What is dark one?

kaladin x happiness

On 6/30/2022 at 5:57 AM, kaladin x happiness said:

What is dark one? Im confused

A dark portal fantasy in which a young man from Earth is destined to be the Dark One (aka the Voldemort/Sauron/Insert Big Evil Bad Guy Here) of another world. It currently has one graphic novel with another in the works, an audio-novella (framed as an in-world podcast) coming out in October, and a novelization based on the original outline (which will be different from the graphic novel*) that Brandon finished a quick draft on last month and will probably come out next year. (Which is when I theorize we'll see Volume Two of the graphic novel as well.) 

*Dan Wells has gone on record twice about how the novelization wasn't really following the outline, so it'll be different from the graphic novel. Brandon, though, said that this version was more true to the outline. I'm guessing we won't really know until the book is closer to completion and we can compare. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2022 at 7:47 PM, Use the Falchion said:

A dark portal fantasy in which a young man from Earth is destined to be the Dark One (aka the Voldemort/Sauron/Insert Big Evil Bad Guy Here) of another world. It currently has one graphic novel with another in the works, an audio-novella (framed as an in-world podcast) coming out in October, and a novelization based on the original outline (which will be different from the graphic novel*) that Brandon finished a quick draft on last month and will probably come out next year. (Which is when I theorize we'll see Volume Two of the graphic novel as well.) 

*Dan Wells has gone on record twice about how the novelization wasn't really following the outline, so it'll be different from the graphic novel. Brandon, though, said that this version was more true to the outline. I'm guessing we won't really know until the book is closer to completion and we can compare. 

Is the graphic novel or the novelization canon?

On 11/28/2023 at 9:38 AM, Calamity_Engine said:

The novelization. The latest novella doesn't seem to follow the same timeline as the graphic novel in any respect.

I don't know how the novelization is going to top the graphic novel, though. That one hit for me in so many ways. I love it so much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 9:38 AM, Calamity_Engine said:

Both are canon in different ways, much like how Marvel Civil War comics are canon to the comics and the Captain America: Civil War is canon to the movies. 

On 11/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, Ookla the Black Sock said:

The novelization. The latest novella doesn't seem to follow the same timeline as the graphic novel in any respect.

The audionovella is a prequel to both IIRC. The graphic novel has a line about the serial killer being caught due to a podcast, which is what Forgotten is. The novelization is currently being reworked to include the protagonist of Forgotten as a protagonist (possibly deuteragonist?) of the main story. 

3 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Both are canon in different ways, much like how Marvel Civil War comics are canon to the comics and the Captain America: Civil War is canon to the movies. 

The audionovella is a prequel to both IIRC. The graphic novel has a line about the serial killer being caught due to a podcast, which is what Forgotten is. The novelization is currently being reworked to include the protagonist of Forgotten as a protagonist (possibly deuteragonist?) of the main story. 

No it isn't. The podcast takes place in 2021 or something according to some things it says. I can't remember exactly where the differences are, but I remember there being some distinct ones, specifically in the scenes where they talk about the times that Malhallam has killed people. The timeline on how many people and when is skewed, as is the idea of Paul's father, though I could be wrong on that last one.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:06 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

The podcast takes place in 2021 or something according to some things it says.

Does the graphic novel ever state when it takes place though? Even then, dates are pretty moot in comics. 

I can't remember exactly where the differences are, but I remember there being some distinct ones, specifically in the scenes where they talk about the times that Malhallam has killed people.

Again, minor moot point. I'm pretty sure Malhallam admits that there are bodies and victims that both the police and the podcast didn't discover in the graphic novel, so any inconsistencies could be chalked up to that. 

as is the idea of Paul's father, though I could be wrong on that last one.

They hinted that he died, but they didn't outright confirm it. They only really confirmed he was from Mirandus in the comic, and that no one remembers him for some reason. 

Either way, yes, both stories are canon, but to themselves and not each other. That's the main point. The prequel is a sort of branching-off point for either story, but neither is fighting the other over which is the "true" version of the story. There frankly isn't a need to do so. This isn't White Sand, nor does everything need a One True Canon. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Does the graphic novel ever state when it takes place though? Even then, dates are pretty moot in comics. 

Again, minor moot point. I'm pretty sure Malhallam admits that there are bodies and victims that both the police and the podcast didn't discover in the graphic novel, so any inconsistencies could be chalked up to that. 

They hinted that he died, but they didn't outright confirm it. They only really confirmed he was from Mirandus in the comic, and that no one remembers him for some reason. 

Either way, yes, both stories are canon, but to themselves and not each other. That's the main point. The prequel is a sort of branching-off point for either story, but neither is fighting the other over which is the "true" version of the story. There frankly isn't a need to do so. This isn't White Sand, nor does everything need a One True Canon. 

*shrug*

Tbh, you could be right from what I remember from Forgotten. I've forgotten (lol) a lot of the minor details by now. though, as I said, I do remember finding inconsistencies. I'll relisten to Forgotten sometime and mention it on here.