Long Game 88: Blood and Bloody Ashes!

LG88 Cycle One: Traps and Murder

Siertasha weaved a knife into her hand and hid it in her sleeve. She reached towards the door, then paused. Natith was notoriously paranoid. She pulled her hand back then sent a weave forward and probed the door. There, a trap. She started to dismantle it, but the moment she touched the trap with her weave, it exploded into a ball of fire. It was all Siertasha could do to raise a shield around herself. She tried to stand, but collapsed. A woman came out of the room and looked around. Her eyes fell on Siertasha. She smirked and Siertasha panicked as a Shield wrapped her. She started trying to run, but was too weak. Natith walked towards Siertasha. A black blade pierced her back. Natiths eyes bulged. The blade withdrew. She collapsed and the Myrdraal walked towards Siertasha. "What, what are you doing?"

"No-one can know." The Myrdraal's sword flashed and stabbed Siertasha. When people arrived to investigate the disturbance, there were two bodies and the Myrdraal was nowhere to be found.

(%)

Natith was killed! She was an Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah and an NPC.

Siertasha has died! She was an Aes Sedai of the Black Ajah and an NPC.

Things to Note:

• The player with the most votes must have at least two to get exed.

• PMs are an action! Do not send any, I will be sending them for you.

• This cycle will end on August 13th.

• Have fun!

Rules doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mrx-Nslg3G5WpPPOtz83V79PSAK-znQF5_LzUtTOHiA/edit?usp=drivesdk

Player List:

If you have not yet received your GMPM, please PM me and I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Edited by The Unknown Novel

• Elandera unpinned and locked this topic

So, distro thoughts. Which I don’t have since I only skimmed the rules, but does anyone else? :P. I really don’t understand weaves like at all and I don’t know how crucial it is to understand weaves in general, whether you’re Aes Sedai or not, but I guess we’ll find out.

11 people, so probably 3 elims?

3 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

So then assuming that there are three elims. It is likely that one is a forsaken, one is a Myrdraal and one is just a black sister. 

I think an e!Warder is possible too, dynamics like that are always fun. Though it could just be that the Black Sister us bonded to a Warder, and that’s fulfill the dynamic as well. Or the dynamic could be absent altogether.

5 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Question: Does the elim kill count as a physical action?

You're asking so that if someone was scanned starting a PM, we know they didn't send in the elim kill- or you're an elim and you want to know? :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Also, how is the percentage of success calculated when linking?

Highest stats anyone has for each element are used, complexity goes down 1 point, and I think subtract for additional actions from any of the linked players

2 minutes ago, Illwei said:

The Wandering Wizard

I don't think this needs an explaination

I think it does. 

14 minutes ago, Illwei said:

The Wandering Wizard

I don't think this needs an explaination

I think I would have asked for one before ever playing on MU but nah I get it :P.

I like Luckspren's comment on xino's post, that reads village to me.

55 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Question: Does the elim kill count as a physical action?

Also, how is the percentage of success calculated when linking?

It is -1 complexity, so a complexity of 3 with 40% of success becomes 2 with 60%. Otherwise it is normal. 

16 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

How does linking work (i.e. how is it initiated)?

You simply say so in your GMPM, the "Linking" section has an example. 

2 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

11 people, so probably 3 elims?

3 elims is a lot for 11 people, but there's enough potential for village powerful/safe roles and extra lives that it's plausible. Something like Forsaken + Blademaster is also possible with fewer such roles.

52 minutes ago, Luckspren said:

You're asking so that if someone was scanned starting a PM, we know they didn't send in the elim kill- or you're an elim and you want to know? 

You can take two physical actions if a weave isn't submitted so it would need to be two PMs if the kill counts as one. That would still be unreliable since raise fog, mirror of mists, and fold light mess with scans while renew gives someone another physical action.

25 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

How does linking work (i.e. how is it initiated)?

When you send in your weave order to your GM PM, you state who your linking with. If those players also submit orders to link with each other and you, it works. Otherwise, it's probably just individual. Since every weave has a failure chance, it seems pretty easy for an elim to say they'll link and then do something else unless it's an information weave. @The Unknown Novel, if multiple people link to use say delve, who learns what physical actions were used?

Spoiler

“Tar Valon. Never thought I’d see it.”

“You wanted to, didn’t you my spark?”  Most of the voices Diesis converses with are indistinct, as she imagines herself speaking to an amalgamation of her villages’ inhabitants. This voice, however is purely Arina’s and Diesis addresses her directly.

“You were the one who wanted me to attend the White Tower. I never dreamed of that.”

She imagines Arina laughing. She can’t quite remember it any longer, was never able to make her inner voice replicate the sound. “You can’t lie to me, my spark. I know you wished you could have been a novice, been Accepted as an Aes Sedai, had me as your Warder.”

“I don’t need the White Tower and I don’t need you. Corinne is more than I could have ever asked for.”

Arina’s response is cut off when Corinne speaks up. “I never thought I’d be back, but the Amyrlin Seat summoned me personally.”

“The same Amyrlin Seat who exiled you?” Diesis derides.

Corinne frowns. “I was not exiled. My mission to find and train saidin channelers in saidar was given Tower support and resources.”

“Off the record. How many Red Ajah would slaughter you on sight?”

“Even if they caught me, they would take me to the Tower for trial.”

Diesis laughs cruelly. “And here I thought Aes Sedai couldn’t lie. They’d sever you immediately and claim gentling was their only option as they feared for their lives. All your protestations would be dismissed as the delusions of a false Sister. Siuan would never challenge the entire Ajah for your sake.”

Corinne’s typically calm voice holds a hint of fury now. “Where have you heard such things about how the Tower does business? Red Ajah make up only 1/5 of the Tower’s membership and 1/7 of its leadership. They cannot act with impunity.”

Diesis tries to speak but no words come out. Arina’s laughter echoes in her head. Corinne sighs. “Nevertheless, we should avoid unwelcome attention. Do you remember the Mirror of Mists and Disguise weaves I showed you?”

“Oh I always have Mirror of Mists up, can’t you tell? And it does such lovely things for my voice as well. I can’t wait until your spouse invents the physical version of this weave.”

Corinne puts a hand to her forehead. “Mirror of Mists is an illusion, using fire and air threads to manipulate light and alter sound waves. There is no physical component, no actual manipulation of matter.”

“Throw in some other threads then. Earth or water to cause a physical change, spirit to alter the body on an underlying level.”

“In the 3,000 years since the Age of Legends ended, the White Tower’s finest scholars have been unable to rediscover even some weaves we know existed. Creating a brand new weave, or even a modification of one, in what amounts to a separate language simply by adding additional threads and hoping for the best is nothing short of impossible. By design, sensu has a mosaic structure, with each weave and its modifications existing as a discrete block separate from all other weaves using this conduit to the One Power. This allows a channeler to learn individual weaves without having to learn the underlying principles and fundamentals as they would for saidin and saidar, which are structured as tapestries with each weaves forming a small part of a larger pattern. Saidin is designed to be used individually. It’s easier and quicker to draw on instinctively and in high-pressure scenarios, especially combat. Its weaves allow a channeler to draw on more of the One Power than they would normally be able to without burning out. Saidar is designed for collective use. While it shares its weaves with saidin, individual efficiency is sacrificed for the ability to initiate linked weaves with other channelers, producing far more powerful effects with far less risk than any individual could hope to match and permitting use of weaves that would be suicidal to attempt alone. A channeler trained exclusively in saidin or saidar can learn complex weaves formatted in sensu within weeks that would take years of study to accomplish progressing through the basics of the other. Creating these weaves individually permits them to be formatted with (lesser) buffers that allow greater use of the One Power without risking burnout. Additionally, two channelers who know the same weave can link to use it together. The downside to this is that a lack of shared principles makes innovation more difficult, since weaves are not connected except by virtue of existing in the same frame. Every new weave requires its own carefully selected structure and self-contained pattern designed from scratch, with the constant risk of burning out from drawing on too much of the One Power at once. Finally, a channeler cannot participate in a linked weave if they can’t use it individually, even if they know other weaves in this system.”

Corinne halts to notice Diesis looking at her with unfocused and unblinking eyes. “I forgot you don’t care about this. Well. So long as you have your Disguise up.”

Diesis draws on saidin to complete the first weave Corinne taught her, hiding her ability to channel from any observers. While formulating a response, she imagines herself in the standard setting for discussing with herself; standing alone in the center of her former village surrounded by all its other inhabitants, faces blurred and their bodies merged.

“Can you not even pretend to possess a shred of civility? Say something to show you were listening.”

“No, I heard you. Experimentation hard, you and Isande, geniuses.”

“That’s not the point she was trying to make. Are you sure you were listening? Can you even remember what she said?”

“Of course I can. I like hearing her explanations. Saidar and saidin are built and taught as connected languages with the same underlying principles, where every weave builds off each other like threads in a tapestry. They are designed to be learned as a unified and separate whole. Saidar is collective, saidin is individual. Sensu is modular, with each weave existing independently. This makes it easy to learn weaves in any order but more difficult to create new weaves in the same space. Every weave combines saidin’s strength of individual power and saidar’s strength of collective utility. ”

“You can’t tell her that you enjoy her explanations.”

“I want to hear them. I finally found someone who will talk to me and treat me like I’m capable of understanding. She might even be willing to listen to what I have to say.”

“She only talks to you because she bears the same corruption you do, much as she tries to hide it. Any sensible person would have killed you or locked you in a cage the way a rabid beast like you deserves.”

“Your disguise is very well done,” Corinne says as Diesis remembers she’s still having a conversation. “I can’t detect your use of saidin.”

You deserve better than imprisonment or death,” imagined-Corinne whispers as the pair set off for the White Tower. “This world is ours to live in as we choose.” Diesis shakes her words off. The real Corinne would never be so encouraging.

Just now, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

3 elims is a lot for 11 people, but there's enough potential for village powerful/safe roles and extra lives that it's plausible. Something like Forsaken + Blademaster is also possible with fewer such roles.

27% isn't so high, but yeah. In truth I haven't looked at the role list enough to make any sort of guesses, and that number came from me opening the player list spoiler box in the OP and going '11? 3 seems right' :P 

1 minute ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

You can take two physical actions if a weave isn't submitted so it would need to be two PMs if the kill counts as one. That would still be unreliable since raise fog, mirror of mists, and fold light mess with scans while renew gives someone another physical action.

When you send in your weave order to your GM PM, you state who your linking with. If those players also submit orders to link with each other and you, it works. Otherwise, it's probably just individual. Since every weave has a failure chance, it seems pretty easy for an elim to say they'll link and then do something else unless it's an information weave. @The Unknown Novel, if multiple people link to use say delve, who learns what physical actions were used?

Reveal hidden contents

“Tar Valon. Never thought I’d see it.”

“You wanted to, didn’t you my spark?”  Most of the voices Diesis converses with are indistinct, as she imagines herself speaking to an amalgamation of her villages’ inhabitants. This voice, however is purely Arina’s and Diesis addresses her directly.

“You were the one who wanted me to attend the White Tower. I never dreamed of that.”

She imagines Arina laughing. She can’t quite remember it any longer, was never able to make her inner voice replicate the sound. “You can’t lie to me, my spark. I know you wished you could have been a novice, been Accepted as an Aes Sedai, had me as your Warder.”

“I don’t need the White Tower and I don’t need you. Corinne is more than I could have ever asked for.”

Arina’s response is cut off when Corinne speaks up. “I never thought I’d be back, but the Amyrlin Seat summoned me personally.”

“The same Amyrlin Seat who exiled you?” Diesis derides.

Corinne frowns. “I was not exiled. My mission to find and train saidin channelers in saidar was given Tower support and resources.”

“Off the record. How many Red Ajah would slaughter you on sight?”

“Even if they caught me, they would take me to the Tower for trial.”

Diesis laughs cruelly. “And here I thought Aes Sedai couldn’t lie. They’d sever you immediately and claim gentling was their only option as they feared for their lives. All your protestations would be dismissed as the delusions of a false Sister. Siuan would never challenge the entire Ajah for your sake.”

Corinne’s typically calm voice holds a hint of fury now. “Where have you heard such things about how the Tower does business? Red Ajah make up only 1/5 of the Tower’s membership and 1/7 of its leadership. They cannot act with impunity.”

Diesis tries to speak but no words come out. Arina’s laughter echoes in her head. Corinne sighs. “Nevertheless, we should avoid unwelcome attention. Do you remember the Mirror of Mists and Disguise weaves I showed you?”

“Oh I always have Mirror of Mists up, can’t you tell? And it does such lovely things for my voice as well. I can’t wait until your spouse invents the physical version of this weave.”

Corinne puts a hand to her forehead. “Mirror of Mists is an illusion, using fire and air threads to manipulate light and alter sound waves. There is no physical component, no actual manipulation of matter.”

“Throw in some other threads then. Earth or water to cause a physical change, spirit to alter the body on an underlying level.”

“In the 3,000 years since the Age of Legends ended, the White Tower’s finest scholars have been unable to rediscover even some weaves we know existed. Creating a brand new weave, or even a modification of one, in what amounts to a separate language simply by adding additional threads and hoping for the best is nothing short of impossible. By design, sensu has a mosaic structure, with each weave and its modifications existing as a discrete block separate from all other weaves using this conduit to the One Power. This allows a channeler to learn individual weaves without having to learn the underlying principles and fundamentals as they would for saidin and saidar, which are structured as tapestries with each weaves forming a small part of a larger pattern. Saidin is designed to be used individually. It’s easier and quicker to draw on instinctively and in high-pressure scenarios, especially combat. Its weaves allow a channeler to draw on more of the One Power than they would normally be able to without burning out. Saidar is designed for collective use. While it shares its weaves with saidin, individual efficiency is sacrificed for the ability to initiate linked weaves with other channelers, producing far more powerful effects with far less risk than any individual could hope to match and permitting use of weaves that would be suicidal to attempt alone. A channeler trained exclusively in saidin or saidar can learn complex weaves formatted in sensu within weeks that would take years of study to accomplish progressing through the basics of the other. Creating these weaves individually permits them to be formatted with (lesser) buffers that allow greater use of the One Power without risking burnout. Additionally, two channelers who know the same weave can link to use it together. The downside to this is that a lack of shared principles makes innovation more difficult, since weaves are not connected except by virtue of existing in the same frame. Every new weave requires its own carefully selected structure and self-contained pattern designed from scratch, with the constant risk of burning out from drawing on too much of the One Power at once. Finally, a channeler cannot participate in a linked weave if they can’t use it individually, even if they know other weaves in this system.”

Corinne halts to notice Diesis looking at her with unfocused and unblinking eyes. “I forgot you don’t care about this. Well. So long as you have your Disguise up.”

Diesis draws on saidin to complete the first weave Corinne taught her, hiding her ability to channel from any observers. While formulating a response, she imagines herself in the standard setting for discussing with herself; standing alone in the center of her former village surrounded by all its other inhabitants, faces blurred and their bodies merged.

“Can you not even pretend to possess a shred of civility? Say something to show you were listening.”

“No, I heard you. Experimentation hard, you and Isande, geniuses.”

“That’s not the point she was trying to make. Are you sure you were listening? Can you even remember what she said?”

“Of course I can. I like hearing her explanations. Saidar and saidin are built and taught as connected languages with the same underlying principles, where every weave builds off each other like threads in a tapestry. They are designed to be learned as a unified and separate whole. Saidar is collective, saidin is individual. Sensu is modular, with each weave existing independently. This makes it easy to learn weaves in any order but more difficult to create new weaves in the same space. Every weave combines saidin’s strength of individual power and saidar’s strength of collective utility. ”

“You can’t tell her that you enjoy her explanations.”

“I want to hear them. I finally found someone who will talk to me and treat me like I’m capable of understanding. She might even be willing to listen to what I have to say.”

“She only talks to you because she bears the same corruption you do, much as she tries to hide it. Any sensible person would have killed you or locked you in a cage the way a rabid beast like you deserves.”

“Your disguise is very well done,” Corinne says as Diesis remembers she’s still having a conversation. “I can’t detect your use of saidin.”

You deserve better than imprisonment or death,” imagined-Corinne whispers as the pair set off for the White Tower. “This world is ours to live in as we choose.” Diesis shakes her words off. The real Corinne would never be so encouraging.

A random one who submitted the Delve action.

So A, B, and C,

A, Delve 

B, Delve

C, Lightning 

Either, lightning will happen, or A or B will win, and whoever wins learns the results.

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

Either, lightning will happen, or A or B will win, and whoever wins learns the results.

So links with contradictory actions are randomly decided instead of individual? An elim Aes Sedai can link with a village Aes Sedai to shield someone but choose to use lightning instead with a 1/2 chance of shield, 1/2 chance of lightning?

6 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

So links with contradictory actions are randomly decided instead of individual? An elim Aes Sedai can link with a village Aes Sedai to shield someone but choose to use lightning instead with a 1/2 chance of shield, 1/2 chance of lightning?

Yes, but it's actually 60/40 in the villager's favor. 

1 hour ago, Luckspren said:

You're asking so that if someone was scanned starting a PM, we know they didn't send in the elim kill- or you're an elim and you want to know? :ph34r:

This is a bit more relevant because weaves can physically block players, and killing via weave requires a fair bit of luck, even if linking is used to reduce the difficulty. The faction kill is a physical action, according to TUN in the game approval PM.

3 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

So then assuming that there are three elims. It is likely that one is a forsaken, one is a Myrdraal and one is just a black sister. 

I'm thinking it's dangerous to assume that all of the roles are included in this game. One of the concerns I brought up in approval was that the combination of 3 village roles plus the downside of the Forsaken would potentially allow the village to mechanically solve the game. I do agree at least about the Myrdraal though, since that gives the elims only a single safe link option, and my gut feeling is that the elims will be unable to weave Lightning on their own.

I also agree with Illwei on Wizard, so that's where my vote goes for now. 

15 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

I'm thinking it's dangerous to assume that all of the roles are included in this game. One of the concerns I brought up in approval was that the combination of 3 village roles plus the downside of the Forsaken would potentially allow the village to mechanically solve the game. I do agree at least about the Myrdraal though, since that gives the elims only a single safe link option, and my gut feeling is that the elims will be unable to weave Lightning on their own.

I just tend to put all the elim specific roles for the elims in. Thought all possible elim roles are Aes Sedai, Amrylin Seat, Warder, Blademaster, Forsaken, and Myrdraal. I don't know the usual distro amounts for eleven people but three seems more likely than two. Two might be more likely with the possible random strikes in the dark (lightning) and hitting villagers instead of elims. Forsaken can have an extra kill each round, as one weave is going to always work. Blademaster can fake village if "killed". Myrdraal can vote and continue actions a turn after they are dead. Aes Sedai can also have a possible extra kill, less than forsaken, but still possible. Amrylin seat can change vote away from a elim teamate. Warders can protect themselves and elim Aes Sedai from a kill. Those are just my thoughts on possible elim strategies and combinations.

I agree that your vote on Wizard does need some answers, Illwei. You also haven't contributed anything else, although that may just be because you're busy. 

I'm also going to guess that there are 2-3 elims with the chance of the more powerful roles being present in a 2 Elim game. Although, with the fact that the village can also do the lightning action and being able to protect themselves, I would lean more towards the 3 Elim team. 

I think more thoughts about the weaves themselves would be helpful. The weaves really add a big variety and randomness to the game. There is always a chance that they happen or a chance that they don't. The weaves can even interrupt each other which adds more to the randomness. Another question is, how worth it is it to link? First of all, you have to share info about your weaving attributes and then try and convince someone to do some certain weaves. Anyways, I think this will be an interesting game... 

Spoiler

Anenti was in the library where she always was. Reading one book or another or even going back and forth cross reading books. It was her dream to be able to create her own weave, even though she knew it was almost impossible. Still it would... 

A scream. "What is going on? Where did that come from?" Anenti thought to herself worriedly. Something was amiss. She hurried in the direction of the sound. As she got closer, the hallway got more full of people. Finally, she saw what was causing the disturbance. It was two bodies. She tried not to scream or throw up. This was not something she was accustomed to. "I need my books, I need to...

Her stomach finally gave out and she rushed to find a place to deposit her lunch. After cleaning herself up, she rushed back to the library. She needed to look up a couple of weaves.