Dragonsteel Questions

So I bought tickets to Dragonsteel Con this week, but I'm not really sure what I'm going to. I've never actually been to a con before, despite my previous nerdiness, and I have some questions for you smart people who went last year. 

Is it safe to go with my 10 and 14 year old sisters? Is a Wax and Wayne costume required, or can I choose to wear something unrelated? Am I required to wear a costume, or can I go in regular clothes? Will Brandon be wandering around in the crowd with us, or will he have a schedule we can look at so we know where he's going to be?

Thanks a bunch. I'm nervous, but I've never been so excited. *burns pewter to avoid throwing up*

Hey, welcome to your first con! In order:

• As long as you're 18+, there aren't going to be any problems (just like I would be nervous about a group of children going to the zoo by themselves, but as long as everyone is reponsible and there's an adult along to supervise just in case)
  • Nope! You can wear whatever you want! (You can even dress up in other fandoms if you want to--Marvel, Doctor Who, Star Wars, whatever, all are welcome!)
  • Regular clothes are okay; more people will be in regular clothes than in costume, but if you are in costume, you generally get compliments wherever you wander:D. The con is two days long; it would be a little uncomfortable to be in costume for all of it, but you could if you want.
  • Brandon will not be wandering around, he will have a schedule you can look at; (live q&a, maybe a reading, live recording of intentionally blank;) there will also be a bunch of other stuff going on too; (panels with other authors, costume contests, probably trivia games;) and finally, there is stuff organised by other fans. Cons are a great way to meet new people, and it's fairly common to meet up at the end of the day for dinner with other people you met that day, or for someone to bring a stack of board games and put up a flyer inviting anyone to their hotel room to play that night. That being said, if you're local, not staying at a hotel, and you've got kids with you, it's probably not something you're into, and that's fine.

I was finally able to register.  Got badges in the 400's.  The TTE site still doesn't show it as an option to register in their search, but if you follow the links from Brandon's site I was able to register -- which was different from what I was expecting. 

@Hopefinder Do you mean a VIP pass? Are those gone already?  I didn’t even try to purchase one but didn’t realize how limited they were. Anyone know how many there were?  I’m bringing my kids with me and thought about getting one VIP just for the swag but since we couldn’t sit together I didn’t even try. 

23 hours ago, JoyBlu said:

@Hopefinder Do you mean a VIP pass? Are those gone already?  I didn’t even try to purchase one but didn’t realize how limited they were. Anyone know how many there were?  I’m bringing my kids with me and thought about getting one VIP just for the swag but since we couldn’t sit together I didn’t even try. 

Yeah, the VIP passes went fast. There were apparently only 300, and I by the time I got my order in (roughly 5-6 minutes after registration opened) they were more than halfway sold out. The VIP badges are mostly for the swag, but they also allow Early Access seating to Brandon's two main panels (the Spoiler Q&A panel, and The Lost Metal release panel) and access to a VIP lounge. (Which may be new since I don't remember that being the case last year.) Overall, outside of some swag items, I don't think you're missing much. 

@JoyBlu yes I meant the VIP tickets (there were

only 300 and they sold out in 15 minutes). Fortunately 

my brother refreshed for an hour and was able to swipe one up that someone must have changed their minds about. Thought that was pretty

cool of him :). It would have been weird if he got in early and had different seating for everything. Brandon’s books have been a really fun bonding thing for us, we need out on theories and book collecting. Might show up in costume..not sure. I kind of want to be something mildly obscure but that most people will recognize. Anyone have any suggestions? 

@Siri there were lots of spoiler q&a’s there were artist panels, writing clinics, there was lots of gamin and puzzles and treasure hunts (my favorite!!!). There was trivia and fan theories

and a live recording of intentionally blank. There were panels with other authors which was also super exciting! It was a blast! The book release was super fun too you can watch that stuff on the YouTube channel.