Frustration

Fabrial Firearms.

38 posts in this topic

I think folks are mixing bits of the Basic Lashing and the Reverse Lashing, and the distinction as that I see is what is actually getting Invested. 

• Basic Lashings let you redirect the direction of a Person or Object's Gravitational Pull (relative to it's original Down).
  • Reverse Lashings, which the WoR arcanum called a specialized Basic Lashing but also a Resonance of Gravitation and Adhesion, will Pull anything toward itself (with the caveat that it works a lot less on things actively touching the ground and thus more Connected to it).

In Other words, Gravitation can only Redirect the "Down" vector of the person/object Invested, relative to Objective Gravity, and the lashing needs to be moved/reapplied to change direction.  A combination of Adhesion and Gravitation is required (per Ars Arcanum) is required to create an actual gravity well that pull things toward the Invested object.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:29 AM, Frustration said:

You would need a bondsmith if that's even possible. Lashings just do a direction, not towards an object.

It might be possible that an Elscaller could help too (though a Bondsmith would need to Connect things), since Elscallers apparently have some sort of realmic tracking capability No details, but Jasnah mentions it wasnt managing to locate the Heralds when she thought it should.  

On 6/26/2022 at 1:29 AM, Frustration said:

I've given some thoughts to ammo, and imagine painrail bullets. When they come into contact with an aboject they touch duralumin to the gem. If you get hit and somehow live, it will almost instantly render you uncontious.

I like it!  A similar one that Diminishes emotions to cause a stupor might be effective as well (or perhaps useful to Counter Nergoul and the Thrill).

Honestly I wonder if other Surges can be directly affixed to a Gem the way Lightweavers can with Illusions, so they wouldnt need a true independent Fabrial.  Anything from Reverse Lashing grenades to ranged Division could be a hell of a tactical advantage.  

I had a new ammo idea today.

Deathspren bullets, even if the shot itself doesn't kill, the fabrial should.

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

I had a new ammo idea today.

Deathspren bullets, even if the shot itself doesn't kill, the fabrial should.

How would one attract Deathspren into a Fabrial?

Just now, Nameless said:

How would one attract Deathspren into a Fabrial?

The same way you do a flamespren. Go near someone dying, and then draw the stormlight out of a gem. It might require a sighted Horneater, or a Singer, to find where they are at, but it should be possible.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

The same way you do a flamespren. Go near someone dying, and then draw the stormlight out of a gem. It might require a sighted Horneater, or a Singer, to find where they are at, but it should be possible.

Hm. A bullet-sized gemstone might not be very effective. Heating fabrials require large gemstones to heat a room, and while deathspren bullets would obviously be better than normal bullets, even getting the Fabrial into the spiritweb via shooting someone might not allow it to have enough of an effect to warrant the cost. Might be good against people with healing powers though, if you could get big enough bullets.

1 minute ago, Nameless said:

Hm. A bullet-sized gemstone might not be very effective. Heating fabrials require large gemstones to heat a room, and while deathspren bullets would obviously be better than normal bullets, even getting the Fabrial into the spiritweb via shooting someone might not allow it to have enough of an effect to warrant the cost. Might be good against people with healing powers though, if you could get big enough bullets.

Lol, I'm imagining Chasmfiend calliber elephant guns right now.

Just now, Frustration said:

Lol, I'm imagining Chasmfiend calliber elephant guns right now.

Well, at that point the force of impact would probably shatter the gemstone holding the deathspren. So as a whole not a very practical use of Fabrials. However, it would be deevy, which is all that really matters in the grand scale of things.

8 hours ago, Nameless said:

Well, at that point the force of impact would probably shatter the gemstone holding the deathspren. So as a whole not a very practical use of Fabrials. However, it would be deevy, which is all that really matters in the grand scale of things.

Put a shield of metal in front, the an opening in the sides for the gem to reach people. It may also make a shrill whistle which is all the more terrifying, and as Leonardo da Vinci believed, intimidation works better than destruction at subduing opposing militant forces.

Wouldn’t busted gemstones be great also, it’ll get into the mussel and creates infection even with regrowth, (as we know the body grows around the items not pushing them out)

10 minutes ago, Rg2045 said:

Wouldn’t busted gemstones be great also, it’ll get into the mussel and creates infection even with regrowth, (as we know the body grows around the items not pushing them out)

Would it? I don't think most people would view the shattered gemstone as part of themselves. @Frustration, is there a WoB on this?

If it doesn't though, there are probably better methods to this than gemstones, but at least you wouldn't have to enslave a spren. (The sibling thanks you)

1 minute ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Would it? I don't think most people would view the shattered gemstone as part of themselves. @Frustration, is there a WoB on this?

If it doesn't though, there are probably better methods to this than gemstones, but at least you wouldn't have to enslave a spren. (The sibling thanks you)

I’m using examples of healing in both stormlight and other cosmer works. Like when Sazed healed the rings in his body, shallan healing a bolt around her head. 

Sazed wanted to heal those rings there, I believe, and I don't recall exactly what happened with Shallan, but it's Shallan, so she may have had reason to do things different.

2 hours ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Sazed wanted to heal those rings there, I believe, and I don't recall exactly what happened with Shallan, but it's Shallan, so she may have had reason to do things different.

Sazed just tapped gold, he wasn't thinking about that.

Same with Shallan.