I am ready to speak the words

Hey everyone, glad to be here i need somewhere to unleash all this pent up nerd talk. I had been reading alot of history and philosophy recently until a friend on a DnD server recommended Way of Kings and it has reignited (understatement) a passion for modern fantasy. Ive shredded through Stormlight and am on Mistborn now just to tie myself over till SL5. However this has caused a problem for me as I now have a build up of things to talk about and none of my friends read!. Hope to get know some of you and talk through some Cosmere stuff.

Edited by Dirt Greenwood
Typing on phone and didnt finish

Depends on the book…

WoK: Definitely Kaladin, he was better the whole book but that scene where he lands and speaks the 1st ideal is carved into my brain.

WoR: Shallan without Jasnah gets a chance to shine, and Kaladin takes a back seat more as we learn more about Bridge 4

Oathb: Shallan really came alive in this book and is as engaging a female character as Ive ever read.

RoW: The Lopen lol. Joking of course but Id put Kaladin ahead of Shallan in this one mostly because Shallans mental health issues reminded me too much of her slow (not bad just slow) start and meeting Kals family gives a great backdrop for his development.

Edited by Dirt Greenwood
Mispell

Welcome to the Shard!

I'll start the nerd talk by pointing out that Kaladin landed and spoke the Second Ideal. 'Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination' is every Radiant's First Ideal. "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves' is the Second Ideal of the Windrunners. 

Edit: Double-checked on the Coppermind (By the way, Sanderson Wikipedia exists!)

Edited by Luckspren

On 15/07/2022 at 0:08 AM, Dirt Greenwood said:

Hey everyone, glad to be here i need somewhere to unleash all this pent up nerd talk. I had been reading alot of history and philosophy recently until a friend on a DnD server recommended Way of Kings and it has reignited (understatement) a passion for modern fantasy. Ive shredded through Stormlight and am on Mistborn now just to tie myself over till SL5. However this has caused a problem for me as I now have a build up of things to talk about and none of my friends read!. Hope to get know some of you and talk through some Cosmere stuff.

I totally understand that! I luckily have my brother to talk Stormlight with, but I've also recently joined this forum with similar thoughts as you! 

I was intrigued when you mentioned you read philosophy. One thing I love about Stormlight is that the philosophy of the Knights Radiant (Dalinar in particular) is close to Stoicism. What do you think?