Let's write a story with the power of friendship!

So I had the idea to work together and write a story, one sentence at a time. The only 2 objectives are to write a story, and try to keep it cohesive and as reasonable as possible. The genre is a utopian-ish fantasy, but it'll be very soft (meaning there are very few rules, think Studio Ghibli vibes). You can add magic if you want but keep it vague and Gandalf-y and avoid deus-ex-machina-y things. Try to keep to 1 or 2 sentences per post, but feel free to write more if they're reasonably short (or you are introducing something new). Also, try to use other characters/plotlines before starting your own. Here we go I guess!

~~~

Lylac lay facing the sky in a soft patch of grass, her bright purple eyes following a cloudship piercing the sky. Her focus shifted as a flock of starlings swooped overhead, rolling in the sky.

Starlings made her think of her brother, who was probably in another of those cloudships. Lylac missed him, but he was doing what was necessary. 

She hoped.

Edited by Shallan Stormblessed
Getting rid of a past edit that didn't fit with later responses

Her brother was off fighting the rebels in the western regions. Looking at her gorgeous surroundings, you’d never guess the country was in the midst of civil war, and yet that ugly truth was present all the same. 

Her country’s flag hanging above the doorway, a picture her brother had sent of him and his crew, the food rations she had stored in case of emergency. All painful reminders.

Sometimes she wondered if this war was worth fighting at all. She didn’t dare say such things aloud however. 

Before she entered her house, Lylac looked up in the sky. Veleni, the largest of her world's five moons, was clearly visible even in the bright daylight. It's slight purple hue and smooth surface was somewhat comforting.

Lylac shook her head to focus on the present and opened the door to go inside.

She didn't dare utter the thoughts she sometimes had inside. But Tria, Lylac's friend, did. Her words echoed in Lylac's head. You think it matters. You think this is a noble cause, and not just a suicide mission. I don't understand you.

Come to think of it, Lylac thought, I haven’t seen Tri in a while. I should check in on her. 

Thoughts of the war vanished as she gathered her things and left to visit her friend. She considered taking her AirScooter but it was only a 10 minute walk. I could use the exercise, she thought to herself with a laugh. 

As she walked, through the valley where she lived, Lylac came to her favorite field of flowers. The flowers were known as Starmakers, and they grew in nice, cool colors, like blue and purple. Tiny motes of colored light rose from the flower field, produced by the Starmakers. The motes were hard to see in the sun, so the field was much more magnificent at night.

Once again, Lylac had to remind herself that she was going somewhere and turn her attention away from the flowers. After a few minutes, she reached Tria's house.

I really do love me some worldbuilding....

Edited by The Bookwyrm

Lylac sighed. Tria was always strangely paranoid, and the war hadn't helped that at all.

"Tri, it's me. Lylac Starani. I'm your best friend, and I've known you since we were six."

Tria's eyes narrowed. "How did we meet?"

And....now she wants proof, Lylac thought. Of course.

Lylac tried not to let that fear show. "It was the Starmakers, of course. We liked the way they scattered the motes of light as they flew through the air."

As soon as Lylac said the word Starmakers, Tria's eyes finally softened. Lylac let out a small sigh of relief.

"Well, why didn't you say so earlier?" Tria said, finally smiling. "Come in!"

I'm going to have to ask her what that was about, Lylac told herself.

Tria lived alone, despite her young age. She kept her small cottage neat and clean, despite the fact that her hobby sometimes made a mess. The building was small, with only a few rooms, but it was cozy, if somewhat eccentric.

Magical devices lined the walls, and a table in the center of the living room had what look liked a half dismantled air scooter. The glowing magical core that powered the machine illuminated the otherwise sparsely lit room.

Tria had always had an interest in magical technology, and liked to experiment with it.

Someone else work on the dialogue. I'm not as good at it.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

Tria couldn't disguise the small smile that crept onto her face. "I'm making a..." 

She seemed to reconsider giving the information away. Tahra's skull! Tria must be the most paranoid person in Riladi.

Tri overcame her momentary reluctance. "I'm making a... a weapon of sorts."