Dalinar Vs Szeth Who Would Win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would Win?

• Dalinar
    • Szeth
    • Dalinar and Gavilar
    • Still Szeth

6 minutes ago, MasterGhandalf said:

Per WoR, Dalinar realizes while fighting Szeth at the climax that he couldn't have defeated him that night; I'm inclined to defer to Dalinar's judgment, so I voted for Szeth. 

I have to agree that night Dalinar would have died too.  

Granted that was vs stormlight and an honorblade.  

Would it change anything if they both had stormlight and surges?  

As far as Dalinar and Gavilar both in full shardplate and with blades I think Szeth would have had his work cut out for him without a doubt.  

8 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

As far as Dalinar and Gavilar both in full shardplate and with blades I think Szeth would have had his work cut out for him without a doubt.  

Dalinar with plate, blade and thrill would be a match for Szeth, especially if it was Dalinar and Gavilar

Dalinar with his Radiant Plate, Stormlight, and Bondsmith powers vs Szeth with the Jezrien blade or with his Radiant powers would be a dope fight and probably a close one. Szeth with Nightblood would probably win if the fight was less than a minute but, if Dalinar lasts longer than that, I would start to bet that Nightblood killing Szeth is as likely as Dalinar doing it. 

15 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Yes, if Dalinar were Radiant that would change it radically- Radiant healing would give him a chance to survive Shardblade hits, which Honorblade healing doesn't; that (plus Adhesion and Gavilar's help) could make the difference.

8 hours ago, LordFlea said:

Dalinar with plate, blade and thrill would be a match for Szeth, especially if it was Dalinar and Gavilar

I kinda disagree with respect to the Thrill. It made Dalinar a terror on a battlefield because the vast majority if not all his opponents on a battlefield are just ordinary people/parshendi. It enabled him and others like him to ignore morality/ethics of killing that many people and maybe conferred an extra bit of stamina/endurance to keep things going. I don't think is made him a better fighter, just a more brutal one that can afford to be reckless because of Shardplate. That wouldn't serve too well in a fight against someone like Szeth, especially given that neither Dalinar or Gavilar have any experience fighting a Windrunner. The Thrill would make them predictable and easy to goad as seen with how Shallan kept an army affected by the Thrill with illusions alone. If Szeth was also affected by the Thrill, it might be a contest. But, if he's unaffected, he'd make short work of them. 

56 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

I kinda disagree with respect to the Thrill. It made Dalinar a terror on a battlefield because the vast majority if not all his opponents on a battlefield are just ordinary people/parshendi. It enabled him and others like him to ignore morality/ethics of killing that many people and maybe conferred an extra bit of stamina/endurance to keep things going. I don't think is made him a better fighter, just a more brutal one that can afford to be reckless because of Shardplate.

Yeah... I kind of get the impression that the Thrill as the Alethi's "secret edge" is more of a morale thing. Not that it makes them better fighters, in the sense of skill, or physical strength (except in an "adrenaline rush" kind of way) - but it makes them less likely to hesitate, reduces fear, increases will to fight despite losses.

Which can make a huge difference on a large scale of armies etc., but I don't think it helps much in the case of people like Szeth and Dalinar who we can assume are totally committed to the fight already and too well trained to hesitate.

I think the Thrill is basically an emotional effect, like Ashertmarn's "revelry" effect, not actually giving powers; it's probably much like (Mistborn)

Spoiler

Emotional Allomancy- and we do see that used in battle for morale purposes (Soothing fear for soldiers).