Just finished the Reckoners Trilogy (possible spoilers)

Lindy Moon

It took me a while to finish the series, but I finally did! Stayed up until almost 3am because I couldn't put it down.

Once again, was not disappointed! I pride myself in being able to catch on to the plot, and figure things out quickly, but I was never ahead of David. I figured it out as he did, I messed it up when he did, etc. It's so refreshing to have books that I can't predict. Sanderson writes it so perfectly, that when you finally figure it out, it feels obvious because there were all these hints and signs, but they didn't make sense until that moment.

Spoiler

Calamity being an Epic (THE Epic) is one of those moments for me. As soon as Regalia said it, I just went "OH! Of course!". I felt like I should have realized it sooner, not just because of the hints in the writing, but also the actual titles of the books. The first two are the names of Epics, so of course the third one is as well.

I know it's a young adult series, but his writing is so intelligent that I didn't feel like I was reading a YA novel. I stopped reading the later Percy Jackson books because they started feeling too young for me. I had just gotten too old for them to grab my attention in the same way. No such issues with Reckoners. It's nowhere near as complicated as Mistborn, but it's no 'dumbed down'. There's just a little less to the magic system, but even then, he didn't simplify the magic system so much that you couldn't figure it out quickly!

So yeah, that's my praise of the Reckoners Trilogy. I have the whole of the Cosmere to read next.