Unmade and Radiant Orders

Wandering Drow

I'm a new user, so please excuse any formatting errors and such. If I'm doing something wrong let me know. If this thread already exists somewhere please direct me there, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't have a dedicated thread.

Anyway, I recently learned of a WoB vaguely connecting the Unmade to each Radiant Order, with the exception of Bondsmiths:

XS-Terrain

Also, does each of the Unmade have a corresponding order of the Knights Radiant?

Brandon Sanderson

Eh... Kind of.

XS-Terrain

Ok. So there are nine Unmade right, so which one is left out?

Brandon Sanderson

Bondsmith. But it's not as one to one, there's some fuzziness in there.

I was thinking about it, and even though there might not be a direct correlation, if we could connect each known Unmade to a Radiant Order we may be able to discern some secrets about the two we haven't seen yet, or figure out some more secrets about the ones we've seen already. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Re-Shephir = Lightweavers (Because of the history of Re-Shephir's capture and the events in Oathbringer and their abilities)

Sja-Anat = Elsecallers (Because of a strong connection to Shadesmar)

Nergaoul = Dustbringers (Because of a tendency for destruction)

Moelach = Truthwatchers (Because corrupted Renarin saw the future)

These are all the connections I've come up with. I'm honestly not sure about any of these except Re-Shephir. None of these are good connections, though I guess from the WoB there's not likely to be strong connections in the first place.

Any thoughts guys? You all seem like smart people.

6 hours ago, Wandering Drow said:

Any thoughts guys?

It could also be that the Unmade are more tied to a Surge (and therefore loosely connected to two Radiant Orders through their shared surge) and possibly the Voidbinding version of that Surge. So, using your example, Re-Shephir is likely connected to Illumination; which is why Shallan and Renarin more strongly felt her presence in Urithiru (as they both share the Surge of Illumination).

On 6/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, Treamayne said:

It could also be that the Unmade are more tied to a Surge (and therefore loosely connected to two Radiant Orders through their shared surge) and possibly the Voidbinding version of that Surge.

I've thought in the past that it might be "not one to one" since they actually line up with the 9 orders of Fused... which would be equivalent to corresponding to a Surge as you suggest.

Re-Shephir corresponding to Lightweavers seems confirmed by OB. But I'd suggest that it might actually be Transformation she's accessing, with creating Midnight Essence as linked to Soulcasting.

Moelach's future sight was what I was seeing as Illumination related (thus perhaps corresponding to Truthwatchers).

Sja-anat's Enlightenment could be Progression related.

Ashertmarn's effect of lowered inhibitions might be some kind of cognitive or spiritual Cohesion, shaping and softening minds/souls as the Cohesion Fused soften stone?

Nergaoul's Thrill could be a Cognitive or Spiritual Division.

If Adhesion is ruled out, Ba-ado-Mishram's bond abilities might be a kind of Spiritual Gravitation vaguely similar to the Windrunners' resonance?

That leaves Yelig-nar, Chemoarish, and Daigonarthis to link to Abrasion, Transportation, and Tension.

Chemoarish is "the Dustmother" which could suggest either Abrasion or Division, the Dustbringer Surges.

"Blightwind" could link Yelig-nar to Windrunners but there seems no correlation in effect; if anything the crystal transformation of his host seems more reminiscent of the Progression Fused.

Edited by cometaryorbit