Mid-Range Game 59: Alcatraz vs the Lens Destructors

Elandera

"Smedry! Would you get your talent under control? Stop breaking my lenses!" Bastille waved a shattered pair of warriors lenses in my face.

I, Alcatraz Smedry, could only stare open-mouthed back. It wasn't that I had my talent under control or anything. No, things still fall apart around me. Literally. And not in the hyperbolic literal way that some people imply when they say literally. I mean literally literally. I'm good at breaking things. But this wasn't me. When I break things, they break in strange ways. Not like Sing Sing had stepped on them

"This is the tenth pair of lenses we've had to replace since you got here," Bastille continued, her rant only becoming more furious with every word.

"Bastile," Grandpa Smedry cut in.

She didn't stop. She just kept talking. Well, shouting at me. But I stopped listening. How could I keep listening when I noticed what Grandpa was looking at.

The librarians were here.

Welcome to Mid-Range Game 59: Alcatraqz vs the Lens Destructors! This is a re-run of QF42, but simplified. This will be lens(role) madness. Find the rule doc here. I am the GM, and @Araris Valerian will be Arelis Smedry (also known as the IM).

But also here:

Spoiler

Free Kingdomers: Stop the Evil Librarians who’ve infiltrated the Lens Crafters guild. You must fight to stop all of the Evil Librarians.

Evil Librarians: Defeat the Free Kingdomers and bring order to the chaos they create. You all start in a doc together. You win when you outnumber the Free Kingdomers.

• Order of the Shattered Lens: Select one player to destroy their lenses.
  • Target one player to kill that cycle. Any member of the Evil Librarians can take this action.

General Rules:

• MR: 48 hour cycles (day/night combined)
  • One-on-one PMs are open, and do not count as an action
  • Only one vote is required for an exe
  • Tied exes will be decided by RNG
  • Each player has one action per cycle
  • There are no hidden mechanics, rules, or roles, though not every lens will be in play
  • Inactivity filter: If a player does not post for 2 consecutive cycles, they will be replaced by a pinch-hitter. If no pinch-hitters are available, they will be killed and their lenses will be dropped.

Roles:

Oculators:

• Everyone is an oculator.
  • Lenses will be passed to another player at random when the holder dies.
  • A player can use an action to pass a lens to another player.
  • Up to two of each lens (or two pairs of the Courier’s Lenses) will be created to begin the game.

Lenses:

• Courier’s Lenses: The holders of these lenses will start in a PM together that is immune to the Translator’s Lens. New PMs will be created if the lens is passed.
  • Disguiser’s Lenses: Select another player to look like that turn, making the user immune to any action against them. However, if the player they look like is successfully killed, both will die.
  • Tracker’s Lenses: Learn the action taken by one player that cycle.
  • Translator’s Lenses: Read one random PM exchange from that cycle. The names of who sent the PMs will not be revealed. (Does not apply to the Courier’s lens PM)
  • Truthfinder’s Lenses:  Block a player’s actions by confronting them about a lie they told (flavor only, you don’t need to know a lie they told, nor do they need to have told a lie). This cannot be used on the same player twice in a row. This does not work against a player using the Windstormer’s Lens.
  • Windstormer’s Lenses: When activated, the Oculator holding them cannot be targeted by any abilities for that cycle (does not include the exe). They also cannot be given another lens, either by action or at random. Once the lens is used, it is dropped.
  • Voidstormer’s Lenses: Steal the lenses of one target. Using this ability causes the user to lose the Voidstormer’s Lens as they grab the ones they've stolen.

Order of actions:

• Lenses
    • Windstormer’s
    • Truthfinder’s
    • Translator’s
    • Disguiser’s
    • Voidstormer’s/Tracker’s
  • Order of the Shattered Lens
  • Evil Librarian’s Kill
  • Pass lenses

Sign-ups will close Wednesday, July 20 at 4 p.m. PDT.

Rule Clarifications

Spoiler

If a courier's lens is passed, the old PM will be closed. Players may open a standard PM with each other, but it will be subject to the Translator's lens. (Players may choose to use the same PM, but it the secretive part will have been marked as closed.)

Player List

Spoiler
  1. @A Joe in the Bush - Sabenta Smedry
  2. @Steeldancer - DumDum Rock
  3. @JNV - Cori
  4. @Matrim's Dice - Phil Philson
  5. @The Wandering Wizard - Alfonzo Smedry
  6. @Fifth Scholar - Sasha Grischuk
  7. @The Unknown Novel - Syrus Smedry
  8. @Droughtbringer - Master Namer Smedry
  9. @The_God_King - Mcgee
  10. @Kasimir - Kazed Sarkar
  11. @Conquestor - Theonandrimicrus "Theo" Hathor the Third
  12. @Ashbringer - AraRaash
  13. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Dr. Sader
  14. @Luckspren - Adelaide Smedry

Pinch Hitters:

1. Archer - Grandpa Smedry

Quick Links

Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity

3 hours ago, Elandera said:
  • Courier’s Lenses: The holders of these lenses will start in a PM together that is immune to the Translator’s Lens. New PMs will be created if the lens is passed.

Does the old PM close?

Suppose A and B have Courier's Lenses. What happens if A's lenses are shattered - both to the PM and for B's lenses? Do they essentially become non-functional?

• Translator’s Lenses: Read one random PM exchange from that cycle. The names of who sent the PMs will not be revealed. (Does not apply to the Courier’s lens PM)

Entire PM exchange or single PM message?

• Truthfinder’s Lenses:  Block a player’s actions by confronting them about a lie they told (flavor only, you don’t need to know a lie they told, nor do they need to have told a lie). This cannot be used on the same player twice in a row. This does not work against a player using the Windstormer’s Lens.

A lie?

How's that supposed to stop Fifth? :eyes:

3 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Hello everyone.

Spoiler

Edited by Kasimir

38 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Does the old PM close?

Yes, it will be closed, as they no longer have a secretive mode of communication. They may open one again, but it will be subject to the Translator's lense. (They can use the same PM for this, but I will mark it as closed. Anything after that mark will be a standard PM).

39 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Suppose A and B have Courier's Lenses. What happens if A's lenses are shattered - both to the PM and for B's lenses? Do they essentially become non-functional?

Same as above for the PM. Player B's lense will be non-functional. 

41 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Entire PM exchange or single PM message?

The entire PM from that cycle.

Speaking of which, if you are in PMs, kindly mark the beginning of each cycle. I will try to do this, but it partly depends on the number of PMs people use.

22 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Welcome back to Joe! I will sign up as Sasha Grischuk, a foreign visitor who wonders why so many people around here have vision problems.

Wonderful, someone else who hasn't read Alcatraz. Now I don't feel so alone anymore.

Signing up as Kazed Sarkar, a student of the Kitab al-Manazir.

Hello! It's been forever since I've actually done a Sanderson Elimination game. I was thinking about it since I just finished Rhythm of War. (I was late since it came out on my mission). If there's room for a rusty return player, I'd love to join! I also haven't read Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians, but this looks like fun! 

May the World welcome: Theonandrimicrus Hathor the Third... also known as Theo.