating on my breaks. Hence why my posts are also shorter than normal. I'm grateful for all the explanations about why you may not have been as communicative. I would like to hear from you about why you voted on Wizard in the first place. It just seems like you are trying to avoid an explanation

Not been as communicative? 

I had one explanation, which was needless filler to try and get you to say anything.  My other posts are not explanations, but me playing the game. 

I'm annoyed over your approach to me, I suppose because you don't feel like you're trying to solve me. You also don't feel like you're trying to antagonize me either, though. 

4 hours ago, Conquestor said:

I think more thoughts about the weaves themselves would be helpful. The weaves really add a big variety and randomness to the game. There is always a chance that they happen or a chance that they don't. The weaves can even interrupt each other which adds more to the randomness. Another question is, how worth it is it to link? First of all, you have to share info about your weaving attributes and then try and convince someone to do some certain weaves. Anyways, I think this will be an interesting game... 

Most weaves aren't terribly difficult stat-wise so it's likely any two people will be able to do most of them. Lightning's the one that would need discussion. Decreasing the complexity is a pretty big jump, but two people separately submitting 2 and 3 complexity weaves are about as likely to get 1+ success than if they linked. Lightning benefits the most in this regard. Linking can help accountability, submitting a link order for a weave you can't do ensures that the other person has to submit a link order, which can identify someone lying about being an Aes Sedai or inconvenience an elim who really needs one of their other weaves to succeed.

3 hours ago, Illwei said:

Any thoughts on this, guys?

Vil: Araris, Xino

Araris/luck never e/e

Mat feels like he has tmi on luck being v.

Conquests slight e lean for adding on that I haven't posted anything since then, as someone who hasn't posted. This is the only situation where I'm going to say it was a point in your favor rn that you walked that back,  but we'll see. 

I can confirm that TUN mentioned the elim kill is a physical action in the approval PM months ago, which I should have reread beforehand since it also mentioned how contradictory linking worked .

Why are Araris/Luck never e/e besides reading Araris as village?

4 hours ago, Illwei said:

I wouldn't call Araris' vote opportunistic, and I actually think it was villagery of him to even vote Wizard when I hadn't stated my reasoning. 

EDIT: implying that since there was no reasoning and he wasn't stating his own, there's not much to be opportunistic about there, especially because it's so soon I'm the cycle. It's more likely for someone to jump on araris for a bad follow than jump on me for no reasoning, so it's a risky move to make as an elim.

EDIT: I think I'm moving Matrim to my village leans for now.

I have a problem with this but it's a silly problem.
When matrim is village he doesn't trust me really, so finding reasons to vote me are usually very there. Here though, his immediate take is a "I can understand why your thoughts are valid, but i disagree," which to me makes it sound like he knows I'm village. An immediate disagreement would normally translate to a elim lean on me.

Anyways I guess the summary is that Matrim seems like he has TMI on a few slots- Luck, me, Wizard at the very least. (if Mat is an Elim then Wizard can also be a teammate, even though I'm not sure where I'm leaning on Wizard right now.)

Sart @The Unknown Novel

[About Araris] Eh, I guess. The fact that it was so early in the turn is a fair point, and that's kinda why I was waiting for a potential third, but yeah. Not worth voting him for it.

[About me] Can I make a single read without you calling it TMI? :P Saying that I don't trust you as village is a generalization that is mostly true, but like don't make reads based on something I normally do if I haven't done it yet.

2 hours ago, Sart said:

Hello. I'm off work now, so let's get to it. I'd like to propose a different kill candidate. Conquestor. Your post just felt like a regurgitation of what had already been discussed in thread, in an attempt to blend in. I'm leaning village towards Wizard at this point. Araris is well known for his stab votes (putting a second vote on a poke vote), so that's not an alignment indicator.

I disagree that it's NAI, I don't think he should be able to get away with any vote just like that. I think the fact that he voted at all is NAI, but I reserve the right to elim read his choice if I so choose, I think.

I like that you village lean Wizard, I think.

9 hours ago, Illwei said:

The Wandering Wizard

I don't think this needs an explaination

I'd like one anyway.

5 hours ago, Illwei said:

Araris/luck never e/e

Based on our nonexistent interactions?

I appreciate that you're producing a lot of content, but I'm not following most of it. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it doesn't quite make sense and you're just spewing. :ph34r:

Oh yeah, also this:

He's guessing and analyzing. Doesn't mean he's right, doesn't mean he knows for sure. 

Illwei. If not, maybe Conq; they're arguing enough that someone probably was being suspicious, regardless of my inability to see the suspicious things that were done. 

Edited by Luckspren
Hey, eleventy-first post!

Yeah, computer!!! Hmmm, anyways.

@The Unknown Novel What does it mean in the rules about the Forsaken's vote not counting? What I mean is, does the vote show up in all the counts but isn't counted by you or is it that the vote total is minimized by one?

For instance: Person 1 and person 2 vote on person 3 and person 3 and person 4 vote on person 5. Person 1 is the Forsaken and so there vote doesn't count. The next cycle this is what you post:

Person 3 (1): Person 1 and Person 2

Person 5 (2): Person 3 and Person 4

or

Person 3 (2): Person 1 and Person 2

I hope that makes sense...

Oh, along that same vein. How would someone using the weave of compulsion show up in the vote count the next cycle? Would the person whose vote changed have their name move, or would that not show up at all?

Now the reason I bring this up is because the Forsaken really isn't going to want to vote on tied votes and will most likely vote in bandwagons or as a stand alone, since that vote won't matter anyways. To help make up for this, there are weaves with vote manipulation and the Amyrlin Seat. That helps make up for it slightly, but not enough that the Forsaken is going to be careless about how they vote. 

Another thing to think about is going to be the Warder and Aes Sedai interaction. Just because two people are backing each other up in thread doesn't mean that they are an elim team, it could mean that they are bonded and so the warder doesn't want the Aes Sedai they are bonded to, to die. I mean, a 50% chance of death is not chance that I would take. That also makes me think that there wouldn't be a Warder Elim as with out there being 3-4 elims, because the chance for the warder elim to die is significantly higher.

Another interesting thing is that there is a decent chance that the elim kill gets roll blocked. It is a physical action and there are 3 ways to block those. (Blademaster, Harden Air, and Earthquake). That means that the elims are going to have to be very careful about who sends in the elim kill. Things get crazier because Harden Air is a 1 complexity weave and the Blademaster can roleblock every turn. Oh yeah, plus there is the Heal weave! That's all without getting into the fact that there is the Trace weave that can see what physical actions a player can take.

There's more I want to add, but I have to get going. I'll be back around midnight, so yeah. We'll see about what craziness I have to add then.

25 minutes ago, Conquestor said:

Yeah, computer!!! Hmmm, anyways.

@The Unknown Novel What does it mean in the rules about the Forsaken's vote not counting? What I mean is, does the vote show up in all the counts but isn't counted by you or is it that the vote total is minimized by one?

For instance: Person 1 and person 2 vote on person 3 and person 3 and person 4 vote on person 5. Person 1 is the Forsaken and so there vote doesn't count. The next cycle this is what you post:

Person 3 (1): Person 1 and Person 2

or

Person 3 (2): Person 1 and Person 2

I hope that makes sense...

Oh, along that same vein. How would someone using the weave of compulsion show up in the vote count the next cycle? Would the person whose vote changed have their name move, or would that not show up at all?

The Forsaken appears as if in a traditional Tyrian, so the first option.

Thematically it should probably be the name and vote moving, but it would appear similarly to a Rioter (minus the original player's vote disappearing).

Well, the amount of responses since my post are incredibly underwhelming. Thanks TUN for the answers though! That's all very handy to know.

I now want to get into some roles that haven't been discussed yet, specifically the two rivers ones. The Shepherd is nice because they can survive one attack, meaning that there is another chance for the elim kill to fail. They can also do a weave once. Now, looking at it from their perspective, they would use it on one of three weaves. Lightning, for obvious reasons, circle of silence (I think this because maybe they are more information focused and don't quite want to kill anyone), or perhaps compulsion (this one to possibly save someone they think is vil and to try and kill and elim).

The next one is the Blacksmith and boy aren't they interesting... Being able to discover someone's alignment! Now, the problem is that they are limited to two scans, and they would preferably be either elims or a vil that isn't dying anytime soon. The really important thing is going to be keeping them alive, if this role is in the game.

The Horse Trader... an extra kill, but only once and death if they are healed twice by two different Aes Sedai on the same turn. The extra kill could be nice, but honestly, I don't think that this role is as village helpful as the other two. If the person with this role managed to kill an elim by random luck, then that would be amazing! 

Also, I just realized that the Blademaster also has an extra life, so the odds of the elims being able to kill someone are pretty low, especially if Aes Sedai are healing people. This is true, at least for the first couple of cycles. The only surefire way to kill someone is to lynch them. This means that the elims are going to have to lean heavily into thread control. 

Speaking of weaves, I believe that there are two groups: Info, Blocking.

The Info ones include Trace, Delve, Voice of Power, Renew, Light, Lightning, and Circle of Silence. This is because they deal almost directly with gathering or giving info. Now that's only half of the list, so this means that the other half have to do with some form of roleblocking or another.

The Blocking weaves make either other weaves useless or stop physical actions. With compulsion, even the votes could essentially be blocked! Now, this is both incredibly good and incredibly bad. The good thing is that it could be really hard for the elims to get anything to happen with their own actions, but what I fear is that the village will become its own worst enemy. The vil might lean too heavily on the powerful roles we've been given and start slacking in other areas. Plus, with the amount of roleblocking, the village is more likely to roleblock each other than we are to roleblock the elims. I shield you! Oh wait! You were trying to heal a vil that ends up getting killed, well oops I guess. My point here is to not just fire off stuff willy nilly. We still need that thread control! (Sorry I haven't been the most helpful there so far.)

I think it’s a bit of a distraction to talk about the roles a whole lot now, given that we have a 48 hour night cycle to strategize all we want. Since people have finite time and willingness to post, we should focus on voting now and leave the other stuff for when there isn’t as much else to say.

Your point about thread control is relevant though. Do you think that players like Illwei, Mat, and myself are more suspicious because we’ve had relatively more influence on the thread, given that your analysis suggests the elims would be forced into that?

I'm getting tired, probably going to head to sleep soon. No one is here anyways, so. Doesn't matter.

8 hours ago, Conquestor said:

. I mean, a 50% chance of death is not chance that I would take.

While that is bad if you're both village, a 1:1 village:elim trade is always worth it from the village side.

3 hours ago, Conquestor said:

We still need that thread control! (Sorry I haven't been the most helpful there so far.)

I'm gonna repeat what people are sick of but also regardless of if you are a villager who is active in thread it doesn't always mean that village is more likely to have control over the thread, remember that you need to be actively seeking out to other villagers so you can work with them and hopefully get them to find you

9 hours ago, Luckspren said:

He's guessing and analyzing. Doesn't mean he's right, doesn't mean he knows for sure. 

so sure that Mat is village?

Which leads me to:
Luckspren

Illwei. If not, maybe Conq; they're arguing enough that someone probably was being suspicious, regardless of my inability to see the suspicious things that were done. 

I'll start here, where- Well, it's hard with new players (you're new, right? because you don't sound it) because no one, including them ofc, knows how they play yet.

-1 point for saying we should kill two people who i believe to be village currently. Especially for the reasoning that they have given- Conq and I have not been arguing, nor had conq had more than 2 posts (does not meet criteria for "arguing enough" as that implies high thread presence).

Based on our nonexistent interactions?

I appreciate that you're producing a lot of content, but I'm not following most of it. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it doesn't quite make sense and you're just spewing

There were interactions, specifically where Araris quoted you:

Spoiler
16 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:
18 hours ago, Luckspren said:

You're asking so that if someone was scanned starting a PM, we know they didn't send in the elim kill- or you're an elim and you want to know? :ph34r:

This is a bit more relevant because weaves can physically block players, and killing via weave requires a fair bit of luck, even if linking is used to reduce the difficulty. The faction kill is a physical action, according to TUN in the game approval PM.

the specific "in the game approval PM" which was obviously to clarify that he didn't learn this from the Elim doc, is directed at Luck. If he was an Elim with Luck I don't think he would approach her in this way

Anyways, that specifically is a bizzare kind of statement because it's defensive, and someone shouldn't be defensive about stated not e/e interactions unless they're 1) true, and 2) the Elim is nervous about narrowing down the partner possibilities when they die (whether this be a subconscious thought or not.)

Then the added shade and then walkback in the next sentence isn't good.

One thing in Luck's favor is their interactions with Xino:

Spoiler
18 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Also, how is the percentage of success calculated when linking?

Highest stats anyone has for each element are used, complexity goes down 1 point, and I think subtract for additional actions from any of the linked players

and

18 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Question: Does the elim kill count as a physical action?

You're asking so that if someone was scanned starting a PM, we know they didn't send in the elim kill- or you're an elim and you want to know? :ph34r:

the first quote is something that I would normally called unpartnered, especially for a new player. it's needless, especially if no one else is there. It was 12 minutes after Xino asked the question. 

The second Quote however is something I'd call partnered if Luck is an Elim. Because it's a kind of joke I wouldn't see a new Elim being able to make with a villager.
I think this point is smaller though, and if Luck were to flip Elim I'd probably clear Xino, and only use this as a defense for her before she dies.

Village
Mat, Araris

Conditionals
Xino, Shining

Elim
Luck

Happy late birthday
Vorros

Conq, Devo, Sart, Vorros contains 1-2 wolves

Edited by Illwei

Votes:

Wizard (1): Araris
Illwei (2): Conquestor, Luckspren
Luckspren (1): Illwei
Conquestor (2): Sart, Xino

Good Bucket

Spoiler

Illwei

Luckspren

Matrim

Araris

Bad Bucket

Spoiler

Conquestor

Wizard

Shining

Devo

Sart

Vorros*

Conquestor

Something about their rules analysis posts feels off to me, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's almost always better probability-wise to put in several.

From what I can see, there are not a whole lot of physical actions- the elim kill seems to be the primary one.

Luckspren

I'll start here, where- Well, it's hard with new players (you're new, right? because you don't sound it) because no one, including them ofc, knows how they play yet.

-1 point for saying we should kill two people who i believe to be village currently. Especially for the reasoning that they have given- Conq and I have not been arguing, nor had conq had more than 2 posts (does not meet criteria for "arguing enough" as that implies high thread presence).

the specific "in the game approval PM" which was obviously to clarify that he didn't learn this from the Elim doc, is directed at Luck. If he was an Elim with Luck I don't think he would approach her in this way

Anyways, that specifically is a bizzare kind of statement because it's defensive, and someone shouldn't be defensive about stated not e/e interactions unless they're 1) true, and 2) the Elim is nervous about narrowing down the partner possibilities when they die (whether this be a subconscious thought or not.)

the first quote is something that I would normally called unpartnered, especially for a new player. it's needless, especially if no one else is there. It was 12 minutes after Xino asked the question. 

The second Quote however is something I'd call partnered if Luck is an Elim. Because it's a kind of joke I wouldn't see a new Elim being able to make with a villager.
I think this point is smaller though, and if Luck were to flip Elim I'd probably clear Xino, and only use this as a defense for her before she dies.

Village
Mat, Araris

Conditionals
Xino, Shining

Elim
Luck

Happy late birthday
Vorros

Yeah, I'm kinda new (4th game).

I'm trying to kill 2 people you believe to be village, you say? Yourself, obviously, and Conq, who you don't list as village?

Conq and you have not been arguing? You voted Wandering Wizard, Conq wanted an explanation, you 'e lean' him, you say 'could definitely use that argument about you not saying much back on you, with your one post', Conq thanks you for explanations but says it looks like you're trying to avoid explaining, says you're not communicating much, you say you talk more than he does (I think that's what you were saying), you say you're annoyed at him.

At that point I say you've been arguing, and I'll stick to that. Sure, he didn't post a lot, but this looks like an argument to me. 

Me overly defensive about not e/e Araris: I can see how that came across as defensive, but it wasn't. It was me not seeing your logic at all, so I asked. I do see the logic now, so... thanks I guess (I say as you declare me an elim... whatever)

You talk about my 'added shade and walkback'. What specifically are you referring to?

You say my interactions with Xino are a point in my favor, and you say they look like we're 1) unpartnered and 2) partnered and 3) unpartnered. ?

Yet another clarification: You have Shining as 'conditional'. What conditions do you mean?

@Illwei

6 hours ago, Illwei said:

I'm getting tired, probably going to head to sleep soon. No one is here anyways, so. Doesn't matter.

While that is bad if you're both village, a 1:1 village:elim trade is always worth it from the village side.

I'm gonna repeat what people are sick of but also regardless of if you are a villager who is active in thread it doesn't always mean that village is more likely to have control over the thread, remember that you need to be actively seeking out to other villagers so you can work with them and hopefully get them to find you

so sure that Mat is village?

Which leads me to:
Luckspren

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

and

Village
Mat, Araris

Conditionals
Xino, Shining

Elim
Luck

Happy late birthday
Vorros

Aww thanks! But I’m no darkfriend. It’s gonna take me a bit to get into the swing of things because the style here is quite different than from MU. I should also reread the rules so that the early musings on the number of miselims and whatnot make sense. 

@Illwei you’re missing someone on your list. And I’m assuming conditional is equivalent to null?

Also why are you calling out Luck for being confident on a town!Mat read when you yourself have him down as village and are going so far as to be voting Luck for wanting to elim your two town reads. Clearly Luck doesn’t want to kill Mat if he thinks he’s town, so I really don’t like that you are pushing him for incorrect reasons atp. 

Illwei Votes are just bold red text, no?

Edited by Vorros

On 8/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, Matrim's Dice said:

So, distro thoughts. Which I don’t have since I only skimmed the rules, but does anyone else? :P. I really don’t understand weaves like at all and I don’t know how crucial it is to understand weaves in general, whether you’re Aes Sedai or not, but I guess we’ll find out.

11 people, so probably 3 elims?

I think this probably makes sense. 7-3 split does seem pretty steep, but it is rope madness and if we can find each other as town then we should be able to link up and create an untouchable town core. But since there are limited roles that can’t channel (like the warders I assume) maybe we are looking at 2. 

22 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

So links with contradictory actions are randomly decided instead of individual? An elim Aes Sedai can link with a village Aes Sedai to shield someone but choose to use lightning instead with a 1/2 chance of shield, 1/2 chance of lightning?

What’s the difference between a village aes Sedai and an elim aes Sedai? Oh is that the term for the baddies?

Im sorry I screwed up the formatting. Are the tags just like basic bbcode? Or are they different?

Edited by Vorros

1 hour ago, Vorros said:

Aww thanks! But I’m no darkfriend. It’s gonna take me a bit to get into the swing of things because the style here is quite different than from MU. I should also reread the rules so that the early musings on the number of miselims and whatnot make sense. 

@Illwei you’re missing someone on your list. And I’m assuming conditional is equivalent to null?

Also why are you calling out Luck for being confident on a town!Mat read when you yourself have him down as village and are going so far as to be voting Luck for wanting to elim your two town reads. Clearly Luck doesn’t want to kill Mat if he thinks he’s town, so I really don’t like that you are pushing him for incorrect reasons atp. 

Illwei Votes are just bold red text, no?

Yes, and green to unvote. I don’t require bold, although it is appreciated.