Ookla the Confused

What Metallic Art Would You Want?

22 posts in this topic

I don't know if a similar question has been posted, but I wanted to know what people would want to have if they could have one of the Metallic Arts (Meaning ferring or misting. No twinborn, full feruchemists, or mistborn here! Or hemalurgic constructs.)

Personally, I would probably go with either Slider (allomantic bendalloy) or Steelrunner (feruchemical steel) because they can manipulate time, which is pretty cool. Both have disadvantages and advantages, so I can't really decide. What would you pick if you could?

In the real world, probably feruchemical Zinc.  I could be a potato in front of bad TV for a while and be an intuitive genius on the weekends.  

In the Cosmere, probably one of the feruchemical Spiritual Metals depending on the era and location.  

I was assuming more of in the real world. And that is a good point about feruchemical zinc. Just turn off your brain for a few hours and the do your homework.

Hmmm. I think that Feruchemical gold might be nice, just to feel like you have a way to repair any major damage done to your body. I'm pretty scared of something blinding or crippling me, so this one might be nice.

However, Feruchemical Zinc is also potentially really good too, but you would have to be mentally restricted just as often as you were enhanced.

I'm kind of split between the two, honestly

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

Hmmm. I think that Feruchemical gold might be nice, just to feel like you have a way to repair any major damage done to your body. I'm pretty scared of something blinding or crippling me, so this one might be nice.

I think you might want to take Pewterarm instead, it helps you heal faster, allows you to muscle past things that most humans couldn't survive. It also means you don't have to spend time being sick and weak. It won't prevent blindness or cure being crippled, but it is probably better than Bloodmaker, if health is you goal.

Feruchemical tin would be incredibly useful. Both enhancing and dehancing your senses would be quite useful

My usual answer is F-bronze, but I've been needing F-electrum recently.

Either A-Pewter or A-Cadmium. Depends on whether I feel like going far into the distant future to see what technological advances humanity will make.

i would be a Pulser ,ie, Allomantic cadmium , so that I could go to the future and live in a post scarcity economy and take the cure for aging and be immortal . I could take my loved ones with me too.

Or I would choose feruchemical gold 

I would like A Steel, but I definitely need some F Steel.

14 hours ago, Nameless said:

Either A-Pewter or A-Cadmium. Depends on whether I feel like going far into the distant future to see what technological advances humanity will make.

14 hours ago, Friendshipspren said:

i would be a Pulser ,ie, Allomantic cadmium , so that I could go to the future and live in a post scarcity economy and take the cure for aging and be immortal . I could take my loved ones with me too.

It seems that F-Steel would be a better fit, if storing speed does what I think it does. This means you can also be super fast sometimes, but does also mean you can't take others with you, so you might be a good person and use A-Cadmium instead.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm... Misting or Ferring... both have intrinsic advantages and disadvantages. For theoretical IRL usage, do I gain Scadrial's resistance to heavy metal poisoning? If not, that complicates things somewhat, and I would be far more hesitant to go for A-Cadmium. Attention isn't usually drawn to it, but Ferring are constantly carrying around heavy pieces of metal that by nature have to be touching the skin. That has to be cold in the winter if you don't have F-Brass. Sazed at least had a care and maintenance routine for his metalminds, and knowing myself, even if I had it as part of a superpower I may not be the best at maintaining a metalmind. Most of the metals these days are relatively cheap, including Cadmium and Chromium, so using or owning most of them wouldn't be that much of a stress on the budget, with the exception of Gold and Electrum. 

I worry that if I were a Bloodmaker and wandered around with gold bracers on my arms I would need to be way stronger to be able to carry enough Gold to have an appreciable storage, and I might need the healing if I became a target for that wealth (assuming I could afford it in the first place).

In the end, I might go for A-Steel, because Steelsight alone could be incredibly useful and seems to have less drawbacks sensory-wise when compared to A-Tin. If I wanted to be a structural engineer, an inspector, or get into the metal refinement industry, being able to develop my skills to the point that I can identify metals with Steelsight, that all has far more application to improve the world than a lot of the abilities that are mostly of personal use. There's also being able to always find my phone, car keys, and wallet, which is nothing to be sneezed at. Being able to do heavy lifting with proper equipment and Steel could be useful at time as well. If I decide to go on a crime fighting spree, fly, or any of the more dangerous stunts available to a Coinshot, the option is on the table, but there's a lot that I could do with this power without having to do anything risky. Steel rather than Iron because while being able to Pull my keys to me would be useful, I'm way more likely to accidentally injure myself as a Lurcher.

Edited by Duxredux
clarity

Hmmmm...

Pewter is tempting for the broad physical benefits -- I don't get in fights, but it also improves grace/balance and speed, improves recovery from injuries (does it help with recovering from disease?), and improves resistance to things like cold weather -- but most RL pewter probably isn't actually the right allomantic alloy (91% tin 9% lead I think) And as @Duxreduxsays, do I get Scadrians' increased resistance to metal poisoning? That lead content is alarming.

Zinc or Brass Allomancy are probably the most powerful in a situation like our world, and Zinc gets away from the "finding the right alloy" potential issue, but I find them ethically iffy, and anyway I'm not nearly socially perceptive enough to use them well.

Iron, Zinc, and Brass Feruchemy are tempting because storing is useful as well as tapping (Zinc is less obvious, but I'd store it to make e.g. boring meetings seem to go faster, make audiobooks seem less slow, etc.).

Gold Feruchemy is awesome, but a pain to store. If I had that I'd store slowly and build up a good reserve in - say - rings and a necklace, which I'd never take off and never use so I could keep it for an emergency life-saver in case I was in a car accident or had a heart attack or something.

Overall, Zinc Feruchemy is what I'd probably use the most, so I guess I'll pick that.

Allomantic pewter is just too helpful in life... 

Feruchemical iron would be great for mobility as well.  (A fantasy of just stepping off the edge of a cliff or building worry free).

On 7/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, Odiumiumium said:

It seems that F-Steel would be a better fit, if storing speed does what I think it does. This means you can also be super fast sometimes, but does also mean you can't take others with you, so you might be a good person and use A-Cadmium instead.

Sadly, F-steel doesn’t work like that:

Calderis

I recently got the opportunity to ask you a question about Feruchemical steel and if it was a temporal effect and you told me to define that better. When tapping steel, the mind of the Feruchemist is sped up and physics affects their actions normally. When storing, their mind is not slowed and the effect seems tortuously difficult to amass. Storing generally seems to be the more dangerous/difficult option in Feruchemy, so does [Feruchemical steel] alter a person's personal relationship to the flow of time, with the disconnect between the Physical and Cognitive as a drawback of storing?

Brandon Sanderson

I see what you're asking. The mind-altering effects of [Feruchemical steel] are similar to the slight strength you gain from [Feruchemical iron]--it is your Spiritual nature adapting to the new influx of an attribute that it's not really expecting, and siphoning some of that investiture to make you capable of actually using it. So there is a slight temporal effect here, but nothing as big as I think you're looking for.

Feruchemical Copper. Sazed proved how useful that much knowledge is.  Imagine knowing enough to be a surgeon, lawyer, engineer, programmer, general, and political leader all  at the same time.  A photographic memory would be useful under almost any circumstances. Plus the metal is common.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, Odiumiumium said:

I don't know if a similar question has been posted, but I wanted to know what people would want to have if they could have one of the Metallic Arts (Meaning ferring or misting. No twinborn, full feruchemists, or mistborn here! Or hemalurgic constructs.)

Personally, I would probably go with either Slider (allomantic bendalloy) or Steelrunner (feruchemical steel) because they can manipulate time, which is pretty cool. Both have disadvantages and advantages, so I can't really decide. What would you pick if you could?

Either Allomantic Pewter or Feruchemical Copper

Both are readily available metals and would be amazing to have IRL for their various properties

On 7/10/2022 at 4:11 PM, Duxredux said:

For theoretical IRL usage, do I gain Scadrial's resistance to heavy metal poisoning?

I would assume not, however the ability to burn the metals within you away is probably going to help with the specific metal you are using. If you forget to burn them away, or take too long to, that's probably going to be an issue. Seeing all of these different perspectives does make me feel that allomancy might have too many IRL drawbacks than feruchemy. I think @Tamriel Wolfsbaine is on the right track. Feruchemical iron is just the best. 

Posted (edited)

I would become either a Soother or Rioter if I could have both that would be incredible I think if I had those powers it would make life much more interesting and I am fascinated by human behavior the ethics are iffy but I think the potential for fun would outweigh it for me at least.

Edited by LightweaverWannabe

f-tin, because being able to store senses might be able to help with sensory overload problems when i'm in noisy areas

or possibly f-brass so then i'm never too hot or too cold

Posted (edited)

I think I would have cadmium-f. This is because I could explore places that have never been explored before and it is always a safety net if I drown or suffocate. 

If I lived on scadrial I would have nicrocil because I could be quiet about my powers but also if I could get the cube/dice thing then I could be very powerful 

Edited by BrightLord William

On 7/23/2022 at 7:01 AM, BrightLord William said:

I think I would have cadmium-f. This is because I could explore places that have never been explored before and it is always a safety net if I drown or suffocate. 

If I lived on scadrial I would have nicrocil because I could be quiet about my powers but also if I could get the cube/dice thing then I could be very powerful 

Nicrosil would be a great one.  Either feruchemy or allomancy would allow you to gather all of the goodies that the cosmere has to offer.  

One single metallic art could, with time and a lucky medallion or spike, become one of the most powerful beings in the cosmere.