Investiture Consumption Confusion

That1Cellist

We know that Nomad is running away from the Night Brigade, and in order to get to another planet, he must gain access to a sizeable amount of investiture. Knowing this, I am very confused as to what happens when the glowing man grabs his face. If the power the man was using was invested, as I assume it was, then wouldn't Nomad have absorbed it? Additionally, we know that the sunlight on this planet is almost for certain invested, and Nomad himself compares it to Taldain. Why then, doesn't he just walk out into the sunlight, absorb enough investiture to get off world, and just leave? Auxiliary says that the sunlight would kill him if he were out in it for too long, but not immediately, why then, does he not absorb the investiture in the sunlight?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 6:55 PM, ShardlessVessel said:

It may also be a matter of density. Nomad needs a lot of Investiture. The sunlight may disintegrate him before he can Invest himself enough to even Connect to the planet, let alone Skim away.

Well, then why doesn't Nomad just put Aux out in the sun? Aux is neither concerned about dying and also seems to be the one gathering the investiture. 

Point: it is going to kill you, my poor squire.  I am already dead.

“You…can absorb that, right?” Nomad asked.

Yes, Auxiliary said.  Just form me as a receptacle—or even just a standard shield—on your chest as he stabs, and I’ll recycle the energy.

Seems like the sun would definitely kill Nomad. And Nomad is unable to absorb the investiture from the ember man because he was not actively trying to do so. He may have still been disoriented from the skip and so not thinking about that. He seems to need to the stormlight "breathing in" trick, at least physiologically. Other wise he needs Aux to do it.

But he covered his discomfort with a smile and raised the energy core to his face, then breathed in.

It had taken him months to get the trick of that.  He was certain that the “breathing in” part was psychological, and he didn’t need it.  But he’d learned, with time, how to feed on Investiture.  An after-effect of the burden he’d once carried, the thing that had given him his Torment.

Either way, he easily absorbed the energy of that fragment of the sun—a ball of molten light, which wasn’t the least bit hot in his fingers.  As he took the Investiture in, the entire core went to slag, its energy drained.